Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:51 PM

29,464 posts, read 22,452,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I wonder if the PBS show will have any content on the bullying of Asian students in public schools, or the anti-Asian sentiment in some inner-cities.
Absolutely nope.

Those kinds of things are buried deep and never to see the light of day, or minimized with ridiculous excuses.

I remember back in 1996 I think, there were a rash of vicious hate crimes committed against Southeast Asian immigrants who were put into housing projects in San Francisco (Bayview Hunters point?). Someone had the gall to excuse the hate crimes by saying it was 'cultural differences.'

And you still see this narrative today. Asians are the ones that are always 'racist' towards others, never the other way around. An Asian person got beaten up or killed? He/she 'deserved' it for the way 'his kind' are so rude and hateful. So on and so on and so on.

Colin Flaherty used to have a great series of videos on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 05:12 PM

7,717 posts, read 3,332,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
We know Asians were treated badly. Not as bad as other groups but they did face discrimination.

You can choose not to watch if you don’t want to.
Please show where I implied I couldn't.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:16 PM

7,717 posts, read 3,332,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The subject of Asians in America is interesting to me, but I just can't bring myself to watch this show. I don't trust PBS to do this without it becoming a "blame whitey" thing.
If reviews in this thread are an indication it's more of a study of white intolerance than of Asian triumph. That doesn't sound so interesting to me. Perhaps when the media obsession with the evils of whiteness passes someone will make a more interesting series about the story of Asians in America.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,835,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Agreed. Asians are doing better than pretty much everyone in this nation, it's a perfect time for liberals to remind us how much we suck as a country. As they always feel the need to do.
Doesn’t the slogan Make America Great Again imply we weren’t that Great?

Old 05-12-2020, 05:31 PM

34,171 posts, read 18,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Doesn’t the slogan Make America Great Again imply we weren’t that Great?
It was in response to Obama and his eight years of apologizing to the world for America and talking down the country at every opportunity. Plus the bad trade deals, poor economy etc under him.

Yes we did BUILD THAT!

Old 05-12-2020, 05:33 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,447,284 times
For those of you harping about the possibility of the documentary "blaming whitey," the issue of historical systemic racism in this country isn't about "blaming whitey," but rather about recognizing the faults in thinking of many of those who came before us and moving forward to become a more just and prejudice free society. As someone who is nominally Asian-American (as a nominal Hindu, I transcend the petty concepts of race and identity! ;D), I would say racism and ethnic/religious prejudice go against the very core principles that this nation was founded upon. As an aspirational society, we should always strive to recognize/remedy the wrongs of the past and move forward together. USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

Old 05-12-2020, 06:27 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,411,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
For those of you harping about the possibility of the documentary "blaming whitey," the issue of historical systemic racism in this country isn't about "blaming whitey," but rather about recognizing the faults in thinking of many of those who came before us and moving forward to become a more just and prejudice free society. As someone who is nominally Asian-American (as a nominal Hindu, I transcend the petty concepts of race and identity! ;D), I would say racism and ethnic/religious prejudice go against the very core principles that this nation was founded upon. As an aspirational society, we should always strive to recognize/remedy the wrongs of the past and move forward together. USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!
The New York Times would disagree with you. In fact, they won a Pulitzer Prize for doing so.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:56 AM

7,512 posts, read 11,322,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post

This could be an interesting documentary as long as it doesn't turn in to a "look at how horribly Asians were treated by white people" whine fest.
Well when you're dealing with the history of most non white people in the U.S before 1970 discrimination will be a significant part of their experiences. There's no way around that.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:56 AM

56,990 posts, read 35,090,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Yes, Asians tend to do very well in this country. This could be an interesting documentary as long as it doesn't turn in to a "look at how horribly Asians were treated by white people" whine fest.
Why would you think that? Did white people treat Asians horribly?

And yeah, Asian Americans do well overall in this country. That’s because they’re actually Americans. They’re not interlopers who just pose as some ornamental object for people to point at. They’re an integral part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The subject of Asians in America is interesting to me, but I just can't bring myself to watch this show. I don't trust PBS to do this without it becoming a "blame whitey" thing.
Blame whitey for what? What did “whitey” do that they could be blamed for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I wonder if the PBS show will have any content on the bullying of Asian students in public schools, or the anti-Asian sentiment in some inner-cities.
Anti Asian sentiments in inner cities? Where?

Bullying of Asian students in school? Where and by whom?

Old 05-13-2020, 06:01 AM

77,975 posts, read 60,153,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Absolutely nope.

Those kinds of things are buried deep and never to see the light of day, or minimized with ridiculous excuses.

I remember back in 1996 I think, there were a rash of vicious hate crimes committed against Southeast Asian immigrants who were put into housing projects in San Francisco (Bayview Hunters point?). Someone had the gall to excuse the hate crimes by saying it was 'cultural differences.'

And you still see this narrative today. Asians are the ones that are always 'racist' towards others, never the other way around. An Asian person got beaten up or killed? He/she 'deserved' it for the way 'his kind' are so rude and hateful. So on and so on and so on.

Colin Flaherty used to have a great series of videos on this.
Fair point, even in the recent covid outbreak the actual racially motivated physical assaults on Asians that have been in the news have not been by the MAGA hat folks. But that doesn't stop some of the media from trying to still mention Trump as some sort of tie-in lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies