Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 10:26 AM

2,180 posts, read 639,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Actually Trump has said -- if you want a test you can get one -- many many times. It's not a promise -- it's a statement......BUt yeah he lied.

And yes -- we need better testing, contact tracing.....but that doesn't mean there is a call for a lockdown for eternity.

THat's made up.
You can walk into any urgent care center in America today and get a test.

And the tests that have now been developed can give you results very quickly. Within about an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 11:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Oye. It must be awful to live in a country where you think half of all voters are bad people, and all because they won’t vote for your candidate. The arrogance is unbelievable.
That’s the OP’s thesis.
People are simply responding in kind.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:08 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I don’t care for Rush, but what does him wearing masks have to do with anything? I don’t see anyone saying not to practice social distancing and that masks are a bad idea. Some idiots are not doing it, but I would bet that is both liberals and conservatives. I am all for opening up the country while taking the necessary precautions. We need to do this in order to save our civilization, but liberals have just one goal in mind...do not let Trump win a second term no matter the cost.
Oh lordy. This is just sad.

So Governor Mike DeWine (R) Ohio also enacted social distancing measures early "We must be at war with this virus." Is what? Really a liberal? Come on. Some Governor's Republican and Democrat got it right with early intervention. Some like Cuomo got it wrong with a late intervention.

FiveThirtyEight has an interesting article: Democratic and GOP Governor's Enacted Stay At Home Orders on the same Timeline. But Holdouts Are All Republican."
Bicker bicker troll thread after troll thread trying to convince the rubes to be warriors and take one for the Trump team.

There is door number three. Trump is hiding in his office being tested daily. People are wearing masks, and I'd be willing to bet that Trump is taking Remdesivir.

Wuhan is going to test all 11million people in 10 days because of a recent spike in cases. If they can do that, why can't we test aggressively and contact trace? I mean, it's good enough for Trump right. Why isn't it good enough for us? Do you think they're contact tracing everyone in the west wing that came in contact with those that tested positive? Ya think. Where is our contact tracing? Where was it early on along with the testing? Fauci testified in the Senate yesterday that we are still behind the eight ball in testing nearly 5 months into this. Why? If Trump is practicing social distancing, being tested, and people are wearing masks, why is the message door number one? Go out and risk being infected or door number two, stay home and go into a depression?

Where is our door number 3?

Better yet instead of this tribal B.S, arguing which side is better. Why aren't we talking about how botched this response was and still is? Why aren't we talking about how some nations like Taiwan had a model response with 6 deaths, under 1,000 cases, and never shut down their economy?

Want to talk about the latest look over there dumb ass Obamagate conspiracy theory or would you rather talk about what we need to do to dig ourselves out of this nightmare? Trump isn't going to do it for us. Lets look to our governors, the muzzled CDC and science instead of bickering about petty nonsense.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:10 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
Liberals think we can shut down forever until the virus somehow just disappears

Laughable

Old 05-13-2020, 12:12 PM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Destroying the economy could literally lead to global armed conflict. Ramping up healthcare capacity in conjunction with strategically tranching populations back into a modified economy is a necessity.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:13 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Next Four Months Will Be War Like You've Never Seen, Dems Will Try To Keep Economy Shut Down
Pandemic is very much like War. And over the next few months Dems will be more likely to follow their medical general's orders.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:17 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Actually Trump has said -- if you want a test you can get one -- many many times. It's not a promise -- it's a statement......BUt yeah he lied.

And yes -- we need better testing, contact tracing.....but that doesn't mean there is a call for a lockdown for eternity.

THat's made up.
I agree. I live in N.C. and we are in phase 1 of reopening. Unfortunately we aren’t hitting the numbers we need for phase 2 yet.

SC is already open.

But I stil think caution is needed and a lot of people acting like it’s lock down for eternity will probably venture out without a mask to prove a point.. some will also have guns too for some weird reasons to prove they are badasses.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:19 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Things need to open up next month.

Enough of this lockdown.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:24 PM

609 posts, read 263,786 times
Lockdowns can stop but individual consumers do NOT have to risk their health or lives to go to a restaurant or movie theater. Stopping a lockdown may not save many of these businesses anyway. Charles Darwin said survival depends on being able to adapt and change with one's environment. These businesses need to do just that - adapt and change, or die out.

In particular I am sick of restaurants telling, shaming and guilting the public to "save them" by coming to their restaurant. My life is worth soooooo much more than your restaurant business. I can cook at home!

Old 05-13-2020, 12:25 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
So you’re enjoying receiving government handouts and are banking on more to come while you sit on your ass all day watching nextflix......

I'm enjoying being more distant from people generally but still getting paid. I can't use sick leave now but haven't needed to. Some days are harder than others and sure I have to get up a little earlier (I'm not a morning person) but I don't ever want to go back. I never wanted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Lockdowns can stop but individual consumers do NOT have to risk their health or lives to go to a restaurant or movie theater. Stopping a lockdown may not save many of these businesses anyway. Charles Darwin said survival depends on being able to adapt and change with one's environment. These businesses need to do just that - adapt and change, or die out.

In particular I am sick of restaurants telling, shaming and guilting the public to "save them" by coming to their restaurant. My life is worth soooooo much more than your restaurant business. I can cook at home!

This is one of the few downsides for me. I worry about a few of my favorite restaurants going under sometimes. Sure we cook at home but it's nice to have a little variety and one recipe that I've been wanting to have takes 5 hours. Not to mention recipes tend to get wasteful because you never end up using the whole thing because it only needs a little of everything.
Ideally if they keep my job closed and open everything else I'd be okay with that (as I say my job will probably be one of the last to open but I know it will open eventually). Movie theaters I can live without though.

If they want me to save them though that's pretty sad. Even though I might like their food I can't afford to eat it that often.

Last edited by Nickchick; 05-13-2020 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies