Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 09:03 PM

24,594 posts, read 9,427,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Their lives are over either way. A not guilty verdict doesn't give any other yahoos reason to believe they too can do this.

Ask Zimmerman.
Zimmerman is a free man and was acquitted. That’s a horrible example.

And plenty of yahoos believe they can do this whether it be at a bar, road rage, night club, strip club, party, etc. people get shot everyday in America.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:07 PM

10,668 posts, read 5,643,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Depends on how Georiga defines Assult

Common law definition:
Assault. an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm.

Most states do not require Battery, in addition, to assault IE actual contact with a person just the attempt to or Real threat of doing so, So just either the attempt or the ability to do so by brandishing a weapon in a threatening manner may qualify alone. Not mention actually shooting after giving chase. The act of following in the truck "itself a deadly weapon" with weapons drawn then jumping out the vehicle with the weapon likely qualifies in most states.

Ask a lawyer in Georiga.
Perhaps you missed where the GA law was posted and quoted. . .

Old 05-22-2020, 09:15 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,711,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
All true but none of that is the issue. They will claim all that was legal as they were trying to make a citizens arrest. And they will have legal experts testify that is true. So how do you convince a jury it is false.

You don't. They raise legal reasonable doubt and walk.
https://lucriasafinancial.com/legal-...ctly-reported/

Legal Issues in Arbery Murder Case Incorrectly Reported
'citizen’s arrest is largely irrelevant '

The Death Of Ahmed Arbery
WASHINGTON, D.C. (April 15, 2020) – Although much of the public discussion about the shooting death of Ahmed Arbery has centered around whether the defendants were authorized to make a citizen’s arrest, that legal issue is largely irrelevant to the most likely successful defense to the charge of murder which is Georgia’s stand-your-ground self defense statute, argues public interest law professor John Banzhaf.

Banzhaf has successfully predicted – and provided a legal analysis for – many noteworthy justified self defense cases going back to subway shooter Bernhard Goetz, and more recently including George Zimmerman.

Whether or not Gregory and/or Travis McMichael would have the legal privilege to perform a citizen’s arrest – either as ordinary citizens, or because of Gregory’s former law enforcement involvement – makes no difference because they are not charged with unlawfully arresting Arbery. In any event, it might be difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they had in fact made such an attempt.

The defendants’ apparent belief that they had such a legal privilege – whether legally correct or not – probably explained why they followed and eventually confronted Arbery, who they may have believed had engaged in some wrongdoing.

Georgia’s Stand-Your-Ground Self Defense Law
At the time that Travis confronted Arbury, each had the protection of Georgia’s stand-your-ground self defense law [§16-3-21] which permits any person to use force [and in this case probably deadly force since a gun was involved] “against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself . . . against such other´s imminent use of unlawful force.”

Under the stand-your-ground portion, neither has any legal duty to try to retreat, defuse the situation, etc. So each may have had a legal privilege to use force against the other.

In other words, Arbery was privileged to engage in a violent and possibly life-threatening attack upon Travis if he reasonably believed – because of what Travis may have said, and because he was carrying a gun – that it was necessary to protect himself from imminent use of deadly force.

However, if Arbery did attack Travis, the latter could then be legally privileged to shoot Arbery if he felt it was necessary to protect himself, or even his father.

Legally Privileged To Shoot Arbery
More precisely, Travis would be legally privileged to shoot Arbery – which should be a sufficient defense to any criminal charge, including murder – unless the prosecutor can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Travis did not have such a belief, or that the belief was not reasonable under the circumstances.

There is, as one might expect, an exception under the statute if the person claiming the privilege of self defense provoked the attack against himself, but only in a narrowly defined circumstance: “if he initially provokes the use of force against himself with the intent to use such force as an excuse to inflict bodily harm upon the assailant.”

So here, to avoid that problem, the prosecutor would have to prove, beyond any reasonable doubt, that Travis – by his words and/or actions – not only provoked Arbery to attack him, but that he did so intending to provoke Arbery so that he could then legally shoot him.

If the defendants choose not to testify in their own defense, it may be difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Travis did not reasonably believe that he had to use deadly force to defend himself, or that Travis deliberately provoked Arbery so that his shooting would be legally privileged under Georgia law.

Difficulties For The Prosecutor
On the other hand, if Travis testifies that he either said nothing to Arbery, or that his words were not sufficient to provoke an attack (e.g., “may I ask what you are doing here”), it might also be difficult for the prosecutor to prove the contrary, especially beyond a reasonable doubt.

Banzhaf notes that another Georgia statute – Provocation by Words Alone [§2.10.42] provides that “provocation by words alone will, in no case, justify such excitement of passion . . .,” although “words accompanied by menaces, though the menaces do not amount to an actual assault, may in some instances be sufficient provocation.”

So defense counsel may well argue that even if Travis’s words were confrontational and/or insulting (e.g., “what are you doing here n*gg*r?”), they are legally insufficient to justify any kind of attack by the person (Arbery) they were addressed to.

In short, says Banzhaf, the real issues in this murder trial are what happened between the time when Travis first approached Arbery and the time he shot Arbery, and not whether he or his father may have had, and/or tried to utilize, any legal authority to make a citizens’ arrest, suggests Banzhaf.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:20 PM

5,975 posts, read 2,230,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Perhaps you missed where the GA law was posted and quoted. . .
I think you missed a key point here that will be argued. If Arbery was pursued for several minutes by men in two 2000lb trucks and attempted to impede his path at any point, that can be considered the assault and initiation of the altercation well before the McMichael #1 exited the vehicle. Another key factor we do not know which is "were threats made during the chase"? Also did Papa on the back of the truck have a weapon out? Was he spewing threats the entire time, I assume that 4 min video has audio that matters quite a lot.

I know as much as you do on this case, which is very little in actuality. So you're making logical jumps and filling holes with what "you think might have happened" as I did above. I still don't get why people are defending these idiots in the first place.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,328,597 times
Quote:
Actually, the attack happened at contact distance. And it was precipitated by the entire distance that Arbery covered to get to Travis. 40+ yards in the video clip we have, plus whatever additional distance he covered prior to where that video clip starts.
Arbery covered a hundred yards or more to approach the McMichaels vehicle. But it was the path he was on not one to get at the McMichaels. So please knock off the silliness. Arbery simply continued on his route until blocked by a gunman and then dodged to the other side of the truck only to be again confronted by the guman at the front of the truck. Then all hell happens.

Last edited by lvmensch; 05-22-2020 at 09:32 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm considering that you might be right, after reading and rereading this statute.

I've never seen anything like the laws I'm reading in Georgia.

So. In Georgia, it's the exact same crime to point a gun at someone in a threatening way but NOT shoot, as it is to point a gun at someone and shoot them, but not kill them? That seems almost unbelievable to me.

I'm sincerely asking. It appears you might be right. That pointing a gun at someone constitutes Aggravated Assault, and pointing a gun at them and shooting also is the exact same charge.

I'm beginning to shake my head at Georgia. Who proofreads their laws? I've also learned in this thread that entering someone's home and hanging out there is absolutely fine, as long as you don't commit a separate crime while you're at it. If you only open an unlocked door or open an unlocked window and enter and hang out, or really, spend the night, while the family is sleeping in other rooms, is just fine. Or join them at the dinner table for a family dinner until they order you out. No crime committed.
Never crossed your mind that the law was written that way with intent? The South had to make those laws work to protect those they wanted to protect in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's,... You get the point.

We are talking deep south here guys.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I think you missed a key point here that will be argued. If Arbery was pursued for several minutes by men in two 2000lb trucks and attempted to impede his path at any point, that can be considered the assault and initiation of the altercation well before the McMichael #1 exited the vehicle. Another key factor we do not know which is "were threats made during the chase"? Also did Papa on the back of the truck have a weapon out? Was he spewing threats the entire time, I assume that 4 min video has audio that matters quite a lot.

I know as much as you do on this case, which is very little in actuality. So you're making logical jumps and filling holes with what "you think might have happened" as I did above. I still don't get why people are defending these idiots in the first place.
My response was to jjrose who claimed the following:

Quote:
Quote:
Having a weapon is not enough. One must assault WITH the weapon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose
Not according to the law, which I quoted and bolded. Sorry if you have reading comprehension issues, but it is plain English.
As usual, he was wrong.

Feel free to quote me where you believe I’ve filled in holes with what I “think might have happened.”

Old 05-22-2020, 09:34 PM

35,564 posts, read 17,911,118 times
Quote:
Never crossed your mind that the law was written that way with intent? The South had to make those laws work to protect those they wanted to protect in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's,... You get the point.

We are talking deep south here guys.
Um, no. It didn't cross my mind that the law was written that you could shoot someone OR just simply point a gun at them and that would be the exact same crime. I think I'm missing your point.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Arbery covered a hundred yards or more to approach the McMichaels vehicle. But it was the path he was on not one to get at the McMichaels. So please knock off the silliness. Arbery simply continued on his route until blocked by a gunman and then dodged to the other side of the truck only to be again confronted by the guman at the front of the truck. Then all hell happens.
Do tell us about the legal principle of “the path one is on,” particularly in the context of this case. I’m sure many of us will find it very interesting.

Given that Arbery cut to the left across the front of the truck and attacked Travis, how are you concluding that Travis confronted Arbery at the front of the truck?

I’m fine with discussing differences of opinion and analyses of what occurred, but if you are going to disregard what is clearly visible in the video and substitute your own unfounded version of alternative events, we don’t have anything to discuss, and you can go continue your mutual affirmation sessions with the rest of the fact fabricators in this thread.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
My response was to jjrose who claimed the following:

As usual, he was wrong.

Feel free to quote me where you believe I’ve filled in holes with what I “think might have happened.”
What happened before the 30-second clip, its a 4 min video and we do not quite know the timeline between the 911 call and the start of the pursuit? You start you analysis of what happened at the end of the altercation thereby assuming the McMichaels only ever had "Good Intent", were model citizens during the pursuit but DO NOT provide that same luxury to Arbury at any time. You do not start them on equal footing and have biased your view of the situation well before you know enough facts to make an educated guess. You are speculating at the motive or you are 100% sold on their or their lawyer's explanation.

In summary you know exactly what I know right now, Not a damn thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies