Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 03:33 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,764,776 times

Advertisements

We hear the endless whining on this forum that California is a "failed state" and that there is a "mass exodus" because it has become such a "terrible" place to live. Obviously, the conservatives on this forum are taking marching orders from people in the media that have repeated the same tropes, namely on platforms such as VOA, Fox News, Breitbart, etc.

What is incredibly ironic is the fact that many of the commentators that are chief critics of California politics voluntarily choose to reside in California.

Let's name some of the conservatives/Republicans that choose to live in California. Key word choose because it's 2020 and you don't need to be in Hollywood or Silicon Valley to be an influencer anymore.

- Ben Shapiro
- Mike Rowe
- Peter Thiel
- Dave Rubin
- Dinesh D'Souza
- Ann Coulter
- Frank Luntz
- Dennis Prager
- Palmer Luckey
- Tomi Lahren
- the list goes on...

The Ayn Rand Institute is located in Irvine of all places, one of the most heavily regulated cities in the most heavily regulated state in the nation.

And if they don't live in California, they more than likely reside in New York City. Rush Limbaugh has famously lectured about the "importance of not forgetting about rural America" from comfort of his NYC penthouse.

It is interesting that the liberal elite more or less reside where their audience is. The same cannot be said for conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 04:54 PM

615 posts, read 1,072,857 times
Don't forget who else was from California- Reagan and Nixon.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:56 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,214,458 times
I am guilty as charged
I came here from another country with 2 suitcases and $150
In 1977
Lots of hard work but now have a good life here- the fact that the people that live here are nuts does not motivate me to move -added to my other language -I speak fluent pc
Lol

Old 05-11-2020, 05:00 PM

29,691 posts, read 24,753,174 times
Believe it or not, but personal politics is not the sole determining factor in people's decision of where to live.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:22 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,790,017 times
California is a beautiful state and 3 generations of my family grew up there. Plenty of liberals live in red states, just not enough to change voting outcomes. OP do you advocate political segregation? Is that what you suggest? People in media live where it's most feasible to do their thing. If you live in California be glad those successful people live there to contribute to your tax rolls.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
California is a beautiful state and 3 generations of my family grew up there. Plenty of liberals live in red states, just not enough to change voting outcomes. OP do you advocate political segregation? Is that what you suggest? People in media live where it's most feasible to do their thing. If you live in California be glad those successful people live there to contribute to your tax rolls.
We hear from wealthy conservatives in the media about how terrible it is to live in California under "communism." For a bunch of people that appear to believe California is "on the brink of collapse," you think they would be moving out to states like Texas or Georgia.

The point of this thread is not to advocate for political segregation, it is to point out that anti-California rhetoric that is becoming endemic among conservative "cultural critics" is overblown and only furthers suspicion and partisan divide in the country.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Believe it or not, but personal politics is not the sole determining factor in people's decision of where to live.
Of course, I agree. But again, this is about the people in the media that make a living by going on Fox News and telling people in rural Kansas that California is North Korea 2.0 or whatever.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:07 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,790,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
We hear from wealthy conservatives in the media about how terrible it is to live in California under "communism." For a bunch of people that appear to believe California is "on the brink of collapse," you think they would be moving out to states like Texas or Georgia.

The point of this thread is not to advocate for political segregation, it is to point out that anti-California rhetoric that is becoming endemic among conservative "cultural critics" is overblown and only furthers suspicion and partisan divide in the country.
Maybe the positives outweigh the negatives for them. I don't make it a point to ponder why people live where they do because it's none of my business.

Everything in politics is overblown. By everyone.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:12 PM

17,407 posts, read 6,748,850 times
OP's position sounds like he wants a one-dimensional society in California. I say let him have it. California should secede and merge with Mexico.

The last person that advocated such purity ended up committing suicide in a bunker.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:14 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,893,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Right -- but so many times on these boards the suggestion is that quality of life is all based on whether or not you are in a red or blue state.

It's ridiculous right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies