Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 08:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don’t know about New York but I know from relatives who have been in nursing homes in three different states, long before this happened, that if someone had a serious infectious disease they were transferred to the hospital until they were non-contagious because the nursing homes had neither the facilities, equipment, or personnel to properly protect other patients from getting it. The guy down the hall from my uncle, who he palled around with, was transferred to the hospital, along with his roommate, when they tested positive for strep throat.

No, they were not effectively equipped to deal with a deadly infection. Again, something everyone knew, as it was used for justification for shutting off all visitors, even for patients who were literally on their death bed.

There is NO excuse.
In a city about 50 miles SW of Chicago, a nursing home discontinued dining room meal service. Instead, it set up tables ( TV trays) in resident rooms and delivered meals to the residents. An employee was charged with the responsibility of setting up the tables. He failed to disclose he was not feeling well as he would have been sent home without pay.

He got sicker, was eventually diagnosed and died. Unfortunately, he had contaminated the tables he set up. 23 residents became infected and died.

Private nursing homes are mostly for profit businesses substantially dependent on Medicaid for income. Their residents or their conditions have often outlived their ability to pay for their long term care. Most employees are relatively low wage earners, not highly skilled healthcare workers. Staffing may or may not be adequate under the best of circumstances. Prior to Covid 19, PPE was not common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 08:58 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In a city about 50 miles SW of Chicago, a nursing home discontinued dining room meal service. Instead, it set up tables ( TV trays) in resident rooms and delivered meals to the residents. An employee was charged with the responsibility of setting up the tables. He failed to disclose he was not feeling well as he would have been sent home without pay.

He got sicker, was eventually diagnosed and died. Unfortunately, he had contaminated the tables he set up. 23 residents became infected and died.

Private nursing homes are mostly for profit businesses substantially dependent on Medicaid for income. Their residents or their conditions have often outlived their ability to pay for their long term care. Most employees are relatively low wage earners, not highly skilled healthcare workers. Staffing may or may not be adequate under the best of circumstances. Prior to Covid 19, PPE was not common.
My wife worked in a nursing home in 2005..........she made $5 an hour,the place was way under staffed. The guy who owned it was a millionaire many times over..........I hope there is a special place reserved for him in hell.......

Old 05-08-2020, 09:07 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The bottom line here is that while staying home in order to limit contact with others is straightforward, your contact isn't really limited unless you live alone.
The point is not that people staying home aren't nevertheless being exposed to the virus by one means or another. The point is that people staying home are becoming sick enough to be hospitalized at a MUCH HIGHER rate than people who are going out and presumably having even more exposure. Why aren't the people with more exposure the ones who are becoming ill at a higher rate? That's what everyone expected. They were shocked to find the opposite to be true.

Since this is the case, we have to ask whether staying home, and in a big city where a lot of people live in apartments that may mean literally inside looking at the four walls--is an effective way of staying healthy. I think it says a lot that people who are going out, moving more, and breathing more fresh air are healthier than people who are hunkering in their house and going to the grocery store once every two weeks swathed in masks and gloves, perhaps not even that. There are people who have literally not been out of their house for six weeks.

Maybe older people need to be encouraged to get out more. 30 minutes in the fresh air and sunshine every day, walking if possible, might just work wonders.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:13 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Trump failed the entire United States by not shutting down flights earlier. I guess he didn't believe this "Hoax" was actually real.
I find this perhaps the most ignorant statement of the thread. Trump shut down flights from China early-enough so that virtually every Democratic leader (including Cuomo IIRC-but could be wrong) attacked him as racist and xenophobic. Cuomo, Clinton and de Blasio were still encouraging people to come to the cities, to go out to movies, to interact, weeks if not months after Trump shut down those flights.

Now, the one thing the OPs link tells us is that the lockdown efforts have failed miserably to contain the spread of the virus. But we already knew that when 25% of NYC has been infected.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Would have been much cheaper and safer to have closed down the subway in NYC and paid $50 an hour to drive free sanitized cabs with plexiglass dividers.
Reportedly, there are 40,000 hospital employees in NYC. Of course not all are front line and some have been furloughed because elective surgeries were put on the back burner.

Not all live in NYC.

Essential workers are not limited to hospitals. Police, Fire fighters, grocers, restaurants doing the curb side / home delivery thing, utilities, Big Box, pharmacies, security, construction, postal service, UPS, Amazon, home healthcare, communications, IT centers, public works, public transportation, etc. are all working and depend on public transportation.

NYC reports ridership has declined by 90%. That still leaves serious hundreds of thousands dependent on public transportation every day.

Last month the Navy’s Comfort ship arrived in NY. Mayor warned people to stay home and watch it on TV and threatened $500 fines. Nonetheless, thousands arrived and the images show most were not wearing masks or social distancing.

Trump claimed he intended to be there to welcome the ship. Secret Service convinced him otherwise.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:16 AM

208 posts, read 81,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The man failed. He is a failure. He directly caused deaths of the elderly by sending covid positive people back into nursing home when hospitals threw them out in preparations for the patients that didn't show up. Not to the half-full Javits Center, not to the almost empty USS Comfort (both of which were set up in NY by Donald Trump). Back into nursing homes. Death houses.
Where's the story about Coomo charging NY state income tax from the medical professionals who came to NY from out of state to save the lives of NY citizens and not giving them waivers instead?
The Fredo brothers are morons and low lives!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gov-cuomo...003811806.html

NY in general is a failure. When people have finally had enough time to clean house and start over.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:18 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Gov. Cuomo: 66 percent of new hospitalizations in New York are people who were at home
That doesn't mean they had never left their homes. What it means is that they weren't working.

You need better news sources:
https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/new-yo...5395-720272299

Quote:
State officials commissioned the survey to try to better understand how the coronavirus is continuing to spread even as the growth in new cases has slowed dramatically in the weeks after the implementation of social distancing measures.

They also clarified that the source of hospital admissions was simply asking patients where they lived before coming to the hospital — and was not an indicator of their compliance with social distancing guidelines or a potential source of infection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Where did these people live? High rise buildings with multiple units on every floor? Other tenants did not walk down their hallways or get into the elevator and press buttons?

These people never got in that elevator to go down to the lobby to go to the building's community mail boxes? Did they have their own washer/driers in their own apartments? If they had a building laundry room, they had to go there to wash their clothes and be around where others had been. Did the building constantly disinfect everything?.
The study didn't ask people if they never left their homes, wore masks, or practiced social distancing; it simply recorded where they were living at the time of hospital admission, if they were employed, and if their employment was essential or non-essential. Read the link I posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
two unreliable sources for the truth

Andrew Cuomo and Yahoo.
You're half right, anyway. Yahoo is a lousy source for news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Most of us have been indoors with little to absolutely NO human contact for two months now.
That's your own fault. I'm only indoors all day when it's raining, and sometimes not even then; otherwise, I'm outside working in the yard, or taking my laptop onto the porch when I'm working from home, or taking walks around my neighborhood or on local trails, or talking with my neighbors from a respectable distance. I'm taking the long way to the office or the stores, with the windows and sunroof open to get as much sunshine and fresh air as possible.

A weakened immune system is the fault of the individual as well. Nutrition, exercise, sleep all contribute to a healthy immune system. If people have chosen to sit in front of their TVs eating cheesy poofs, they will reap what they sow. You know -- all that personal responsibility stuff.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:22 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Eighty-three patients at the Magnolia Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Riverside County were evacuated Wednesday after much of the staff failed to show up for two days. The county's top public health official said it could be a case of patient abandonment, likely related to a coronavirus outbreak at the nursing home.

"Nationwide, all of our health care workers are considered heroes and they rightly are. ... But implicit in that heroism is that people stay at their posts," Riverside County Public Health Officer Dr. Cameron Kaiser said in a news conference.

"I am concerned that this could rise to the level of abandonment no matter how justified their reasoning might be," he said of the absent nursing home workers.

https://laist.com/2020/04/09/magnoli...evacuation.php

My opinion probably won't be popular here, but let's get real. COVID-19 outbreaks present challenges to nursing homes. I just love how can some people be so quick to condemn without looking at the bigger picture here.

As state touts supply, many nursing home workers still can’t get protective gear, what do you expect them to do? It is not like these nursing home workers are medical doctors, just forcing the nursing home to accept covid-19 patients is grossly irresponsible.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-08-2020 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-08-2020, 09:28 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The point is not that people staying home aren't nevertheless being exposed to the virus by one means or another. The point is that people staying home are becoming sick enough to be hospitalized at a MUCH HIGHER rate than people who are going out and presumably having even more exposure. Why aren't the people with more exposure the ones who are becoming ill at a higher rate? That's what everyone expected. They were shocked to find the opposite to be true.

Since this is the case, we have to ask whether staying home, and in a big city where a lot of people live in apartments that may mean literally inside looking at the four walls--is an effective way of staying healthy. I think it says a lot that people who are going out, moving more, and breathing more fresh air are healthier than people who are hunkering in their house and going to the grocery store once every two weeks swathed in masks and gloves, perhaps not even that. There are people who have literally not been out of their house for six weeks.

Maybe older people need to be encouraged to get out more. 30 minutes in the fresh air and sunshine every day, walking if possible, might just work wonders.
Many do. Exercise is not the issue here. I think the better approach is to protect the vulnerable group. Giving them that option to stay home alone. (meaning: have food and medication delivered to them, etc) Many elderly cannot limit their contact.

The example I gave in my previous post: My uncle's one patient still babysit her daughter's two kids, even though she lives alone. Her close contact all of sudden jumps to at least 4 (her daughter, daughter's husband, two granddaughters) Two of her close contacts tested positive but they show no symptoms. The elderly patient is now hospitalized, but she will recover and will go home soon, this is a good news.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:45 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
"becoming sick enough to be hospitalized at a MUCH HIGHER rate than people who are going out"

Totally false - horrible conclusion from the data you were given.

The only thing that would matter - at all - is if they were being hospitalized at a much higher rate NOW than they were a month ago.

There were always a chunk of "at home" getting infected - 50 or 100 a day or whatever - if it's still the same now, as then, it just means lots of the "running free" folk are over it, and lots of the "stay at home" folk at not. Percentage-wise it's an increase. Performance-wise - it's actually GREAT NEWS for the "stay at home" supporters. It means the "out and about-ers" all got sick already. And the "at homers" did not. Exactly as planned.

To get infected at a "MUCH HIGHER rate" implies that somehow, two people otherwise equal - one home, one out - the one at home will get infected more often. Totally untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies