Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 11:11 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I agree.

There is simply no possible good reason they didnt dial 911 the minute they hopped into that truck.

Greg only called 911 when he realized they were losing control of the situation and it was all going south....no pun intended.
Getting a sense that Greg McMichael might have felt "empowered" by police communications prior to the incident, but forgot the vital lesson that without a uniform or badge the only authority you have, is that which you can make others believe.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:14 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The major difference between this case and Zimmerman's is that at least Zimmerman was only following Martin and did not try to intercept or stop him. Martin did not have to make an effort to avoid Zimmerman. That is, Zimmerman never actually put Martin into a stand-your-ground situation.

This situation is closer in the critical facts of the situation to the Michael Drejka case with regards to who began the confrontation and the application of the self-defense defense. In that case, I myself would make a strong case for self defense...except that Drejka initiated the confrontation. Now he's serving a 20-year sentence.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/10/76908...-gets-20-years
Exactly.
This case more resembles the Drejka case where as a gun owner he iniated the confrontation and had no leg to stand on in claiming self defense.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil1_Munny View Post
So you're saying that a jury decided that even after a man was attacked, knocked to the ground, he doesn't have the right to attack the person who physically assaulted him? That his apprehension of violent injury wasn't high enough to justify self defense.

Wow, that looks bad for claims that Arbery was acting self defense.

The McMichaels didn't hit, punch or use any type of force against him.

Good article, thanks for the link.

Hey did you see what happened to the guy in prison? A sweet innocent unarmed black convict tried to kill him in revenge for "his brother".
Drejka had a history of confronting people in parking lots when they parked in Handicap Spots without a tag. He also was involved in a road rage incident and threatened the other driver with his gun. He was a loose gun.
It was only a matter of time before his luck ran out and confronted the wrong person.

It is also matter of common sense and personal responsibility as a gun owner.
I'm not going to go walking down the street confronting people when they do something wrong armed or not because eventually I will confront the wrong person and pay for it.

Last edited by J746NEW; 05-25-2020 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 11:28 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil1_Munny View Post
Now. you're just making stuff up.

Or did you find another video? Great! And it shows Travis "aimed his gun at him"?

Well that settles it, that new video is the clincher and a real game changer, because I never saw Travis aiming his gun in the old video.

Or did all that happen in your head? You're guessing? Imagining? Surmising? Finding things not in evidence?
you can only sees what appears to be a rising of the shotgun in an enlarged view

video:

https://imgur.com/BkIll8W

this video loops, plays over and over. Click the expand symbol on lower right to go to full screen.

Keep your eyes on Travis McMichaels the whole time.

That line that the arrow is pointing to is likely the shotgun. You will see how it moves in the video.
The NY Times did a video analysis where they said Greg McMichaels standing up in bed of the truck on the phone with 911 and interrupting himself saying "Stop" etc. right before the shooting.
He accidentally drops the phone and then exists the truck with his 357 magnum.
Another question that comes up is if he was only making the phone call why are his elbows up?
Could it be that he was holding the cell phone and pointing the gun?

I suspect that if either or both of them were pointing guns at Ahamud Arbery they would be scared to lie about it because of knowing this could be enlarged or someone could have witnessed it.
The prosecution will argue that Arbery is in the process of turning, his body language is floppy here and he was never trying to rush them and if he did after this , when he moved to the front o the truck, this was after the guns came out.
If he did that why would he try such a risky move? Maybe they had pulled the guns earlier, the McMichaels had opportunity to shoot him but didn't so he got confident that he could grab the gun.
This means he would not have been in fear of his life. However this would require that the McMichaels say that they had pointed their guns at an earlier point in time. So this becomes a very complex scenario as to intent because if they say they pointed their guns earlier they will be asked why and that is a problem.

Last edited by jonbenson; 05-25-2020 at 12:24 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
you can only sees what appears to be a rising of the shotgun in an enlarged view

video:

https://imgur.com/BkIll8W

this video loops, plays over and over. Click the expand symbol on lower right to go to full screen.

Keep your eyes on Travis McMichaels the whole time.

The NY Times did a video analysis where they said Greg McMichaels standing up in bed of the truck on the phone with 911 and interrupting himself saying "Stop" etc. right before the shooting.
He accidentally drops the phone and then exists the truck with his 357 magnum.
Another question that comes up is if he was only making the phone call why are his elbows up?
Could it be that he was holding the cell phone and pointing the gun?

I suspect that if either or both of them were pointing guns at Ahamud Arbery they would be scared to lie about it because of knowing this could be enlarged or someone could have witnessed it.
The prosecution will argue that Arbery is in the process of turning, his body language is floppy here and he was never trying to rush them and if he did after this , when he moved to the front o the truck, this was after the guns came out
Yep, you can definitely see him raising his gun in a threatening manner.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Yep, you can definitely see him raising his gun in a threatening manner.
What have they done there, with that clip? You can't see that (or anyway I can't) in the original video. They've added something - suddenly there is like a light saber looking thing that doesn't appear that way in the original video. I looks like a raised barrel of a gun.

Here's what I believe to be the original, unretouched video. On my screen I've set it to play at .25 slow motion, it may not be set that way when anyone else clicks on it. You can set slow mo by clicking "settings" and then "speed".

You can't see anything that looks like a gun being raised in this original, that you can see in the looping clip posted above. They've added it. Or enhanced it. Something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIve...ctr=1590432243

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-25-2020 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 12:20 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times

Old 05-25-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What have they done there, with that clip? You can't see that (or anyway I can't) in the original video. They've added something - suddenly there is like a light saber looking thing that doesn't appear that way in the original video. I looks like a raised barrel of a gun.

Here's what I believe to be the original, unretouched video. On my screen I've set it to play at .25 slow motion, it may not be set that way when anyone else clicks on it. You can set slow mo by clicking "settings" and then "speed".

You can't see anything that looks like a gun being raised in this original, that you can see in the looping clip posted above. They've added it. Or enhanced it. Something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIve...ctr=1590432243
Yea, I looked at the youtube version just now and do not see it either.
However, it is not blown up like the clip is so it is hard to make out more detail.

Still, it is also that same moment when Ahmaud decides to go to the right.
And we can tell Travis intercepts him on the other side in order to cut him off further in the footage.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
The light with Travis raising his arms, doesn't look inconsistent with other changes in light with the background.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyplayer1 View Post
I can see the same the gun being raised in the video you posted. It is almost right before Roddy swerves to the right. I now think Roddy swerved because he saw the gun raised and thought the murderer was going to shoot.
I went back and watched both, with my screen on full brightness, full screen stretch, and a strong magnifying glass.

I don't see the same thing in the original video, although I do see some movement I couldn't detect before. It looks to me, but I can't tell, that T McMichaels turns to the side and holds his right arm out for a half second. At any rate, whatever that thing is that moves doesn't appear to be held at an angle where he could site a target in. It looks like his forearm and it doesn't look to me to be in the position of a gun raised in preparation for shooting.

In the looping clip, something has been done to alter it, that much I think we can all agree. Whether that "something" is just a lightening the figure to try to make it clearer to the viewer, or whether that change is actually altering the image to show something that didn't happen, I don't know.

At the time this movement happens, in both videos, Arbery is running directly at T. McMichaels, which may have made McMichaels raise his gun, which probably would have made Arbery switch course and try to catch him off guard in front of the truck, which would provide him a little time and cover before trying to take the gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies