Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 09:59 PM

10,708 posts, read 5,651,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
What happened before the 30-second clip, its a 4 min video and we do not quite know the timeline between the 911 call and the start of the pursuit? You start you analysis of what happened at the end of the altercation thereby assuming the McMichaels only ever had "Good Intent", were model citizens during the pursuit but DO NOT provide that same luxury to Arbury at any time. You do not start them on equal footing and have biased your view of the situation well before you know enough facts to make an educated guess. You are speculating at the motive or you are 100% sold on their or their lawyer's explanation.

In summary you know exactly what I know right now, Not a damn thing.
You’ve been in this thread long enough to know that’s not what I’ve been doing. The post that’s apparently got you all bent out of shape is a response to a very particular claim by jjrose. How you could assume that somehow establishes my entire position on this issue is baffling.

My position has been abundantly clear throughout this thread. Assuming that the McMichaels were some sort of model citizens has never been part of my position. If you claim that’s what I’ve done, you’re no better than the rest of the fact fabricators.

Edited to add: I know what I can see in the video. I have no idea what you know.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:03 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Arbery covered a hundred yards or more to approach the McMichaels vehicle. But it was the path he was on not one to get at the McMichaels. So please knock off the silliness. Arbery simply continued on his route until blocked by a gunman and then dodged to the other side of the truck only to be again confronted by the guman at the front of the truck. Then all hell happens.
Agreed. The video appears to have them both reaching and rounding their respective corners of the truck at the same time or so close to the same time that they both clearly knew the direction the other was going.

Whatever their reasons they both did the same thing on either side of the truck. The only difference is that Arbery was in better shape and closed the difference faster.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 PM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You’ve been in this thread long enough to know that’s not what I’ve been doing. The post that’s apparently got you all bent out of shape is a response to a very particular claim by jjrose. How you could assume that somehow establishes my entire position on this issue is baffling.

My position has been abundantly clear throughout this thread. Assuming that the McMichaels were some sort of model citizens has never been part of my position. If you claim that’s what I’ve done, you’re no better than the rest of the fact fabricators.

Edited to add: I know what I can see in the video. I have no idea what you know.
Someone got touchy fast hehe. I have no idea what your position is, but this can serve as an opportunity to clearly state what it is. Feel free

I promise I won't roll any eyes, I'm not sensitive like that.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:11 PM

Does anyone know how things work in GA regarding stand your ground defense.

For example, in FL if you are using stand your ground as a defense to a murder charge, there is first a hearing on the stand your ground issue. If you win that, no trial on the murder charge. If you lose, on to court to face the murder charge.

Does GA work the same way or the whole slew of issues is decided in one trial?

Old 05-22-2020, 10:12 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
It would have been wiser for the McMichaels to have simply videotaped Aubrey and provided it to police.

As it stands Aubrey presented no physical harm in what he was doing. He was hurting no one. The McMichaels, however- did escalate the situation with an armed confrontation.

Big difference.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Agreed. The video appears to have them both reaching and rounding their respective corners of the truck at the same time or so close to the same time that they both clearly knew the direction the other was going.

Whatever their reasons they both did the same thing on either side of the truck. The only difference is that Arbery was in better shape and closed the difference faster.
We see Travis backing out to the left as soon as Arbery disappears in front of the truck. He had to already be in front of the truck for that to happen.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Someone got touchy fast hehe. I have no idea what your position is, but this can serve as an opportunity to clearly state what it is. Feel free

I promise I won't roll any eyes, I'm not sensitive like that.
If you misconstrue (or flat out lie) about my position, I’m going to call you out on it. It’s not being touchy.

I’ve made it very clear where I stand during my entire involvement in this thread. Not my problem if you can’t keep up.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
We see Travis backing out to the left as soon as Arbery disappears in front of the truck. He had to already be in front of the truck for that to happen.
What is your point in saying that?

Old 05-22-2020, 10:30 PM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE0ySoLE5Gc

Quote:
On Friday, the authorities said Mr. Bryan, who also is white, had been more than a bystander, and had done more than record the final 30 seconds of Mr. Arbery’s life.

In charging him with murder, officials said that Mr. Bryan, who had joined the pursuit of Mr. Arbery and filmed the confrontation in late February from a short distance, had contributed to his death by attempting to “confine and detain” Mr. Arbery with his vehicle. Mr. Bryan, 50, was also charged with criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment.

“If we believed he was a witness, we wouldn’t have arrested him,” Vic Reynolds, the director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, told reporters at a news conference on Friday.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
What is your point in saying that?
Your claim that they got there at the same time is not supported by the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies