Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 07:01 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't think anybody is defending the meat markets. It's more making it sound like all Chinese partake in these habits and making all of them less than because of this very bad practice.

So if other countries talk about the USA and they talk about the FAT , LOUD Americans......other Americans get insulted. Not all Americans are fat and loud. If I object to this kind of damning description of Americans I'm not supporting fat Americans or even the loud ones...just objecting to the fact that someone would hurl a sweeping generalization insult out to Americans.

Adams insulting tweet wasn't t about the Chinese meat markets and more about ALL meat markets......he doesn't like anybody who chooses to eat meat. This time it happened to be the Chinese.

And yes USDA has been instrumental in providing guidelines for wild game .....lots of talk among chefs about this. Joe Rogan and Joe Beef did an interesting podcast a while back about this whole concept of serving truly wild game in restaurants and how it is not allowed but that chefs do find suppliers for 'at home' preparations, etc.

Makes you think twice right? How do you know that deer you shot or elk --- doesn't have some kind of virus thingy in it......

Nobody defends the wet markets?

Try the WHO for starters......

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/who...an-wet-markets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 07:02 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,876 times
Bryan Adams is right.
Liberals are wrong, as usual.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:14 AM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most reasonable people don't hold China responsible for being the place the outbreak "blew up" but rather that their own government system admitted cover-up (Some people claim they were completely forthright about it but can't answer why officials in Wuhan were punished by the CCCP for covering it up.)

They also grossly downplayed the number of deaths and still do to this day.

That made nations across the globe vulnerable to it's spread and to act with less intensity during the early goings on because if China was the flashpoint and it was so easily stopped there with so few deaths in such a huge country it's not that bad.

Before making partisan excuses for China because of your US politics, set the US completely aside and look around the world.
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Agree....................The Chinese Communist Party is responsible for the global pandemic.
Unfortunately, the point of contact were mostly Chinese people and spread outward from there.
It only makes sense to be wary that the disease may be concentrated in higher numbers in
the American Chinese population due to world travel until this ugly disease dissipates.

During the outbreak of aids homosexuals in the eyes of many were not treated fairly.
Can you blame people to take the side of caution? Absolutely not............

If the news media tells you not to by a certain vegetable in the produce section
for fear of listeria contamination you simply don't buy it.

China and Politics are intertwined by shared commerce. That is a given.
China was a flash point of over a dozen pandemics in the last 100 years.
America is focusing on self preservation and will do what is necessary
to protect its' sovereignty and knows when to play nice nice.
Now is not the time............................

Old 05-13-2020, 07:25 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Bryan Adams is right.
Liberals are wrong, as usual.
Um, Bryan Adams grew up in Canada. I can practically guarantee that he is "liberal" by American standards, even though he might be more conservative by Canadian standards. Don't know the guy, but I'll bet he's no Trump supporter.

So, it appears that YOU'RE the one who's wrong.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:28 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
Bryan Adams? There's a name I haven't heard in a while. Total blast from the past.

Is the random political opinion of a has-been singer relevant enough to warrant its own new thread in the political section?

Old 05-13-2020, 07:29 AM

As usual, (Canadian) Chinese communities accuse others of racism, when they are among the most blatantly racist people I've ever known.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 05-13-2020 at 07:40 AM..

Old 05-13-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Didn't Trump compliment the Chinese and all the President of China did during the early days of the virus?

Son....you better worry about things back in the USA....lol.
Yes, I believe he did.

And Trump has done a lot of business with the Chinese, as has the entire Trump family. His apparel line is(was) made there, and so was Ivanka's.

Why aren't their clothes made in America? I would appreciate if even one Trump supporter could answer that and include why they don't take the Trumps to task for that anti-American "business" decision.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:48 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Hate speech laws. Im asking because i know Canada has them but I do not know their extent.
"Them"?

Section 319(1) makes it an offence to communicate statements in a public place which incite hatred against an identifiable group, where it is likely to lead to a breach of the peace. The Crown prosecutor can proceed either by indictment or by summary process.

NO; Bryan Adams comments were not hate speech nor was any "official entity" within Canada concerned about them.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm not passionate about Vegans.

I'm passionate about personal choice......which being a Vegan is.

But it's's amazing to me how anyone can defend these barbaric, medieval wet markets for any reason.

If you've ever seen the videos of them, they're truly disgusting and now a global health hazard.

Time to leave them in the 15th century where they belong.
I agree with both of your points.

I won't ever defend our factory farms, as I think the animals are often mistreated (as they can be at private farms. A video came out about 10 years ago showing a farm hand physically abusing newborn calves at a farm in Ohio). The legal and social penalties for the cruelty should be much more severe than they are.

But animal cruelty is not, generally speaking, publicly accepted in our culture the way it seems to be in some parts of China.

I have no problem with some Chinese choosing to eat cats and dogs, because I see no difference between the animals we choose as pets, and cows, pigs, lambs, etc (no, I'm not a vegetarian).

What I do think is abhorrent is the horrific pain they deliberately inflict on the animals (they're skinned alive and then boiled alive. They're beaten to death with wooden poles, etc). All while the tens of millions of people who attend events like the annual dog meat festival stand around watching this barbaric cruelty. I guess they consider it entertainment?

Old 05-13-2020, 07:59 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We have thousands of wet markets in US too (seafood, veggies), some of which are world famous, like the ones in San Fran and Seattle.

Maybe you did not realize it, but s call to ban wet markets would close them in US too, and put lot of people out of their jobs.

Tell me this is the same thing as American fish markets or Farmer's Markets.

Go ahead....watch it.

https://youtu.be/0V7fyjaFOwQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies