Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 06:58 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How can you include people in a statistic if they dont get tested ?

On that some note, how many people have died at home, but never got tested ?

They don't seem to have any problem including unconfirmed cases in the death counts.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 07:07 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
They don't seem to have any problem including unconfirmed cases in the death counts.....
Even if you genuinely believe neither should be counted, you do understand the difference between the 2 right ?

you could if you wanted to, define every person in America not showing any symptoms as "asymptomatic"

that could tally north of 300 million.

Deaths based on symptoms shown without a test, wouldnt even top 30,000 if all were included.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:13 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I choose to be free. I choose to have liberty, how does that threaten your health if you choose to house arrest?
Wow, you are so brave.

Donald Trump himself has suggested social distancing and staying home if possible, to avoid spreading or contracting a highly-contagious respiratory disease that has killed over 75,000 Americans in the past three months.

But you want to go outside even if you don't have to, because you "choose to be free."

Such a patriot!

Old 05-08-2020, 07:49 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Even if you genuinely believe neither should be counted, you do understand the difference between the 2 right ?

you could if you wanted to, define every person in America not showing any symptoms as "asymptomatic"

that could tally north of 300 million.

Deaths based on symptoms shown without a test, wouldnt even top 30,000 if all were included.

Exactly......

The problem is that all of these asymptomatic people are supposedly the whole reason for the shut downs and sheltering in place. . .but it's only an estimated number of people......

Then, they want to include unconfirmed, undiagnosed "probable" cases in the death rate.......

But leave out the estimate of asymptomatic from the total number of cases.

That means they're padding the numbers on the death toll but underestimating the total number of cases.

And the only reason to do that is to artificially raise the mortality rate statistics.

Whats the purpose behind that?

Old 05-08-2020, 07:53 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Actually no, while I have no doubt that there would be a percentage of the population that would require having a personal negative experience to change their view, there are plenty who either have had those types of personal experiences or will have them and yet since their beliefs are not grounded in selfishness, rather an understanding of the bigger picture, would still hold on to those views. That line of rationale typically is designed to give those expressing it a sense of moral superiority of those that don't.
BS- I am known as a workaholic- and have been working non stop since 16 yr of age, but unfortunately have also seen my children or grands suffer in an ICU, some for months, and to fully recoup even longer. If people are that cold-hearted to just move on after that experience, as if nothing happened, they have no soul.

This event is about being more careful - as you or I can hurt another with our breath. I have 3 family members unemployed, and we help each other out. We wear the masks and wash up- because we know what the ICU looks like- none of us want to ever spend any time visiting it again. EVER.

If people were not so careless we could hold the infection back much better. Its that simple- we should all return to work and could, but people have proven they don't give a ratz arse about anyone and think invincible. Taiwan has proven it can be done. No shut down just people who believe in helping one another. Minimum impact ! QUOTE "Taiwan has less than 400"."the wearing of face masks quickly becoming routine "

No worries, the states are returning, the economic damage is done. We could have been better prepared with PPE etc. but we stay in denial in the " it can't happen to me" mode. All will come out in time- We can discuss next spring. stay safe

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/asia/...hnk/index.html

Old 05-08-2020, 08:04 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There is no Democrat plan for this. You are being fed a myth from your conservative pundits.

My most conservative friends are PARANOID.......they are hiding away in their house not even going out for food.

My liberal friends -- met for wine on and outdoor patio and social distances -- lol.

You just make things up
hey if you want flaunt the CDC guidelines and at the same time support continuing to keep people out of work for fear of spreading the virus, I'm not surprised..

Old 05-08-2020, 08:10 AM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
BS- I am known as a workaholic- and have been working non stop since 16 yr of age, but unfortunately have also seen my children or grands suffer in an ICU, some for months, and to fully recoup even longer. If people are that cold-hearted to just move on after that experience, as if nothing happened, they have no soul.
Who said anything about 'moving on' (whatever that means)? I said that there are those who go through traumatic events for whom that event (or even events) doesn't change some fundamentally held beliefs. I never said that it didn't impact them in any way or that they magically 'moved on' as if nothing happened. There is a huge fundamental difference between those two scenarios and if it's your assertion that no one fits into the first, then I guess we'd have to agree to disagree.

BTW, sorry to hear about your loved one's having to suffer but happy to hear that they have, or are on their way, to recovering.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:20 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The rest of the country for the most part is working from home, getting unemployment, getting small business loans. Essential workers do not have the luxury of choice.
Gee, you make it sound so easy. Have you tried filing for unemployment these days? Spent hours on the phone just to get a repeating message and no contact with an actual human?

Have you tried to get one of those small business loans? We have. We haven't been able to get one.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:28 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
If you choose to be locked in your cave, how am I a threat to your health?

The rational, cognitive, civic minded, united majority of Americans have provided the answer to this. As have America's best science researchers, medical, public health and national security professionals.

Anyone who doesn't have the response on the tip of their tongues is willfully ignorant, IMO. Why are so few in our country being so prolifically tiresome in their attempt to divide Americans' collective commitment toward the common good?
Listen to yourself: "collective commitment toward the common good". And you have the audacity to say "America" in the same breath.

Because "the common good" is not "individual liberty". If you want to live in a communist society, I have a few countries I could suggest to you.

If you believe in individual liberty, which is what this country is about, not communism ("for the common good" is the biggest give away), then you would quit pushing for people to go along with the herd who believes the government is their bestest friend.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:30 AM

23,986 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
If you didnt have the written record of being supportive of Leftist causes with government control of medicine, labor, and wealth, I may take you at your word here.

Unfortunately you've left a trail of writing that exposes you as one that sees America and what it stands for as the enemy.
You see the Constitution as a hindrance to your side's objectives.

You see this China-provided sickness as a perfect opportunity to ramp up more heavy-handed government controls.

We know what's going on here.
Does that mean he is less than human? Anti American due to a different point of view? Geez.

Don't like China? Stop shopping, buying stock in companies that do business with Chinese. Triple the tariffs on anything sold in the USA that was made in China. Forbid cabinet officers from taking any money from Chinese relatives. Forbid any current or retired elected person from earning any money from a Chinese connection.

That'll teach them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies