Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 09:30 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times

Advertisements

(shamelessly stolen from another board. Author unknown)

IF YOU WERE BORN IN 1900

Maybe we don't have it that bad? Excellent perspective.

Yeah, It’s a real mess out there now. Hard to discern between what’s a real threat and what is just simple panic and hysteria. For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were born in 1900.

On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday. 22 million people perish in that war. In that same year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. 50 million people die from it in those two years. Yes, that's right. 50 million.

On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 35. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy.

When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people will perish in the war.

Smallpox was epidemic until you were in your 40’s, as it killed 300 million people during your lifetime.

At 50, the Korean War starts. 5 million more perish. From your birth, until you are 55 you dealt with the fear of Polio epidemics each summer. You experience friends and family contracting polio and being paralyzed and/or die.

At 55 the Vietnam War begins and doesn’t end for 20 years. 4 million people perish in that conflict. During the Cold War, you lived each day with the fear of nuclear annihilation. On your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, almost ended. When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends.

Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How did they endure all of that? When you were a kid in 1985 and didn’t think your 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. And how mean that kid in your class was. Yet they survived through everything listed above. Perspective is an amazing art. Refined and enlightening as time goes on. Let’s try and keep things in perspective. Your parents and/or grandparents were called to endure all of the above – you are called to stay home and sit on your couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 09:34 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
A classic curse: May you live in exciting times.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:38 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
A classic curse: May you live in exciting times.
That's actually a Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

Old 05-12-2020, 09:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
On the plus side if you were living prior to 1913 you weren't enslaved by the Federal Reserve.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:51 PM

273 posts, read 96,720 times
interesting read thanks for sharing,, perspective is everything, I had a great uncle who's legs were paralyzed from polio and i think it directly affected my upbringing as my grandpa was hardened by this , and my dad was hardened by my grandpa's harshness to life from my great uncle losing his legs

at the same time if you told that person there was a current pandemic and the world wasn't sure if it came from a "batsoup" or manufactured in a lab that person would be in shock. All of the above events are terrible and unnecessary,

but it is hard to beat how unnecessary the CCP committing biowarfare and claiming it was caused by a "batsoup" in a time when the world was relatively peaceful is,,, the CCP had a tough trade war with the U.S. and HK was grabbing major headlines, but china was still growing and in power,,, them committing biowarfare at this relatively peaceful time is hard to understand even when put into perspective with our past,

i hope i don't sound crazy for saying it was an act of biowarfare, i say this bc our secretary of state and our president have claimed to see evidence it may have intentionally been leaked from a lab,, this is no longer a wild conspiracy when your secretary of state is saying it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies