Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 10:04 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It’s not just sick people. It’s entire households of people who any health department official believes might become sick. It’s at their sole discretion. There is virtually no limit to this in the code and that’s the problem, and that’s why it will probably go down when sued. We can only hope.
Exactly. The sick should definitely stay home. It’s this trace contact bit that is completely open-ended. Someone could show up at my door and tell me that according to my credit card use, I was at the Walgreen’s on May 5, and it has been determined that the guy working behind the film counter has tested positive and he was on duty that day. It is possible I walked by him and he sneezed in my direction. We are therefore requiring that all customers who were in the Walgreen that day isolate for 14 days.

Good reason to pay cash.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:07 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
A court order has to be issued in order for involuntary detention to happen, no? That means the health official has to convince a judge it's necessary. Right?
What if it’s an activist liberal judge, like the one delaying Flynn’s discharge? Some of these judges are quite extreme with their bias.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:09 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I would have no problem with contact tracing that was informative in scope... Much the way Costco emailed me when a product I bought was recalled, and left how to respond to it up to me. "By the way, someone who ate at the same restaurant as you has since tested positive." OK - I'll think about that and do what I think is right.

I have a BIG problem with people coming to my house and demanding to test me based on a reported contact we evidently can't even verify. Visited by people who have the full authority to arrest me and my entire household and hold us all with no due process. For possibly being exposed to this virus. No crime has been committed. No dangerous behavior is required. Just refusal to be tested by this visitor at my door. If you don't see why that's a problem, I'm not sure what you actually do value about our country and our constitution. Because there isn't much that is more important than our freedom and rights.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:14 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would have no problem with contact tracing that was informative in scope... Much the way Costco emailed me when a product I bought was recalled, and left how to respond to it up to me. "By the way, someone who ate at the same restaurant as you has since tested positive." OK - I'll think about that and do what I think is right.

I have a BIG problem with people coming to my house and demanding to test me based on a reported contact we evidently can't even verify. Visited by people who have the full authority to arrest me and my entire household and hold us all with no due process. For possibly being exposed to this virus. No crime has been committed. No dangerous behavior is required. Just refusal to be tested by this visitor at my door. If you don't see why that's a problem, I'm not sure what you actually do value about our country and our constitution. Because there isn't much that is more important than our freedom and rights.
I also have an issue with them going into my contacts to see who I actually came into contact with. Like what the actual hell? I wouldn't remember who I saw a week ago. Nor do I use my phone to meet up with people.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's for two weeks and you get a personal assistant to do your outside chores. Terrible I tell you.
Most people have family and friends or neighbors who will take care of the basic needs, like food and medicine.

Most people live in metro areas where home delivery of food and medicine is readily available.

Many communities have volunteers who are ready and able to assist.

There is a plan to address the basic needs of those who fall outside of those who fall between the cracks.
Hello National Guard.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What if it’s an activist liberal judge, like the one delaying Flynn’s discharge? Some of these judges are quite extreme with their bias.
What if? What if? What if?

What if it's a super conservative judge? What if it's an alcoholic judge?

So now we're at at activist liberal health dept official, PLUS an activist liberal judge to get to the point of possible involuntary detention based on a law that's been on WA's books for who knows how long.

I'm certain the vast majority of Washingtonians have more likely issues they should be focusing on.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Why read the article when you can just freak out about the headline while stroking your...rifle, amirite?
Same deal on yesterday’s “ gestapo” thread. The embedded video had nothing to do with COVID 19. That did not matter to posters who seem vulnerable to sensational click bait and paranoia.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:32 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenchi View Post
You have been shown to be incorrect several times now.
Where?

Quote:
You don't understand the law, and were shown this.
Where?

Quote:
You claimed something that was not true about the article and was shown this.
What?

Quote:
Now you continue to argue the position by saying "they wouldn't do that" even though they have a law that says they can.
I never argued the law said they couldn't. I said it's unlikely and I stand by that assertion.

Quote:
I think it is clear you really don't have a grasp of the issue and are now dangerously suspect of being partisan to support an agenda.
I have no agenda - I don't live in WA. I couldn't possibly care less about your suspicions of me. I'll stick to facts, thanks just the same.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
He is saying that the government will offer a free service to those who don't have friends and family to help. Absolutely nothing more.

Where does it say you can't leave your house? Quote it for me.
No one is going to be stationed at the door barring exit. No one gets electronic monitors. It is expected most reasonable people will self isolate and avoid opportunities to spread the virus.

Like with anything, a small percentage of the population will not take personal responsibility.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:40 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
You say that with a straight face? It is not I who is cowering in fear over a virus that is nowhere near as bad as many past occurrences, who is so scared that they feel they must subvert liberties to impose their wilful ignorance of reality to be safe and secure in their mind.

The irony of your attempt to dismiss these discussions is so blatant, it defies logic.

Hear hear.

They accuse us of fearmongering while they continue to exaggerate the risk and repeat the accusation that we must just want people to die from this virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies