Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 08:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,597,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...onavirus-study

If this pans out and becomes reality, then things definitely WILL NOT be going back to normal.
America f**ked up BIG TIME.

The lockdowns could possibly lead to 7x more people dying than the actual virus.
Sweden had the right idea all along.

The TV talking heads and self-proclaimed experts never took into account the bigger picture, they were simply just focused on stopping the virus. You can't stop a virus. Lockdowns are only delaying the inevitable, it's not going away. Sweden was right.
Great news! This should bring down Trump, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 08:59 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
I find it highly ironic that the same crowd that was always against big corporations has now put restrictions in place to ensure that only these companies will survive. Here in Michigan, and most other places from what I have read, most small businesses must either remain closed or operate in a severely limited manner (curbside pickup). Meanwhile, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Costco, etc. are humming along business as usual. I still have not gotten an answer how visiting a crowded Costco is "safe" but visiting a local retailer, which would have severely less foot traffic, is dangerous.
It's what they sell, not the size of the business. Those selling non-essential items should start selling groceries along with their non-essential goods. Smart businessmen adapt.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:59 AM

8,961 posts, read 2,568,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Hypothetical:
If there had been no official shutdown and many more people ended up infected, how many businesses would have survived?
Considerably more would have survived if they weren't forced to shut down. The forced shut down is the entire cause of business failure for the vast majority of them.

Also, it's not a deadly enough virus to cause the kind of disruption you are thinking would have happened.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Considerably more would have survived if they weren't forced to shut down. The forced shut down is the entire cause of business failure for the vast majority of them.

Also, it's not a deadly enough virus to cause the kind of disruption you are thinking would have happened.
Pure opinion.

It was keeping people at home before the shutdowns. The shutdowns would not be occurring if most Americans found them too restrictive.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:04 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,149,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
they were simply just focused on stopping the virus. You can't stop a virus. Lockdowns are only delaying the inevitable, it's not going away.
“Delaying the inevitable†was the whole point of the lockdowns. It wasn’t about “stopping†the virus. If people on TV were saying that, they were wrong or lying. It’s always been about keeping the hospitals functional and trying to ensure that anyone who needed hospitalization to survive could get it.

At least, that’s how I’ve understood it. I don’t watch TV much anymore, so I can’t comment on what the talking heads were lying abo.. er I mean saying about it.

Everyone should stop paying attention to the TV idiots and the “official†idiots. They’d have been a lot better informed about this thing from the start. Speaking from experience here.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:10 AM

8,961 posts, read 2,568,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Pure opinion
We're both sharing opinion. My opinion is based on the fact that the lockdown is the cause of the majority of business failures. Your opinion seems to be based on fear of the big bad rona.

The shutdowns CAUSED the fear to grow exponentially. If life just kept on going, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:19 AM

610 posts, read 264,941 times
Quote:
It's what they sell, not the size of the business. Those selling non-essential items should start selling groceries along with their non-essential goods. Smart businessmen adapt.
The local bookstore should not have to install a grocery aisle to justify it's existence. 90% of what's in Wal-Mart is "non-essential" crap yet they get a pass just because they sell eggs? Please.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
We're both sharing opinion. My opinion is based on the fact that the lockdown is the cause of the majority of business failures. Your opinion seems to be based on fear of the big bad rona.

The shutdowns CAUSED the fear to grow exponentially. If life just kept on going, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad.
Nope, the fear was already there. Statistics showed restaurant business slowing dramatically before lockdowns. Most restaurants can't lose 25% of their business and remain viable. High death tolls will create rational fear.

Went to get a haircut yesterday. two of the four girls who usually work there were cutting hair. The others chose to stay home.

A pandemic hurts businesses regardless of what government does.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
The local bookstore should not have to install a grocery aisle to justify it's existence. 90% of what's in Wal-Mart is "non-essential" crap yet they get a pass just because they sell eggs? Please.
If I owned a bookstore I would go to a grocery store and buy a case of canned beans and resell them along with books. I'd do the same thing Wal-Mart gets away with.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:38 AM

24,035 posts, read 15,140,782 times
Quote:
Just like the florist who delivered the Mother's Day flowers to my house started carrying food, chocolates. Creative people can survive this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies