Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 07:07 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Do away with elected officials and be your own boss.

Asking Americans to be self-governing? What a novel idea. Might have actually worked 150 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 01:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
I disagree with a maximum age requirement but I would have no problem with making them pass a competency text before running.

The way I look at things, Warren Buffett is 89 years old and is way more competent than Joe Biden was at 60 let alone what Biden is now.

This should not only go for the presidency, but should also apply to congress and the senate, both state and federal.
That's an interesting proposal. If we mandated a competency test similar to the US citizenship test, and then published the results of that test, it would let voters know which candidates lacked the basic knowledge to serve.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
her Senate term will expire when she's 91. Will she run again? Probably. Dems are ignoring they need a big makeover.
I'm upset that both the Republicans and Democrats seem to be heading toward nominating a couple of doddering old geriatric fools for president. It's my fervent hope that both Trump and Biden die of Covid-19 before the nominating conventions in August. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see a McConnell funeral too.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:40 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Asking Americans to be self-governing? What a novel idea. Might have actually worked 150 years ago.
I practice it wherever possible.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:52 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
For the good of the country the minimum age to hold elected office should be 105 and only one term allowed. The fewer politicians the better.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Regardless of what you think about their political beliefs, both McConnell and Bloomberg are the same age as Joe Biden and both are mentally as sharp as tacks. Not everyone has the same issues as they age.

That said, I do think it’s reasonable to have a dementia/Alzheimer’s check up of some kind before every election. I also think there should be a mandatory one every 3 or 4 years after age 60 for judges serving lifetime appointments.
I don't think either McConnell or Bloomberg are all that competent. McConnell occupies a different century in his mind, and Bloomberg relies on past glory and an Italian tailor.

There's a balance in public life that has to accommodate the imagination and ideals of youth with the stability and wisdom of age. Our current leadership has promoted the decadence of our nation. While supporting "business interests," the Chinese economy has surged past the US to become the largest in the world. The elderly have a great affection for the past, but no vision for the future.

While it may be possible for a geriatric politician to have a vision for America's future, in practice that has not worked out. In practice, they retreat to solutions to different problems, during a different era, with different resources to deploy. So far, all they have come up with is to dump "stimulus" money into the system, spending $trillions for no return at all. Meanwhile, we're all supposed to huddle in fear until a vaccine arrives, or go back to work and die until a vaccine arrives. They choose to ignore the fact that we have never developed an effective vaccine for a coronavirus, and it may not be possible. That is the work of minds that are decades past their last tune-up.

Realistic solutions have nothing to do with partisan politics. If you want to boost business activity, why not subsidize the design and construction of business facilities that naturally limit contagion? It's not like the coronavirus is the first new disease to pop up, and it won't be the last. One shows up every few years, so why not prep for it? Construction workers get 100,000 new jobs, businesses get new factories and offices, and Americans get back to living a more or less normal life.

Do you really think any of the old farts in office today could even understand the possibilities of the future? We need to get rid of them.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Have you actually read any history? 150 years ago, mine owners were gunning down workers who objected to working conditions. Roving military bands were committing genocide in the West. Self-governing is an euphemism for doing whatever you can get away with.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,146,486 times
Why not just let people decide the maximum age with their vote?

Old 05-14-2020, 03:19 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm upset that both the Republicans and Democrats seem to be heading toward nominating a couple of doddering old geriatric fools for president. It's my fervent hope that both Trump and Biden die of Covid-19 before the nominating conventions in August. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see a McConnell funeral too.
Disgusting comments (hopes) that tell us all we need to know about you.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:21 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Age limit? How about a physical test qualifier ? Make them go thru a few Americans Ninja obstacles!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies