Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 06:55 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,076,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I keep forgetting that all this very detailed information will show up in returns....

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/stat...97646481981441
I thought Rachel Maddow already revealed Trump’s tax returns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 06:58 PM

35,557 posts, read 20,897,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret, lawyers make all kinds of dubious arguments because sometimes they stick.

Are you suggesting the IRS is so inept they would not be able to determine criminal activity over multiple audits?
Unless it’s a tax law they do not get involved. This might not show criminal activity - but may take show some embarrassing truths.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
To fight against harassment isn't troublesome to me. And I think its laughable to argue that these efforts aren't partisan.

Moreover, pushing to have the most transparent presidency doesn't mean opening your personal life and taxes--which are poured over regularly by the IRS in audits--to public scrutiny The president's private life and finances have nothing to do with the presidency, especially for things that leftists allege would have happened well before he took office. Thus, your attempt to "get" Trump as a hypocrite in that sense does not compute.
If that is the case. Then all public servants should have their private lives sealed - no vetting ! Actually bump the criminal backgrounds and credit checks for jobs etc ! No more checking on folks - they can do the job or not Let’s be fair across the board - not just for this man child.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:21 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,150,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
That’s not what the IRS does. All they are checking is to see if the requisite amount of taxes are paid. They are so understaffed that they couldn’t dedicate the time to search for evidence of criminality or conflicts of interest even if they wanted to.
While checking for said taxes should they come across illegal actions they WILL refer for criminal prosecution. Ask my brother-in-law!

Old 05-12-2020, 07:40 PM

16,017 posts, read 6,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
[i]Of course Trump & his lawyers are claiming "immunity".. It's the only way they can keep him out prison! Trump a criminal, his TAX will prove it!
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:
another failed attempt by the underground party of insurrectionists.....Donald Trump 2020 ....woo hoo !

Old 05-12-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
While checking for said taxes should they come across illegal actions they WILL refer for criminal prosecution. Ask my brother-in-law!
Yes - but big money has many shells and layers especially with overseas investments. They can find them- if tax fraud or evasion is part of the game. The IRS knows there a lot of illegal activity - they don’t always pursue it.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:27 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,421,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Totally agree --- if nothing is there leave it....but this going to the Supreme Court to find out if ALL Presidents -- not just Trump -- are immune from criminal charges -- that's the key

I don't know if Trump is guilty of anything..........and that's not the issue.
This is a watershed moment.

The constitution allows impeachment for "high crimes and misdemeanors", which assumes that some how we would know when a president has committed them.

This new line of argument is like saying 'but you will never know'. Checkmate.

I don't think the framers of our constitution ever envisioned a president, any president, who could not be examined for improprieties or who could not be made to answer for them in the courts. This president is making that very argument.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:36 PM

18,556 posts, read 7,326,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

So what do we gain from making the tax records made public? I guess you get lots of fodder for making up scandals out of thin air by misreporting the details, but what legitimate good reason is there for making tax records public?
That's exactly right. They will tell any lie they think they can get away with. As long as the public knows Trump hasn't released his tax returns, that's one thing they apparently don't think they can get away with lying about.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:38 PM

7,819 posts, read 4,545,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Are you suggesting the IRS is so inept they would not be able to determine criminal activity over multiple audits?
However the heart of the Deutsche Bank part of the case is that their audit and compliance personnel appear to have found possible criminal activity. Congress wants the documentation, Trump doesn't want it released and Deutsche Bank is agnostic and just wants a ruling.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:42 PM

4,488 posts, read 4,017,387 times
So just wondering what the legal precedence for getting Trump's tax returns? Why in f is this somehow ok but ie demanding for all his phone records would be absurd?

To be honest, The income tax is the single most massive violation of 4th amendment that ever existed. The government has no f'ing right to know who you were giving money to, or how much or who from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies