Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 11:52 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know the answer to this, but there is some thought that it's a felony to fire your gun while sitting in a car, and it's likely he knew that.
Huh?

Old 05-23-2020, 11:54 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil1_Munny View Post
I was focusing more on the double standards of stereotyping white people you've never met simply because of their appearance.

From what I've been told, using skin color to prejudge someone is a bad thing. Using slurs based on skin color is a bad thing.

And people who do that should not be taken seriously. There's a term used quite regularly for people who judge someone's IQ based on their skin color, while giving another person a pass, based on their skin color.

That would be a hypocritical racist.

I've known people like that too. I try to avoid them, or point out their hypocrisy.
How about we call them chuckleheads?

Old 05-23-2020, 11:59 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
He lost in civil court and his life was ruined.

He's a great example of why these sorts of actions are a bad idea.
He lost to who in civil court?

He sued people in civil court and those cases aren't going anywhere. He has not been sued by Trayvon's family in civil court as the laws of Florida (thankfully, from where I stand) are more firmly on his side following his acquittal and he'd have the right to go after anyone suing him for civil costs. Note, FL law also allows for a determination of immunity in stand your ground cases in civil cases.

As for his life being ruined, I don't know enough about the man to say that. Either what he was doing before the Trayvon Martin death or in the years afterward.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:05 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
I don't know the answer to this, but there is some thought that it's a felony to fire your gun while sitting in a car, and it's likely he knew that.
Are you saying that Travis had anticipated firing his gun at Arbery?

That's premeditation.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Are you saying that Travis had anticipated firing his gun at Arbery?

That's premeditation.
I don't know what to make of it. Why DID he get out of his car? It seems if his only motivation is to get Arbery to stand still, that isn't going to help. I really doubt he intended to give chase on foot, which would be a good reason to exit the vehicle, but that seems very unlikely. I was struck by this clause in the Aggravated Assault law in Georgia, and it caught my eye:

Aggravated Assault
Aggravated assault, a felony in Georgia, is an assault that is committed:

with the intent to rob, rape or murder
with a deadly weapon or any object that can be or is used in a manner that results in serious bodily injury or strangulation, or
by discharging a firearm from a vehicle.

(Ga. Code Ann. § 16-5-21).

Old 05-23-2020, 12:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil1_Munny View Post
I love the slow-mo video or the gun felon/thief jogging at Travis McMichael, showing him raising, then lowering his weapon, when the threat to him subsides.

Lowering your weapon is an obvious statement and clear signal that you don't intend to fire your weapon. And it's plain the gun felon/thief saw it, because he changed course, the continued to keep "jogging" by the truck, when the weapon was lowered.

Kind of proves, he wasn't in immediate fear of bodily harm.

The McMichaels had many, many opportunities to shoot the escaping gun felon/thief. And they demonstrated over and over again, in plain sight that they didn't intend to shoot him. Even when the gun felon/thief was running directly at Travis, he showed restraint and lowered his weapon.

The only actual evidence clearly shows opportunity, but no intention to shoot.

Everything else, every other argument is speculation. "He was in fear!" It was fight or flight." "He was getting out of his truck because firing from it is a felony." "Vigiliantes"

Speculation Assumptions. Opinions. Beliefs, Prejudice.

The only evidence shows Travis lowered his gun.

That and Arbery attacked.
The attorneys for Greg McMichael have stated that the video in the public purview isn't the only video there is (although they haven't stated they have video of the actual moment the gun went off, but I'm hopeful) and I'd like to see it. I don't see what you're seeing on the video - from what I can tell, all that action takes place in front of the truck out of the view of the camera, and it happens FAST.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
I don't know what to make of it. Why DID he get out of his car? It seems if his only motivation is to get Arbery to stand still, that isn't going to help. I really doubt he intended to give chase on foot, which would be a good reason to exit the vehicle, but that seems very unlikely. I was struck by this clause in the Aggravated Assault law in Georgia, and it caught my eye:

Aggravated Assault
Aggravated assault, a felony in Georgia, is an assault that is committed:

with the intent to rob, rape or murder
with a deadly weapon or any object that can be or is used in a manner that results in serious bodily injury or strangulation, or
by discharging a firearm from a vehicle.

(Ga. Code Ann. § 16-5-21).
And......so shooting at Arbery from outside the truck is ok but he was worried he'd get charged with aggravated assault if he did it from inside the vehicle?

That makes no sense.

He got out of his truck with his shotgun and his Daddy was in the bed of the truck with a handgun to threaten Arbery into stopping for them.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:30 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
These two idiots are going to be grease monkeys in the big house.

Old 05-23-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
These two idiots are going to be grease monkeys in the big house.
Mechanics?

Old 05-23-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyplayer1 View Post
Nope don’t call the cops just become vigilantes like these idiots did? Why are there no police reports if the kept calling the cops and nothing was done?
That's a mystery. I don't know why LE originally said there were no police calls, and English also stated he never called the police.

He did, and the recordings of some of the calls are posted a few pages back. In one call, he was reporting a suspicious car under a bridge that resembled a car at his property when his fishing equipment had been stolen, and he referenced Officer Rash as the officer he had been working with in the past when he caught intruders on his camera.

I don't know why we haven't seen the police reports, but at least 3 times he called and asked an officer to come check his property and call him back when that was done. I'm guessing they went and called him back to tell him they found it intact.

I would think that would merit at least a very brief police report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies