Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 03:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times

Advertisements

Well ~ I do think that ship has sailed with the election of DJT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 03:56 PM

30,611 posts, read 18,187,363 times
The Constitution lays out the requirements to be president. Disclosing your tax returns isn't one of them. The Constitution has served us well in this regard for over 200 years. I see no need to change it now.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:01 PM

16,909 posts, read 10,580,649 times
No. Though I do think it would be a political move. One candidate might use it to argue he has “nothing to hide.” But I certainly don’t think it should be a government requirement to run for office. In fact, I’m not sure the government could impose additional office requirements outside those enumerated in the constitution.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:02 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
What this shows is a foreign country could get a puppet elected and voters would never know because they willfully don't want to know.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:04 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,372,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
In order to get more unbiased answers, I've excluded POTUS 45 from this question so Trump supporters can be more objective.

Starting with Biden in 2021, or Trump's predecessor in 2025, do you believe that a presidential candidate must, by law, be required to disclose all personal and any business financials to the public? Do the American people deserve to know?

As I type this, Donald Trump's attorney is before the United States Supreme Court right now, trying to argue why president Trump's finances should be kept hidden from the American people.

Every president for the last 40 years has voluntarily released their tax returns. It's become such the norm that most candidates, regardless of political party, release their tax returns openly and freely, with transparency being the primary motivator.

Trump has defied so many norms with his presidency, I feel like he's exposed a lot of loopholes that voters from both political parties need to be addressed by Congress, with tax returns being one of them. I also personally believe that anyone running for president must have some government experience, whether it's at the municipal/state/federal government level, or having served in the military. But that's a whole separate conversation.

Not including Donald Trump, do you think Congress should change the laws to require every future candidate in the general election to disclose their tax returns? I say yes.
absolutely not. that's a dumb idea entirely.

anyone running as a republican will be attacked for having too much money just like Mit Romney was attacked.

there may have been a time when the release of tax returns showed something Americans would look at as a positive. Now it is just a chance for the opposition to make mountains out of molehills.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:06 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,372,428 times
seriously who hides bad stuff IN their tax returns? "HEY GUBBERMINT! LOOKY HERE! IM BREAKING THE LAW AND SHOWING YOU IN THIS LEGAL DOCUMENT!!!!"

Old 05-12-2020, 04:07 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
In order to get more unbiased answers, I've excluded POTUS 45 from this question so Trump supporters can be more objective.

Starting with Biden in 2021, or Trump's predecessor in 2025, do you believe that a presidential candidate must, by law, be required to disclose all personal and any business financials to the public? Do the American people deserve to know?

As I type this, Donald Trump's attorney is before the United States Supreme Court right now, trying to argue why president Trump's finances should be kept hidden from the American people.
They should be kept hidden for the same reason your finances should be kept hidden. It's none of our business.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:12 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
that's exactly why the USSC will laugh in the faces of those asking for his returns.

Nice to know is the new standard for privacy? lmao
The question is whether or not they can supine a tax return, which is something that can be done to taxpayers. They want to look into why the president should be immune against the same treatment.

Basically the question is whether or not Trump is above the law. He sure seems to think he is.
Quote:
The Supreme Court appeared divided on Tuesday during arguments in a set of cases over whether President Donald Trump can keep his tax records shielded from state and congressional investigators.
This has never been an issue before since past presidents have published them voluntarily when asked, and even without asking. It is a simply matter of being transparent and honest with the American taxpayers.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Still looking for a soft spot 3 years later ? $70 million spent on dirt digging ?
You want to change the law to defeat a candidate rather than by election ?
We did that in New Orleans in the old south -changed the laws to suit the advantage Of our favored group
Same game different favored group

Old 05-12-2020, 04:15 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:

Every president for the last 40 years has voluntarily released their tax returns. It's become such the norm that most candidates, regardless of political party, release their tax returns openly and freely, with transparency being the primary motivator.

Trump has defied so many norms with his presidency, I feel like he's exposed a lot of loopholes that voters from both political parties need to be addressed by Congress, with tax returns being one of them. I also personally believe that anyone running for president must have some government experience, whether it's at the municipal/state/federal government level, or having served in the military. But that's a whole separate conversation.

Not including Donald Trump, do you think Congress should change the laws to require every future candidate in the general election to disclose their tax returns? I say yes.
Nope, a person's income tax return is personal and nobody else's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies