Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 01:50 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

Its not the mark of the beast, its the mask of the beast. You can't conduct any financial transactions or have any social contact contact without a mask. Congratulations, we're being stripped of our individuality and identities.
Human rights and freedom are essential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 02:30 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Masks are for your mental well being...really. Most people wear and handle the mask wrong. Its kind of pointless.
They are for you to make you think you are safe. In reality you will contract the virus at some point and you will probably not even know once it hits you.
I suggest you focus on good hand hygiene instead, the things we should have done all along. And if you are immuno compromised just stay inside
I think I'll take medical advice from the Mayo Clinic rather than from some random dude on City-Data.

It's a sad commentary on the United States that so many of our citizens are anti-science know-nothings - and proud of it.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:33 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Another tangential point: The same people virtue signaling about those who don't wear masks are the same people who say "Don't judge a fat person for using a handicapped parking spot because you don't know what their medical condition is." The same goes for someone who isn't wearing a mask - there could be a valid medical reason they aren't wearing a mask. Judgmental left-wing hypocrites -- nothing new there.
Oh, spare us. The overwhelming majority of people who refuse to wear a mask do not have a valid medical reason for not wearing one.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:24 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I really don't see why the mask is political.

Do what you can to protect others. It's really not that difficult for an hour or two.

Not everyone is only out of the house for an hour or two.

Half the country is still going to work every day in essential jobs.

Try wearing a mask all day while you're working.

And the kicker is, the more effective the type of mask is, the more uncomfortable it is....... I've worn N-95 masks. .they suck as far as comfort goes.

And with hot, humid weather coming, it's just going to get worse.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
I hate wearing a mask. I feel silly and uncomfortable.

I have listened to the medical advice about how my wearing a mask can help stop the spread of the disease. I ran it through my BS detector and the advice makes sense. It can prevent me from unknowingly spreading the virus through my breathing, sneezing, or coughing when I'm around other people.

I know it probably does nothing to prevent me from catching the virus from others. I've listened to the reasoning about this and it makes sense to me as well.

I will wear a mask in public.

Fair enough.

It does make sense in theory.

But why the change of advice from the medical community?

First they told us not to wear a mask........

Now it's practically a religion.

And in order for it to do any good, you have to use it correctly ....launder or change to a fresh mask every day as well as actually wear them correctly and consistently, which many people don't.

I see people every day wearing them down around their noses or worse, around their necks, taking them off completely when they need to talk to someone..... which is exactly when it's needed most.

They can also give you a false sense of security, making people slack on social distancing.

Masks aren't the panacea that many people are making them out to be.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Construction dust mask. Totally worthless for medical purposes. So I guess your point is that you hope I get it. Well, I think I've already had it. Mild cold symptoms for a few days. That's it. But thanks for being so classy and perfectly Progressive.

Construction dust masks aren't even effective at stopping dust.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:39 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
Do what they say . . .

Quote:
As early as mid-March, despite White House claims that face masks were unnecessary at the time, a National Security Council team began scrambling to try to acquire medical masks knowing that they were essential to prevent the spread of the virus. However, they quickly realized there was not enough stock for all White House personnel.

On March 14, a senior NSC official reached out to Taiwan to see if it could provide the U.S. government with masks, reported the Washington Post. A few days later, Taiwan officially agreed to provide a goodwill donation of 500,000 medical masks for the Strategic National Stockpile.

Ten days later, the masks arrived in the U.S., with the majority going to the stockpile, while 3,600 masks were set aside for White House staff and officials, according to the report. . . .

Key White House figures were spotted on Monday (May 11) wearing "Made in Taiwan" masks after new coronavirus cases were reported among staff members.

On Monday, staffers in the West Wing were directed to wear masks after a military aid to the president and a spokeswoman for the vice president tested positive for the Wuhuan coronavirus (COVID-19) late last week. At a press conference held in the Rose Garden that same day, many White officials were suddenly seen wearing medical masks for the first time.

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien, and Senior Adviser Jared Kushner were all spotted wearing surgical masks with the label "Made in Taiwan" clearly visible on the lower-left corner. CNA cited a source in the White House as confirming that the masks worn by the officials were indeed medical masks donated by Taiwan to the U.S.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:41 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not everyone is only out of the house for an hour or two.

Half the country is still going to work every day in essential jobs.

Try wearing a mask all day while you're working.

And the kicker is, the more effective the type of mask is, the more uncomfortable it is....... I've worn N-95 masks. .they suck as far as comfort goes.

And with hot, humid weather coming, it's just going to get worse.
Some folks have been -- every day they work -- for the last 12 weeks or more.

Do you work outside?

Old 05-13-2020, 05:00 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
For the non mask wearing crowd that thinks they are useless .....if you ever have surgery make sure you tell your surgeon and nurses to go ahead and cough and sneeze and breathe into whatever cavity they open.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Some folks have been -- every day they work -- for the last 12 weeks or more.

Do you work outside?

I'm an essential employee.

I'm a rep for a chemical company that has to frequently visit various customers in industrial and factory settings.

That means I'm in my car a a lot between being in various manufacturing facilities......most of which have no air conditioning except in the offices, which in the summer time can make the inside as hot or even hotter than it is outside.

I see hundreds of people every day.

Some companies have stricter rules about employee PPE use than others, some require everyone to wear a mask, while others leave it up to the employees discretion.

But even in the best of them, I see people not wearing masks correctly every day.

Wearing them under their nose, or around their necks.

Constantly adjusting them or itching underneath them

Some people wear them one day but not the next.

Many people are wearing the valved type which still let the air they breathe out and others are wearing the same mask every day.

In companies that make it optional, about 10% -30% of employees wear a mask, including management.

My company policy is that I wear a mask and gloves whenever I'm in any customer's facility......and I follow that policy to the letter.

But even I mess up and have to adjust the fit or itch my nose occasionally.

Last edited by FatBob96; 05-13-2020 at 06:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies