Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 12:01 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times

Advertisements

Some LLC that has to file bankruptcy and start anew is not the end of the world. Life will go on. That's the whole purpose of bankruptcy... so a person doesn't have to be a slave to the bankers for their whole life. (They still are a slave to the bankers though.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 12:03 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Effective population reduction.
That's sick.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:33 PM

610 posts, read 263,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Your right. Michigan has such a severe lockdown it will lose most of its small business. It may even lose some of its big business. (Big three). I have family who lives under the tyranny in Michigan. I am worried about their safety and well being. I would encourage anyone in Michigan who has the ability to leave. Too much damage has been done there, that was a fragile state to begin with and now I fear it is truly doomed. I feel bad for everyone stuck there. Good luck and hang in there, I hope I’m wrong about your state.
I've contemplated leaving for a warmer weather state many times but the usual roadblocks (leaving family/friends, finding a job, selling my house, etc.) always end up holding me back. Regarding Whitmer, I actually voted for her and had no issues with her pre-COVID. Additionally, while her measures have been very extreme Michigan has had a dramatic improvement in our numbers the past few weeks. We were averaging around 1,500 cases daily in early April and we are now down to 380-450 per day, most of which have been tied back to nursing homes and prisons.

Her reopening plan has actually been a lot more fast-paced than I was expecting. I was shocked that she is letting the Big 3 go back on May 18th. We are actually meeting the White House's requirements of 14-day decline in cases so I cannot see any justification for keeping us shut down after her current order expires on May 28th.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:38 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
There will be new people to take them over.

I’m actually looking for a small business to buy or invest in right now as the prices are dropping.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:40 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
No, not because of coronavirus, because of the government's response to coronavirus.
Absolutely!

Old 05-10-2020, 03:45 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
A lot of people rushed the stores in panic buys because of the talks of shutting everything down. People were even spreading the word that Kroger and Walmart were closing. The lockdowns should not have happened. Instead, encouraging people to wash their hands and such would have been fine.
Wrong. The lockdowns were also needed to stop the spread of the virus to where hospitals and their ICUs would not be overrun with patients.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:29 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
There will be new people to take them over.

I’m actually looking for a small business to buy or invest in right now as the prices are dropping.
So what happens when the next Virus comes around and they decide your business is expendable? Just suck it up, right? You are pathetic.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:07 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
If it were as deadly as the flu (and not more, which it is) and it was as "seasonal" as the flu (and not all year round, which, so far, it is), and it were as "catchy" as the flu (and signs are, it's a bit more "catchy" than the flu) - then it would STILL be more dangerous than the flu for a simple reason:

You don't know when you have it. Very - very - few people have the flu - and infect someone - and at no point no they were sick. For COVID - not true.

Very - very - flu people are "contagious" more than a day or three - without knowing - before they themselves realize they are sick - and skip work. Or at least - they avoid old people, like I do.

For COVID - no deal - people just wander happily about, spreading virus everywhere - no end in sight - so the vulnerable (however you define it) have no chance at all - except to stay at home. And as many folks are figuring out right now - when 60 million old people sit at home (as many of you open-uppers requested) - then there is a whole lot of businesses that aren't needed. Ya can't win folks. I usually work with only data - I have been avoiding the policies when possible - but I'm going throw an unpopular view out there.

I think it's possible that no matter what we did or do in the near future - our economy will be trashed. NOTHING would have changed that, short of a vaccine in the very early days. If you just let it go all New York nation wide - once the deaths started REALLY piling up - lots and lots of folks (these same 60 million) would have self isolated without gov't assistance - and the economy would be eff'ed. If you doubt that - just wait a month or two - because we're gonna try it right now.

it's possible there was and is NO solution. Lots of people hate that. Think the USA is magical or something. Invincible. Ever think ya could be wrong there? It's not just us - we have to play nice with economies around the world - and all of them are tanking simultaneously. All of them have old people that are NEVER going back to work. All of them have policies to forbid working if you're symptomatic. And all of them have several million carriers at large.

It's possible there was and is NO solution, except keep a grip on your own mental health - and accept that things change, and sometimes, you can't fix it.
How is it more deadly than the flu? Most people who get it never know they have it. In order to know how deadly it is, you'd have to know everyone who has it for more accurate numbers.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:10 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,407,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So what happens when the next Virus comes around and they decide your business is expendable? Just suck it up, right? You are pathetic.
If all you have is ad hominem, then you’ve lost the discussion.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:12 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
Wrong. The lockdowns were also needed to stop the spread of the virus to where hospitals and their ICUs would not be overrun with patients.
All it did was deprive people of the means to provide for themselves. If someone was going to get sick then the person can get sick at the grocery store too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies