Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 12:32 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,383 times

Advertisements

You know the saying .... Don't let the door hit ya ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 12:35 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
The people I see who would actually carry out their promise are one or more of the following,
a.) Wealthy and wouldn't have to work if they chose not to; or
b.) Don't have many responsibilities or close ties to other people and don't have much to lose if they do go; or
c.) Do have responsibilities or close ties to other people but choose to leave these responsibilities behind or let other people left behind figure this out; or
d.) Are much, much more personally vested in politics and internalize the BS going on in politics right now; or
e.) Far more adventurous, restless, and full of wanderlust than the vast majority of people

Old 05-11-2020, 12:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Time magazine shows that 6990 Americans left the US to become permanent residents in Canada after George W Bush was reelected in 2004. That number jumped to 8,394 in 2005, the year Bush was sworn in for his second term. The number skyrocketed to 10,190 in 2008 before falling drastically to 8,995 the next year when President Barack Obama began his term.

https://time.com/4245100/move-to-can...ns-trump-bush/

It's no secret that Americans leave America when they don't like the President in office. And I imagine no President in our history has been more revered or reviled than Trump. Is anyone here on CD who is in the reviled camp planning to apply for permanent residency in Canada or elsewhere if Trump is reelected, which I am almost sure he will be?
People leave the US for many reasons, including a job, returning to their homeland, cheaper living ( Mexico/ Central America, some Asian countries), lower taxes , albeit high costs of living ( Bermuda, Cayman etc) comparable medical care at less cost, aging parents etc.

I seriously doubt most of these departures were prompted by a reaction to a presidential election.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:14 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Obviously all those morons who promised in 2016 to do so isn't going to do promise again. Even they know it's looking like President Trump will own another election night victory this coming November 2020. If any of these famous weak waters had even the slightest glimmer of hope, they would have been spouting of on that bs leave the US crap.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:30 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
I am retiring in Portugal in February regardless of who wins. But I will certainly be throwing one hell of a party if Trump loses before I leave. But I am realistic about the priorities of voters and fully expect Trump to win a second term. Trump represents everything that is wrong with America so I can’t wait for retirement

Old 05-11-2020, 01:44 PM

446 posts, read 167,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Since the vast majority of people aren't going to do anything so drastically stupid, I'd expect that those oscillations over the years are due to other factors like economics and not the presidential elections.

Yeah wheres the evidence that the migration had anything to do with a federal election. People move back and forth, get married to Canadian spouses, get jobs in Canada, etc.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:55 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Come on over to Spain, life is pretty good here during non-covid times!
I like Spain, it's chill, but prefer Barcelona to Madrid because of the beaches.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:13 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Time magazine shows that 6990 Americans left the US to become permanent residents in Canada after George W Bush was reelected in 2004. That number jumped to 8,394 in 2005, the year Bush was sworn in for his second term. The number skyrocketed to 10,190 in 2008 before falling drastically to 8,995 the next year when President Barack Obama began his term.

https://time.com/4245100/move-to-can...ns-trump-bush/

It's no secret that Americans leave America when they don't like the President in office. And I imagine no President in our history has been more revered or reviled than Trump. Is anyone here on CD who is in the reviled camp planning to apply for permanent residency in Canada or elsewhere if Trump is reelected, which I am almost sure he will be?
Is there evidence that Americans left US for Canada based on a political election instead of other reasons like family unification, jobs, investing, etc

Plus, Canada immigration doesn't have visa classification for "i don't like the current US President so i want to move to Canada"

Old 05-12-2020, 03:52 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
If you come to the UK we'll happily swap you for John Cleese.
He threatened to leave over Brexit but we just can't get rid of him.
1992 by the way.
The last time he was funny.
A bit like Saturday Night Live.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:10 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Is there evidence that Americans left US for Canada based on a political election instead of other reasons like family unification, jobs, investing, etc.
This. Out of all the Americans I've known who have immigrated to Canada, not a one has moved because of who happens to be the US President at any given time. One (my ex-wife, originally from Colorado) came for a job, liked it here, and pursued citizenship once she was able to; another family friend (originally from Connecticut) came as a child, and saw no reason to move back once she came of age; and yet another (originally from New York), came to take a professorship at a Canadian university. He's got tenure, and sees no reason to return to the USA as long as he has that.

Anecdotes are never data, of course, but all the Americans I've known who have taken up residence in Canada (and they are more than just the above examples), have not done so for political reasons. They have been for professional or personal reasons. I'm looking askance at the numbers presented, because they do not indicate how many Americans immigrated north for political reasons, as opposed to how many immigrated north for personal or professional reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies