Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 06:25 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,656,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
It took over a decade to find effective AIDS treatments. Do you want to stay in lockdown that long?

The scary thing is...still no AIDS vaccine in 40 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 06:27 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
The scary thing is...still no AIDS vaccine in 40 years!
But vastly better treatment. AIDS is no longer a death sentence.

It may be that we end up with treatments vs true prevention with covid 19. We can't yet know.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:01 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
I have often wondered the same thing. If I exercise my RIGHT to assembly and be out and about with others who are doing the same, how am I a threat to your health?

Going by this same logic...

- Am I also a threat to your health if I drive on the road? After all, I might make a drastic mistake while driving and cause an accident.
- Am I also a threat to your health if I let my kid play football and potentially injure another kid? Cause a concussion?
- Am I a threat to your safety by exercising my right to free speech and saying something offensive? Something politically incorrect?
- Am I a threat to your health by driving a gas-guzzling SUV that you believe is causing global warming?

See this for what it is, folks. Many of the pro-lockdown folks are die-hard leftists, authoritarian to the core. It's becoming quite scary how their solution is to censor, lock down, and ban anything that they don't agree with. If any person exercising their RIGHT and LIBERTY conflicts with the "common good," well too bad according to them. That's anti-American and has no place in this country. People give the government power, not the other way around.

Listen to this wonderful explanation of how Gov. Noem (South Dakota) explained that she would NOT be enacting any more authoritarian (and unconstitutional, I might add) protocols:

“Our state motto is – ‘Under God, the people rule.’ That is what our system of government is all about. The people of South Dakota are the source of the power and the legitimacy of our government, not the media, not the politicians, not political parties. That's a healthy perspective for an elected official to keep in mind,” Noem said on Tuesday.

“So in today's plan, I am not announcing any new government programs, more red tape, more prescriptive phases or tight controls or anything like that. That is not South Dakota. Rather, the plan I'm unveiling today puts the power of the decision making into the hands of the people where it belongs. Today's plan relies on South Dakotans to continue to exercise common sense, reasonableness, innovation and a commitment to themselves, their families and in turn, their communities.”

https://www.mrctv.org/blog/gov-noem-...MdJGPXNpOkQyMM

How refreshing is that? A politician that truly gets it- power to the people to make their own choices. Where they can weigh the risks and act accordingly and don't require a nanny government to tell them what to do. Makes me want to pack up and move there immediately!
She has probably done the best job of any governor in the country in terms of balancing physical and economic health, while respecting the constitution. I hope she has a higher position on the national stage in her future.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:12 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Is it your own damn fault if someone shoots you in the chest?

Should we all wear chest protectors?

What if a bomb is accidentally dropped on your house while ya hunkered down? Is that your own damn fault?
I knew some ridiculous comparison was coming, Lol.

You know the risk of leaving your home. It’s your fault if you get the rona. It’s not the asymptomatic person at the grocery store tossing covid19 around like confetti.

If you’re well protected you won’t get it. I don’t know why that’s hard to grasp for some people.

But let’s just blame the asymptomatic stranger if you get infected. Yeah, let’s start suing them if you test positive, lmao

Old 05-08-2020, 08:15 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Typhoid Mary was found to be a chronic carrier of that bug.

We don't yet know if someone can chronically carry covid 19. I know my wife was positive for at least 6 weeks. She has had to stay isolated even before covid 19 due to bone marrow problems.
Well now they are finding the Covid 19 in male Sperm - I have no idea what that means for a pregnancy - but it’s obvious it’s not just a cough or lung related illness.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...hinese-doctors

Old 05-08-2020, 09:22 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,892,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Well now they are finding the Covid 19 in male Sperm - I have no idea what that means for a pregnancy - but it’s obvious it’s not just a cough or lung related illness.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...hinese-doctors
So stay locked in your home and avoid sperm. Not so hard.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I knew some ridiculous comparison was coming, Lol.

You know the risk of leaving your home. It’s your fault if you get the rona. It’s not the asymptomatic person at the grocery store tossing covid19 around like confetti.

If you’re well protected you won’t get it. I don’t know why that’s hard to grasp for some people.

But let’s just blame the asymptomatic stranger if you get infected. Yeah, let’s start suing them if you test positive, lmao
I don’t think it’s possible to completely eliminate all risk. I figure I’ve reduced my odds of getting it by 95 to 98 percent.

I actually agree in most of the country government should be getting out of the way. But it’s idiots who don’t take the simplest precautions who will eff things up. Ya can act responsibly without government requiring you to do so. Ya can have some sympathy for them old sick people and not sneeze on them and tell them they should have stayed home. Government should not have to enforce common decency.

I don’t always wear a mask but when I sneeze I pull up my shirt to cover my nose and mouth and try to restrain it if I’m indoors in a public place.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:18 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I choose to be free. I choose to have liberty, how does that threaten your health if you choose to house arrest?

The same can be said about this rushed untested vaccine that is going to be forced upon you....
If you are vaccinated, why are you worried I'm not. You are immune..... right?
You have to realize that there are actually people enjoying this. They like sitting at home, collecting a check for doing nothing. They enjoy being able to dictate their wishes to others and have law enforcement strip others of their rights and freedoms. Even more-they enjoy the opportunity to be all smug and "virtuous" while condemning others for exercising their rights.

Hard to believe these people call themselves Americans.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:30 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,892,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Everyone is vulnerable. All age groups are affected.
As they are by flu. In the 2018-19 flu season, 2,450 people between the ages of 18 and 49 died in the United States, according to the CDC. Far fewer have dies from COVID in that age range. We might as well stay locked down forever.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:42 PM

24,608 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Everyone is vulnerable. All age groups are affected.
Not really, many folks will recover or won’t even have signs unless you’re obese or elderly. You’re more at risk to die in a car accident on the way to the grocery store to hoard toilet paper.

There’s a reason America is already opening up and Sweden never even closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies