Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 04:13 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Your premise is totally wrong. It is already ILLEGAL to transfer a firearm to a person that is prohibited from owning one. If caught you will do serious FEDERAL jail time. The vast majority of criminals obtain guns ILLEGALLY so again, your premise is totally wrong.

I guess you want it made MORE ILLEGAL?
Go back and re read paragraph three of my reply to your "wrong" post. Think about it, just a little.

I pretty much said what you did here. Remember.......comprehension is key.

CN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 04:24 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I quit watching them when they had an "expert" who claimed that an AR 15 223 round was more powerful than a 30.06, 30-30 or any other rifle.
This "expert' isn't the same guy from the New York Times who claimed the recoil from an AR is "massive"?

Old 05-11-2020, 04:34 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
This "expert' isn't the same guy from the New York Times who claimed the recoil from an AR is "massive"?
They also had an "ER nurse" who claimed that a 223 exploded on impact with the body.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Semantics.

If anyone knows the definition of semantics.

One can dance around the issue. The fact is - is that this acts as a machine gun.

And machine guns are banned. Yep, unless one gets the special special license.

If it walks like a duck, etc.
It’s not a machine gun. Period. Your feels don’t change the facts.

Given this as an example, however, I did buy several binary triggers lest some idiot make a similar, unsubstantiated ruling on them. Unlike the gimmicky bump stocks, these do have purpose and value to a shooter.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:38 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Thank you. The BS about how firearms are sold needed called. The LOWER reciever if it is finished has a serial number and requires a BC to purchase. It is considered a firearm by itself.

80 % lowers are different. But, if you buy one and finish it you MUST keep it. If you sell it you are required to put some sort of number or ID on it . That goes back to you. *SNIP*
This last part is not true. I just build my own 80% lower AR-15 (I'm legal to buy - I have a Georgia Carry license, I just wanted to do it because it's fun, and the parts were actually in-stock) so I've done my homework on such. The regulation about the serial number only applies to licensed dealers. I built my AR-15 strictly for me, I currently have no intention to part with it. But if sometime in the future, I'm at the range with a buddy and he offers to buy it, I could sell it to him without worrying about a serial number. Now, if I bought the parts with the intent to finish and sell it, that's a different story, but then I'd be in the "business" of firearms and probably need a license. I am not a lawyer and the usual disclaimers apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's that way in purpose.

It's what let's a father give his kid a .22 for Christmas, a husband buy his his wife a handgun for personal protection and let's you inherit your Grandfather's guns he brought back from WWII without having to go through a background check.

Do you really think that a parent should have to run a background check on his kid?

But it's still Illegal to sell or transfer a gun to a prohibited person in a private transfer.

That's why many seller/traders won't deal with anyone who doesn't have a CCW permit......

The liability just isn't worth it.
Technically it's only illegal to knowingly transfer to a prohibited person. If the sole interaction during a transaction is as follows:
Seller: You legal to buy a gun?

Buyer: Yep
But it turns out the buyer lied, ATF will still probably take a close look at you, and you may need a lawyer, but in theory you'd be clear (at least in freedom-loving states like Georgia).

Old 05-11-2020, 04:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
The focus of gun control is not any particular type of gun -it is a particular type of person that billions of dollars have been spent to disarm -and that person is homeowners and vets- little or no attempt To disarm criminals -except for stop and frisk by nypd and that was met with massive opposition
American government is afraid of its citizens just like red China

Old 05-11-2020, 06:14 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It's that way in purpose.

It's what let's a father give his kid a .22 for Christmas, a husband buy his his wife a handgun for personal protection and let's you inherit your Grandfather's guns he brought back from WWII without having to go through a background check.

Do you really think that a parent should have to run a background check on his kid?

But it's still Illegal to sell or transfer a gun to a prohibited person in a private transfer.

That's why many seller/traders won't deal with anyone who doesn't have a CCW permit......

The liability just isn't worth it.
I wont sell a gun to someone I dont know. NV now has a private sale BC requirement that our blathering CA transplant governor says he intends to enforce with zeal.

Uh huh. I'm supposed to do a BC on anyone I even lend a gun to. Well, since all my guns have been in my posession for a very long time now I'd like to see him enforce that requirement.

Who's to say I didnt sell, give or otherwise transfer any of my guns to whomever decades ago. Sherriff's here in largely rural N NV are telling our idiot governor theres no way they can enforce that stupid law.

Oh, I believe next there will be a bill introduced requiring we firearms owners to register our weapons with the state. So they have serial numbers and a way to thereby track things.

I wont comply. I wont comply with the BC requirement either. My son and my lady are the only ones who will have any of my guns in their posession. If something happens to me all but one go to my son and my lady keeps the one that I bought for her.

Without any interference from the state they will go to their respective new owners. Governor Stevito Sisolini can mind his own business and not be minding mine.
L

Old 05-11-2020, 06:52 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't usually watch the TV "news" show 60 Minutes but last night they pulled me in when they talked about "Ghost Guns". No they are not guns for ghosts and not as I joked to my wife what Patrick Swayze would have used if he found Demi Moore making a bowl at her potters wheel with a living breathing man... but seriously, Ghost guns.

A ghost gun is a collection of parts that are sold to a consumer with no back ground check because it is considered by the ATF as pieces, including the receiver that has no serial number. Using basic tools the parts can be assembled into a working firearm.

The host highlighted the dangers of these unregistered guns being sold to unlicensed people that should not have them due to prior felony convictions or mental health instability.

They even went as far to say that the only people that are buying these kits are gangs and criminals and this is where the controversy comes in.

With our Democrat politicians calling for more restrictions of certain firearms and out right bans on others I think that there are many law abiding citizens that are buying these because they are nervous that if the gun grabbers are elected that they will do as they pledge and guns will be seized. This is where the so called "ghost gun" comes into play. If the gun was never recorded, never registered then technically it cannot be traced.

Here is the link to the news clip from 60 Minutes.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes...eral-gun-laws/

Do you think ghost guns should be allowed to be sold, regulated or outright banned?
You are way too late for the party! These pieces are so plentiful and common, there's no stopping the trend.
Guns shows have aisles piled with them! Cheap too!

I have several that I use for paperweights and desk toys. The government has better things to worry about.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't usually watch the TV "news" show 60 Minutes but last night they pulled me in when they talked about "Ghost Guns". No they are not guns for ghosts and not as I joked to my wife what Patrick Swayze would have used if he found Demi Moore making a bowl at her potters wheel with a living breathing man... but seriously, Ghost guns.

A ghost gun is a collection of parts that are sold to a consumer with no back ground check because it is considered by the ATF as pieces, including the receiver that has no serial number. Using basic tools the parts can be assembled into a working firearm.

The host highlighted the dangers of these unregistered guns being sold to unlicensed people that should not have them due to prior felony convictions or mental health instability.

They even went as far to say that the only people that are buying these kits are gangs and criminals and this is where the controversy comes in.

With our Democrat politicians calling for more restrictions of certain firearms and out right bans on others I think that there are many law abiding citizens that are buying these because they are nervous that if the gun grabbers are elected that they will do as they pledge and guns will be seized. This is where the so called "ghost gun" comes into play. If the gun was never recorded, never registered then technically it cannot be traced.

Here is the link to the news clip from 60 Minutes.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes...eral-gun-laws/

Do you think ghost guns should be allowed to be sold, regulated or outright banned?

They will have to ban metal and alloy for them to keep a firearm out of my hands. 80% lowers are nice to speed up the process, but not needed.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:59 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Next hot stories on 60 minutes.....

Snakes in your toilet!
Is your pharmacist poisoning you?
Are cell phones killing your grandkids?
Social Security, is it being ended next month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies