Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 09:53 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times

Advertisements

I don't think this is a smart idea. Let's devalue the dollar by printing more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 09:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
When did Republicans do it for an unspecified time? I don’t remember that at all.
I remember. In 2001 and 2003 when they thought invading Iraq and Afghanistan was a good idea. And of course the time was unspecified. Almost 20 years later, and the trillion dollar train just keeps chugging along.

Not to mention the bailouts back in 2008 for the banks.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:56 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
It's been happening here since beginning of April. $2000 payments every 4 weeks for 16 weeks for people who are ineligible for employment insurance and for those who are it's being funneled through that program, then employment insurance kicks in after 16 weeks if things get really bad.

I think it's a good idea, politically it's a no brainer for the federal Liberals. I'm on it right now...I'd rather be working however...
May work in Canada with a population the size of one U.S. state. I don’t see how we could do this indefinitely here while our workers aren’t producing anything and no revenue is coming to the federal government. At least yours says 16 weeks, not some somewhere in the distant future once politicians deem it safe to come outside like this proposal.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Is that what bankruptcy court did when Donald begged for relief of his business debts? Multiple times! Bankruptcy is one of his favorite business tools. He stiffs the banks and his contractors, and they write it off for taxpayers to pay. Why should the wealthy get special treatment?
Sure, because this is totally the same thing.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Our grandkids and theirs
No, they’ll be living in a third world sh*thole country and won’t be able to afford it.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:07 PM

26 posts, read 8,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, they’ll be living in a third world sh*thole country and won’t be able to afford it.
Oh stop it with that nonsense. We will survive as well as you.

Two scoops of loving ice cream.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
There's 2 choices:

#1 - Keep stuff closed and deprive people of working and making their own little bit of money.
Their bills won't stop coming and they won't stop requiring food to eat.
* They may get hungry and start robbing people at gunpoint, crime will be outta. control. Thus you gotta pay people to stay outta work or face a crime wave.

Or:

#2 - Open everything up and have people going back to work and making their little bit of money and face the criticism when thousands more get infected with this virus.

Make a choice!

You cannot have it both ways.

I'm conservative but really both parties are crackpots now. So whoever gives me the most money for the longest period of time for doing nothing...AND not banning or confiscating my guns.. gets my vote.
People are getting sick in lockdown. They’re not going to eliminate this virus. We need to take our chances and work on herd immunity. Someone pointed out that some shut down pool halls and theaters and saloons in 1918 and still they got hit bad in the third wave. And after the third wave I suppose that flu virus just got a whole lot less deadly because enough people built up immunity. We can’t destroy our economy for this. I don’t want to live in the After America.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No, there is a time limit on it. It's not in perpetuity
Sounded pretty vague on the time limit. If they did 16 weeks for those without unemployment insurance like Canada did according to another poster here that may be okay, but it’s worded in a way that leaves it up to the government and scientists to say when we can reopen. If they put a firm end date then maybe, but I still think it would destroy this country’s economy.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I remember. In 2001 and 2003 when they thought invading Iraq and Afghanistan was a good idea. And of course the time was unspecified. Almost 20 years later, and the trillion dollar train just keeps chugging along.

Not to mention the bailouts back in 2008 for the banks.
You’re right. Those wars are stupid, and still on the credit card. Not sure we can add this much to the card without destroying us for good. But by all means, try to convince the people in either party that these wars need to end. It seems that they never will. I’m all for ending them.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:37 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
This is just wnother bad ideain the string of badideasthe federal governmen has come up with to address the pandemic. Our resources should be spent in helping the folks that are actually out of work due to COVId 19, the small businesses that have been shuttered due to the pandemic, and in getting the food farmers are having to plow under to families impaced by the pandemic. Instead. goverment seems wedded to the idea of getting money to those who don't neeed it. This is just another example. $2,000 a month to families making $100K a year? Come on, there are families trying to figure our how to feed their kids since they lost their jobs. There seems to be no effort in checking whether these families have been impacted at all. Resources should be directed to those who are IMPACTED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies