Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 01:24 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Are you less likely you get COVID in a grocery store than a sporting goods store? Is that what you mean?

That *somehow* the virus doesn't go to grocery stores but would go to a sporting goods store?

Does it only come out at night? Is that why there were curfews?
No. A poster was talking about shutting down the Walmarts. I was saying you can't because they sell groceries. That was the only point I was making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 02:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
They have a higher chance of dying in a car accident.
We'll wait while you voluntarily stick a tube down your throat and place yourself in a medically-induced coma for 2-weeks.

Might I suggest Zoom, so we can all watch you?

I'm sure your employer won't mind you missing 2-weeks of work, and, of course, you're wealthy enough that the loss of 2-weeks wages won't economically impact you and you can afford the medical bill.

It's not the number of people who died or will die, it's the number of people hospitalized and the number of people off work for 2-3 weeks that's the real issue.

The fact that you don't understand the real issue doesn't say much about you.

And, for the record, your chance of contracting COVID-19 is higher than your chance of dying in a car accident.

Roll 5d20 for damage: 1-4, you die; 5-20 you're hospitalized for 2-6 weeks; 21-45 you're off work for 1-3 weeks; and 46-100 you give the disease to your spouse, children, family, friends, co-workers and people you don't even know, so they can all roll 5d20.

Yes, I'm the Dungeon Master.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:24 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

But, do you wear high heels?

Old 05-14-2020, 03:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that if COVID-19 could be easily caught just by being within six feet of an infected person not wearing a mask, there would have been over a million cases in the U.S. by March 15th, at the latest.

Think of six degrees of separation, the fact that there are about 330 million people in the U.S., the accepted fact (?) that COVID-19 has a five-day incubation period and that 20% of those infected will show symptoms, and do the math. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation From the link: "Six degrees of separation is the idea that all people are six, or fewer, social connections away from each other. Also known as the 6 Handshakes rule. As a result, a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps." [END QUOTE] But it doesn't even have to go that far -- think of someone who unknowingly has the virus, and think of how many people the average person has a "face to face" conversation with in a single day, and then think of how many each of these people are in contact with, and so on and so on.

The fact is that I live in Denver suburb, and yet I have (fortunately) not personally known anyone (old or young) who has not been diagnosed with having COVID-19. Of course, that is just MY experience and I might very well be unusual in that, but it does make me think that stay-at-home orders in places that are not "hot spots" is a very great overreaction. My belief is that if the risk of contagion was THAT bad, grocery stores would now be facing a huge shortage of cashiers being out of work due to being sick.

And, yes, before anyone lambasts me, I do know that many people have become very sick from this and thousands HAVE died from it -- but I think that government leaders 'preaching' that a very large percentage of us are going to end up in ICU's unless extreme measures continue (indefinitely) seems to me to be nothing short of an attempt to dominate, manipulate and control most of the population.

P.S. However, I do think that people in "high risk" groups or those who live in "hot spots" should continue to take precautions, but I just don't think that most of us should live the rest of our lives in fear, and that it is time for us to slowly and cautiously start getting back to life as in was six months ago.
I live in Alabama, and even some of the most backwoods rural counties here have confirmed cases. There’s actually only a few counties in this state that doesn’t have it.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:14 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Should we feel bad if any of those people die from coronavirus?
Not at all. They knowingly and wantonly elected to disregard their own personal safety and decided to roll the dice except in the case of fatalities they lost and ultimately chose poorly.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:21 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Quote:
We'll wait while you voluntarily stick a tube down your throat and place yourself in a medically-induced coma for 2-weeks.

I'm sure your employer won't mind you missing 2-weeks of work, and, of course, you're wealthy enough that the loss of 2-weeks wages won't economically impact you and you can afford the medical bill.

It's not the number of people who died or will die, it's the number of people hospitalized and the number of people off work for 2-3 weeks that's the real issue.

And, for the record, your chance of contracting COVID-19 is higher than your chance of dying in a car accident.

Roll 5d20 for damage: 1-4, you die; 5-20 you're hospitalized for 2-6 weeks; 21-45 you're off work for 1-3 weeks; and 46-100 you give the disease to your spouse, children, family, friends, co-workers and people you don't even know, so they can all roll 5d20.

Plus the extra hospital resources, medications, doctors, nurses, and other medical personnel, refrigerator truck space involved per ventilator patient that could otherwise have been avoided had proper bio-hazard contagion procedures been followed.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:24 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:

Cute story but the facts don't bear it out. If you are infected, as over 25% of NYC residents have been, odds are that unless you're elderly and/or have underlying conditions, you'll be asymptomatic. AKA, you'll never even know you have it. Many others will have mild cases. Those under 65 with no other underlying conditions make up 1.2% of all covid deaths.

As badly as NYC got hit, they will be the first area to really get past it. In spite of more people ignoring the lockdown and going out (everyone has seen the pictures of the crowded parks)-new cases and deaths are going down, and rapidly. NYC is seeing the effect of herd immunity.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:28 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I live in Alabama, and even some of the most backwoods rural counties here have confirmed cases. There’s actually only a few counties in this state that doesn’t have it.
I live in a rural county in North Idaho. Our county has had 4 confirmed cases, with 0 deaths. Lots of people out and about at grocery stores, Walmart, farm supply stores, hardware stores/Home Depot. If the virus were nearly as dangerous as made out, we'd all be dead. I suspect the spread is far wider than we've been told-the results of antibody testing have not been released.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:54 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times
The covidiot numbers will grow and Darwin always wins in the end.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:22 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times
but really though, MOST of those customers will be fine, even if they cough on one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies