Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 01:30 PM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This.
I can tell who my son's best teachers are. The difference in this mess is not subtle.
Yep, I have seen two very different responses in teachers since the online learning started.

One detail to point out is that parents are now doing the actual teaching. I have to sit down with my youngest child and go over math step by step. The math teacher gives questions and sometimes a video pulled from online with examples, but the teacher is doing zero teaching.

The new disease affecting children who have had covid-19 or are currently fighting it are coming down with serious illness due to an over reactive immune system. I wouldn't call it mild either. Its a huge risk for schools to open with that adding to the fact children can transmit coronavirus just like anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 02:29 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Arizona Governor Doug Ducey, a Republican and Arizona Secretary of Education Kathy Hoffman, a Democrat are trying to have Arizona schools open in August for the 2020-21 school year. Hoffman is working with districts to come up with plans for the school year and ways students and staff can social distance. I as an educator hope we make the right choice, especially with the Kawasaki Syndrome risks.
I'm fine with that. Different region. Different exposure. Different risk. And good for them - Republicans and Democrats working together. Schools being open or closed isn't a partisan issue.

In my area, they closed schools mid-March and called off the rest of the school year in mid-April. I have no idea if schools will reopen in August. I think they might do a shift schedule. Kids A-M report to school one week while N-Z get online work. Then the following week they swap. Honestly, that seems like a huge headache for teachers.

Bigger picture - I don't see how the economy can recover properly if millions of Americans can't return to work due to schools being closed (school workers, parents with day jobs, etc). So if the decision is made (again... not a Republican/Democrat partisan thing) to have schools closed in a state, the economy will be much slower to recover.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:52 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I'm fine with that. Different region. Different exposure. Different risk. And good for them - Republicans and Democrats working together. Schools being open or closed isn't a partisan issue.

In my area, they closed schools mid-March and called off the rest of the school year in mid-April. I have no idea if schools will reopen in August. I think they might do a shift schedule. Kids A-M report to school one week while N-Z get online work. Then the following week they swap. Honestly, that seems like a huge headache for teachers.

Bigger picture - I don't see how the economy can recover properly if millions of Americans can't return to work due to schools being closed (school workers, parents with day jobs, etc). So if the decision is made (again... not a Republican/Democrat partisan thing) to have schools closed in a state, the economy will be much slower to recover.
That is one method. Another I heard from a co-worker is that they go on alternating days and Friday is a "work day" without kids. I also think it could be elective to return and have more homebound education options. The problem I fear is the Kawasaki Disease for kids. It shows that children aren't as "healthy carriers" as we all thought two months ago.

I do agree that will slow economic growth but I think it would be slowed anyway due to how many cannot get unemployment and/or their stimulus checks fast enough. Plus we are seeing rising food prices and not just meats... The biggest problem is absorbing costs for dumped goods going to resutraunts.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:58 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Who is Dr. Falsi???
He is a guy that none of these right wingers would even know about if Trump had not put him in front of them.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Who is Dr. Falsi???
An attempt at Trumpettes are doing at butchering Dr. Fauci's name. Or perhaps saying he was putting forth non-truths...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies