Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 01:05 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I read it in the news that Andrew Cuomo said up to 60% of people who got COVID-19 were staying home. You question me and then post the same thing? What do you think this shutdown is for people? Most of them have to leave to go to the store or get food. That was my point, they don’t work that well.
Nope. You need to read more carefully. You said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
We can’t keep lockdown forever. People will not comply forever. More than half of covid cases in NYC were people who were under stay at home orders. Obviously these orders are not working entirely.
The link I posted said it was more than 60 percent of new hospitalizations in New York that were people who stayed at home. Hospitalizations and cases are not the same thing.

See the link below:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ma...ome-2020-05-06

You have no idea what you are talking about.... Not going to address your other comments because they've already been addressed in other posts in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 01:31 AM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I remember when this was supposed to be a short term shutdown.

This is why you can't let them get their nose in the tent.
When July gets here then it may be another month or few more months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm asking how many deaths are you willing to accept for the country to be open for business. What number of lives is worth keeping the economy open?
How many deaths from poverty related issues due to the economy being shut down is acceptable?

Old 05-13-2020, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
And the scary part is there are people who actually think we should stay shut down indefinitely- until we find a vaccine that may never come.
Yes, and there will be many deaths as a result of the economy failing.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:40 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Don't like local leaders? Vote 'em out.
We can't. Here in California, the local leaders I would like to vote out are Democrats and California is a Democratic-voting state (unfortunately, did not used to be that way).

Old 05-13-2020, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Why would it suddenly end in three to four months?

What exactly is the Endgame?
It's already been two months. They're adding another two or three months after first saying a couple of weeks. When the new set of months is up then more will be added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
One thing to note about this pandemic vs. the last major pandemic (the Spanish Flu):

In 1918, there were no known asymptomatic cases for the Spanish Flu; you felt sick (and usually very sick) within about 24 hours of encountering the flu, or you very likely did not have it at all. Healthy people, unlike today, were not considered a threat to one another.

Nevertheless, cities that imposed more restrictions in 1918 fared better than those that posed fewer. That is, cities that closed schools, movie theaters, had bans on large gatherings, etc. had lower death tolls especially during the SECOND wave that hit in fall 1918.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0330110344.htm
Were there tests like there are now to see if someone was asymptomatic? I seriously doubt it. There may be asymptomatic people all over for the regular flu, but they only test people with symptoms so they don't ever know. Asymptomatic people with any virus may possibly pass a virus along.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:59 AM

Quote:
And how long do we keep these restrictions? Remember when we were told it was just two weeks to flatten the curve?

Why are the goal posts constantly being moved?
Yes, that's going on here as well. It was to flatten the curve for two to three weeks. Then it changed to end the spread and any new case is a failure to stop the spread. Pretending to open things up with the threat of closing down again if the cases go up while at the same time increasing testing all over the state is a sure way to get the cases to spike.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:37 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes, and there will be many deaths as a result of the economy failing.
Economists have shown that mortality rates generally decline during economic contractions or recessions in high-income countries.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...cause_of_death

During economic contractions: pollution declines, work hours decline, people have more time for themselves, traffic deaths decline, and deaths from cardiovascular disease decline. With more free time and less money on their hands, people tend to consume less tobacco, exercise more, prepare healthier meals, etc.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:14 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Economists have shown that mortality rates generally decline during economic contractions or recessions in high-income countries.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...cause_of_death

During economic contractions: pollution declines, work hours decline, people have more time for themselves, traffic deaths decline, and deaths from cardiovascular disease decline. With more free time and less money on their hands, people tend to consume less tobacco, exercise more, prepare healthier meals, etc.
I saw somewhere on the CDC site total deaths have gone down since the pandemic and the lockdown.
We should just protect ourselves and our fellow citizens by never going back to work, not going anywhere except for extreme necessity. Every time I get in my car I am putting someone at risk. Anytime I buy something I don't need I am putting someone at risk who had to make it.

Otherwise we show we just don't care and are evil human beings. And we are not following the science.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:15 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
People are being played here and many of them don't even realize it.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:17 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Don't blame governments for trying to help keep their citizens safe. Your anger is misplaced. There is no "they." There's an "it," and its name is Covid.
It's name is fascism. It's all about control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies