Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 04:10 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times

Advertisements

https://www.wsj.com/articles/massach...es-11587211201

what's going on in MA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 04:18 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Has quietly? You haven't been paying attention.

1. We were seeded early, between tons of business between China and Europe, tourism to and from Italy, and a superspreader event in late February at a conference where people went back to their suburbs and offices and quietly spread the disease for more than a week before people knew what was going on.

2. We're testing a LOT. The National Guard has gone into more than 300 nursing homes and tested everyone, from residents to staff, so our age of diagnosis skews older than reality. It took two months, but now anyone can get a test even with very mild symptoms or suspected contact.

3. We're also recording every death in a nursing home with a positive case, something that any states are hazy on.

This is why I'm so nervous about other states opening up. They have no idea what they really have going on in their states due to lack of testing, especially preemptive testing. I don't really think it's that much worse here than many other areas, but we just know how bad it is compared to other regions.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:28 PM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times
I never knew Mass had that many cases as all they talk about is Wash. state, NY and New Orleans. What I'd like to see a breakdown of is how many people that tested positive required hospitalization. I think the vast majority of people in all states were either asymptomatic or what they thought was a cold. How many people actually had the 3 week - I think I'm going to die version?

My cousin in the nursing home tested positive. He's had a sore throat for 3 weeks on and off. He now has what feels like a head cold - nothing in his chest and he's diabetic, overweight and has other medical problems. When I was told he tested positive - I expected to get a call that they had to rush him to the hospital and he's in ICU on a ventilator. Hasn't happened yet to either he or his positive roommate and I really don't think it is going to.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:41 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I never knew Mass had that many cases as all they talk about is Wash. state, NY and New Orleans. What I'd like to see a breakdown of is how many people that tested positive required hospitalization. I think the vast majority of people in all states were either asymptomatic or what they thought was a cold. How many people actually had the 3 week - I think I'm going to die version?

My cousin in the nursing home tested positive. He's had a sore throat for 3 weeks on and off. He now has what feels like a head cold - nothing in his chest and he's diabetic, overweight and has other medical problems. When I was told he tested positive - I expected to get a call that they had to rush him to the hospital and he's in ICU on a ventilator. Hasn't happened yet to either he or his positive roommate and I really don't think it is going to.

You can find a lot of stats and info in Boston.com. Channel 7 WHDH's website also keeps good track of data.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:47 PM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
You can find a lot of stats and info in Boston.com. Channel 7 WHDH's website also keeps good track of data. I'd say we got hit hard for sure but there are still folks even here in MA calling for our governor's head for shutting down the economy for 2 months counting.
TY for that info! I just saw the New Orleans is getting prepared to open up.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:

The article that the OP linked is from early April. We're finally coming off the peak now. It's always surprising to me that people don't know how bad it's been here because we're a small state who have lost more than 5400 people at this point. llinois rushed past us to be the 3rd most number of cases, and California and Pennsylvania aren't far behind total cases and both have higher numbers of active cases (with Georgia right on our heels): https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ It's hard to take any of that seriously, though, because access to testing and how deaths are reported is so varied across states.

Each day at 4, the Mass Department of Health puts out a really comprehensive dashboard that includes specific numbers at all hospitals, some information about all nursing/long term care homes, number of tests & percentage positive and hospitalization data: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...onse-reporting

Today's report showed that we're down a total of close to 500 hospitalizations from where we were a week ago. Great news after about two weeks of a plateau.

More than 60% of our deaths have been in nursing homes, and our testing is skewed heavily toward the elderly because of the way we had to target group housing for testing. What's fascinating is *because* of our aggressive testing in nursing homes, we're finding even very elderly people are asymptomatic or can have mild cases. Still, 25% of people over 80 who test positive end up passing away.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
How many people actually had the 3 week - I think I'm going to die version?

It's hard to tell. Here's something that just popped up on Facebook from a former coworker in her early 40s:
"I'm on week 9. My lungs are slowly clearing from the pneumonia, as I never had the cough. I also have a little uncomfortable swelling on my thigh. It's tiring. Overall, my energy and oxygen are good. I'm grateful for every, little, thing. We must all take this virus seriously."

Week 9 and still having issues, though thankfully normalish.

Another friend is a very healthy woman in her mid-30s who is very active. She was sick for more than a month and still has reduced lung function and fatigue at week 7. She couldn't leave her bedroom except to go to the bathroom (and scrub the whole thing down) for 4 weeks because she lives with 2 roommates and 1 bathroom. At the time, the closest test center was driving distance and she didn't want to put anyone at risk and ask them to drive her, so they still don't know if the roommates ended up getting it and were actually just asymptomatic.

A couple I know are in their late 20s/early 30s both got sick, as did their 4 year old. They were so sick that they all had to quarantine separately in the house, limiting their time with their daughter just to feed her. They were told not to hug her because of viral load. They live in a hard-hit part of NJ where their local hospital was overwhelmed, so when one of them was really struggling to breathe they had her walk across her room. If she could make it across the room without needing to sit down, even if it took 5 minutes, then she wasn't sick enough to be admitted. A "mild case."

Now, I'm sure I know many more people who were mildly ill who didn't really know they were sick because they didn't have access to a test at the time. The last coworker I sat next to in the office before we worked from home ended up showing symptoms the next week. This was mid-March, so when his wife tested positive (she was much sicker), he wasn't approved a test. She was much sicker, but he was *only* sick for 2 weeks. Of the people I know who were sick, he's the only one who was sick for less than a month - and he's the oldest (in his 50s), too! I spiked a fever every night starting about a week after I last saw him, but couldn't get a test. I certainly hope there are more broad antibody testing.

On the other hand, two coworkers in their late 50s/early 60s have died from coronavirus. I wonder how many other youngish people I might have known who died if we hadn't shut down when we did. That's not including no less than a dozen friends who have lost parents or grandparents.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:28 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
The whole northeast is covid central. NY, PA NJ and MA has half of the nation's infections and deaths.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
what's going on in MA?
I guess it's news to some people that COVID-19 is highly contagious.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:44 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
They are suicidal since they lost Tom Brady & Gronk to the Bucaneers, so they quit wearning masks and distancing.

Plus, they don't want New York to beat them at anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies