Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 10:12 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Tax, I'm truthfully trying to understand you. Sincerely.

What did you mean to ask, in post #7159? I do realize many posters in this thread are very bored with this back and forth. I'm truly trying to give you the chance to explain yourself.
Have you researched the legal principle of “proximate cause”? Two minutes is all it will take.

You’re “giving me a chance” to explain myself? ROTFL!

Old 05-25-2020, 10:12 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Larry English lied in the interview. He made 911 calls about thefts but in the interview pretended he didn't.
He also said other neighbors having surveillance video a black man casing properties with a Ford Elderado following.
He told 911 about a couple also and they turned out to be having gone into his boat.
There was Travis McMichaels who reported a handgun stolen and another neighbor some rifles.
There was a Facebook group that was monitoring these things.
These things don't mean Ahamaud Arbery was involved but it means Arbery was on private property at night is the context of thefts and other suspicious things on video (assuming such video can be produced)
Do you have a link to that information that you can share? That's the first I have seen of that.

As for English's take on what happened...........I think from my memory of English's interviews that he was very careful to distinguish between reporting and filed a report probably based on counsel from his attorney. Calling 911 is not necessarily filing a report imo.

He is also very clear both in the 911 calls and his interviews as saying he did not report Arbery as being a thief of anything. As far as he as said, the only thing stolen from his property is possibly his fishing equipment which he doesnt know when/where it was stolen and if it was stolen from the house under construction he suspected the white couple that entered the property with some kind of bag.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:17 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
No it wasn't and hasn't been decided yet. At least legally.

One side thinks it was due to Arbery trying to take the gun from Travis.

The other side thinks it was due to the actions of the McMichaels forcing the confrontation.

Interesting. One would think this (was Arbery pulling at the gun or not) has already been determined by the wound or perhaps gunpowder on Arbery's hands or clothes. Why should it matter?

My take.... this was a half-ass attempted citizens arrests which got out of control. Yes, I believe Arbery was inside the property looking for something to steal. The other two saw him go inside and decided to chase him down. See what he might have taken and perhaps make a citizens arrest. Arbery told them to f-off or something of that nature at which point the confrontation heated up and Arbery was shot.

Except that the other two did not see Arbery go inside at that time. Greg McMichael only saw him running down the street and recognized him as someone he'd seen in a surveillance video days earlier...not stealing anything.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Do you have a link to that information that you can share? That's the first I have seen of that.

As for English's take on what happened...........I think from my memory of English's interviews that he was very careful to distinguish between reporting and filed a report probably based on counsel from his attorney. Calling 911 is not necessarily filing a report imo.

He is also very clear both in the 911 calls and his interviews as saying he did not report Arbery as being a thief of anything. As far as he as said, the only thing stolen from his property is possibly his fishing equipment which he doesnt know when/where it was stolen and if it was stolen from the house under construction he suspected the white couple that entered the property with some kind of bag.
did you watch the videos I posted on page 687?

a couple of those videos have not been covered by the news

Last edited by jonbenson; 05-25-2020 at 10:32 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 10:33 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Except that the other two did not see Arbery go inside at that time. Greg McMichael only saw him running down the street and recognized him as someone he'd seen in a surveillance video days earlier...not stealing anything.
O.k. the reason McMichael went after the guy was because he thought he recognized Arbery as someone he'd seen in surveillance videos earlier.

Did McMichael see him take anything? No. My guess is although he didn't see Arbery take anything he wanted to question him. So, he and his son grab some guns and off they went. Arbery knowing he didn't take anything told them to f-off and to leave him alone. The father and son said no. You're waiting here. The confrontation then quickly turned violent.

Arbery's family has previously confirmed to CNN that one video, dated February 23, 2020, was of him entering the house prior to the shooting.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...rbery-visited/

Last edited by john3232; 05-25-2020 at 10:57 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
O.k. so the reason McMichael went after the guy was because he recognized Arbery as someone he'd seen in surveillance videos earlier.

Did McMicheals say what the person in those surveillance videos was doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NvaQP47Vq0

AUDIO: Feb 11th 911 call by Travis McMichael before the Feb 23 shooting

__________________________________________________ _________________

February 23

AUDIO
FEB 23 DAY OF SHOOTING
Call #1 unidentified neighbor
Call #2 Gregory McMichaels, right before shooting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK83dccqdhQ

Last edited by jonbenson; 05-25-2020 at 11:34 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 11:06 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NvaQP47Vq0

Feb 11th 911 call by Travis McMichael before the Feb 23 shooting

O.k. so that's why they went after Arbery. Did they see him take anything no. My guess is yes Arbery was up to no good. Nevertheless he didn't steal anything. So, when he was confronted he told the father/son to f-off and leave him alone. At which point the confrontation got heated fast.

The father/son likely thought because they were armed Arbery would wait with them for the police to arrive.

But Arbery and the father got into a tussle and Arbery was killed.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:09 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Proximate is a mainstream word. Proximate cause is a common and well understood legal principle. There is no shame in not knowing what those words mean, only in assuming incorrectly.

While I am very precise in my language, nothing I’ve posted even remotely approaches what you describe above.

If you’d like, you could quote me doing what you claim, rather than yet again, making something up to support your position.
BS the word proximate is never used in everyday language. It is almost always/only used in legal terms, maybe medical terms or some other very precise situation that requires it. Perhaps in a lecture by a professor or maybe its a clue in a crossword puzzle.

Never heard anyone anywhere use it in everyday language.

Everyday language in everyday conversation, nah, this word is never used even by the most highly educated.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
he was confronted he told the father/son to f-off and leave him alone. At which point the confrontation got heated fast.

No report Arbery said anything

Quote:

But Arbery and the father got into a tussle and Arbery was killed.
No the son, Travis

wikipedia:

Shooting of Ahmaud Arbery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Ahmaud_Arbery

full police report
reference [59] archived version

Last edited by jonbenson; 05-25-2020 at 11:21 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 11:16 PM

Both proximate and approximate come from the latin proximāre, which means close or near. Both proximate and approximate indicate being near or close to something, but approximate is usually used to indicate being within a certain range of a goal, while proximate usually means physically close. When talking about measurements, you'd say that a sharp stick is approximately three inches long, meaning its length is near to, but not exactly, three inches.

If you said the stick was proximate to my eye, that would mean the stick is physically close to my eye.

Both are usually adjectives, but can also be verbs. However approximate as a verb is much more common than proximate.

I don't hear average people saying "proximate"

Last edited by jonbenson; 05-25-2020 at 11:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies