Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 08:50 PM

33,981 posts, read 17,011,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You mistake me. It's not that I don't have empathy for them. I do. Boatloads full. But this is a matter of idealism vs realism.

Idealism: "Save everybody and try to save the economy too. We can do it."

Realism: no we can't. If we do one we will sacrifice the other. If people are going to be rubbing shoulder in an open vibrant economy, guaranteed they are going to get exposed and many will develop COVID and die. If people stay home they won't get exposed and the virus will stop spreading, guaranteed but the economy, already in a tailspin, will crash and burn. Those are the only two realities. That's what that Pollyanna over one pg. 1 refuses to acknowledges. Well, she's living in a dreamworld. Let her dream.

I'd like to see 80% of our purchasing being done online. I'm already doing the majority of my buying on the Internet. Works just fine and I'm not exposing myself and others and clogging up the hospitals. But I realize services cannot operate like that so that part of the economy has to be opened. And people will get sick. And die. And I feel horrible as hell about it. But the alternative is for the country to collapse and we ALL go down. The hard truth: better 2 million than 350 million. Sacrifices will have to be made. If I am one of them, that's my fate. That's the reality of the situation we find ourselves in.
Amen. Great cerebral post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 08:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,653,408 times
Quote:
It is every man for himself right now. Don't rely on government to do squat for you in the long term. If you're lucky you'll get the $1200 check--if you're lucky. If you're unemployed, don't count on getting through the unemployment phone number. If anything, as the number of unemployed goes up it will get impossible. Those with no savings are toast. They will have to turn to crime to live. Eventually the National Guard will have to be deployed to maintain order. If government protective services like military, national guard and police start breaking down God help us, but He won't. The only thing between you and death will be your .44 Magnum.
Was that intended to be satirical?

Right-wingers really don't care if people die, apparently. They see it as social cleansing.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:38 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,817,757 times
Quote:
Call me a pessimist. I call myself a realist who sees things as they really are, and we have to face reality: Coronavirus has got America by the throat and it's not going to let go. By a margin of 60% to 30%, Americans want to see America continue to be shut down while we wait for Corona to go away. But it's not going to go away. It doesn't behave like the ordinary flu. The latest alarming effect of this virus is that it brings on a Kawasaki Disease-like condition in children that can be fatal. This along with its ability to hide in asymptomatic people as they infect hundreds of others around them and the possible irreparable damage it does to the cardiovascular system of its victims, among other devastating anomalies.

Unemployment hit 14.7% U-3 level in April. At U-6 it was about 22.8%. Projections are for these numbers to get worse in May. June is anybody's guess but it doesn't look good. The moment we open up businesses in an attempt to kick-start the economy the number of Corona cases will spike and we'll have to shut everything down again. In an attempt to save every last life in America we are bankrupting the country.

Some economists are acknowledging it's not possible to protect every last person. A large number of people will have to die so that the economy can survive. A large number of people will have to be turned away at the hospitals or our healthcare system will collapse. On our current trajectory I personally see us in a state of collapse by the start of next year. Cuomo's stance that every life must be protected at the cost of jobs is insane. So is Newsome's. This is the reality we face in America going into 2021.

If Trump is reelected his inability feel compassion or empathy for anyone but himself can actually work in America's favor. He has the strength of will to allow people to die to save the economy and this is exactly what we need in a President right now to rescue us from the bleeding-heart liberals who are decimating our country.

"Life will never be the same after the pandemic passes, says public health journalist"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/us/li...aurie-garrett/
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:
There is no greater man fit for the current job in office than President Donald Trump.
Under constant scrutiny, constant attack, continuous rebukes........he still cares more for our country
than he does for himself. He can call it quits anytime but he does not. He is not a quitter. He is a man focused
on winning anything he puts his mind to and he will see our country back to Greatness once again. He is truly
an American Patriot. God Bless America. God Bless President Donald Trump....2020..............

Old 05-10-2020, 07:42 AM

35,648 posts, read 21,018,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Worst case scenario is what will happen if we keep the Right Wingers in office. Whens the last time we had the right wing in office that WASN'T a "worse case scenario?" Yea I dont know either.

Reagan destroyed the middle class busted up unions.

Bush- invades countries, puts us trillions in debt and gets off without a slap on the wrist.

Chump? Dont even get us started on this clown
This is so true- many of the jobs would NOT be overseas or illegals working them today--- follow the money

Old 05-10-2020, 07:48 AM

35,648 posts, read 21,018,276 times
Quote:
I agree. Open the economy. Let people go back to work. Trump is doing the right thing trying to get business open. Get the revenue flowing again. The infection and death rates will skyrocket, of course. The solution? Hospitals will have to fill to capacity and turn everybody else away to be looked after by their family. Can anybody see any other way around that fact? Are we going to jamb the halls of every hospital in America with thousands of gurneys and cots and work the healthcare workers into an early grave running around trying to treat all these thousands of patients and collapse the entire system? That's what some silly lady on this thread wants to do: open the hospitals to every derelict on skid row. Why? Because according to her "life is sacred". What a crock. Absolute idiocy.
HARD -Safety measures which PEOPLE REFUSE TO DO- as wearing masks getting tested and keeping the f,,, distance. IT has been proven it works-- if we stay in the gutter with more infections, it is ON us-- we were told- and stop blaming the left, in my observation the right is the folks that don't have common sense.
I dare you to take a poll... Dem- Indep.- Rep mask? no mask?

We are making it harder to return to work- for one minute get into your governors shoes---who is screaming the loudest ?

Old 05-10-2020, 08:31 AM

4,230 posts, read 2,451,556 times
The economy will not be "saved" even if Covid disappears right this instant and all the sick are miraculously cured. The bubble has already been ripped open, and this time the "magicians" at the central banks won't be able to patch up and inflate a bigger bubble.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:57 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,896,360 times
I'm in total agreement with "Keep American Covered" while this pandemic rages. But again I want to stress: I don't know how it's possible to keep an economy functioning when everybody is sitting at home. Can't be done. People have to get outside for the economy to work. But the minute they step outside a percentage of them are not going to wear masks, infections will occur, people will get sent to a hospital that is set up to only handle 100 IC patients. These hospitals will get 1000 coming in. Bleeding hearts wants to treat every single person that that gets carried in--to hell with the doctors and nurses who are dropping dead trying to care for that many people. That is insanity. People are going to get infected because of their bad behavior, but this country needs people out and about for the economy to work. That's the Catch-22 of this disease.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:16 PM

4,014 posts, read 1,868,654 times
No. The density and size allowed it to spread to NUMBERS that are not available anywhere else - but the spread to SOME numbers was available everywhere.

New York "closed down" with more than 100 deaths - Ohio did it with 2. THAT is the difference. Ohio would have been out of ammo much sooner than NY, obviously - but Ohio's result - right now, about 1300 dead - would have happened in one week, like New York - instead of spread over six weeks, like most of the other states.

New York was unfortunate - being kinda the "start" of the worst of it - in that a whole lot of people were already infected when they shut down. No other place had THAT MANY infected on the day of the shut down - and so none of them ever approached NY on deaths or infections in that amount of time. In the long run - yes - no change.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:24 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,582,529 times
Virus will spread and here to stay. Those low risk healthy&strong individuals must remember that that state is temporary, they will get sick and older. I think mother nature just found the way to cut average human life span. As unpleasant as it is there were times when average life span was hovering around 30 y.o. so it is not terminal for our specie. We'll adjust to the thought of living less than before 2020.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:44 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,613,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Was that intended to be satirical?

Right-wingers really don't care if people die, apparently. They see it as social cleansing.
Hey as long as it's not a "unborn fetus" then Hundreds of thousands of living people dying from this Pandemic to "save the Economy" is all right by them.
I honestly don't know how Conservatives / right wingers do their mental gymnastic Pretzel logic to fit their deluded world views.
The ultimate wet-dream of all conservatives: old people that die early, hungry, and sick.
Quite a sick bunch if you ask me!

Last edited by Bobdreamz; 05-10-2020 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies