Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 07:12 PM

654 posts, read 360,531 times

Advertisements

I'm a Libertarian- a former Republican who has even served in government as a Republican. I really dislike the Democratic Party, so don't accuse me of being a leftist.

Question: Is Donald Trump intentionally awful?

It's as though he refuses to learn and refuses to be a decent human being.

For example, today he said that coronavirus testing is overrated.

What in the world? It's common knowledge that more testing is needed before the US can reopen its economy. It's as though he refuses to listen to people who know things about solving the current pandemic.

From originally claiming that coronavirus is the "Democrats' new hoax" to trying to override Fauci and force schools to open, etc.; it's as though he willfully refuses to promote decent public policy.

If I were a billionaire in my 70s and I had a high-profile job, I'd get a career coach and lots of good staff to help keep me in line and make good decisions. But he won't. At every instance, if he can choose between being civil and making good policy, on one hand, or being nasty and making decisions against the advice of people who actually know something, he does the latter. As though he were trying to be as obnoxious and uninformed as possible.

I thought that Obama was horrendous, too. 12 years of this awful leadership in the executive branch.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:16 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,352,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
I'm a Libertarian- a former Republican who has even served in government as a Republican. I really dislike the Democratic Party, so don't accuse me of being a leftist.

What in the world? It's common knowledge that more testing is needed before the US can reopen its economy. It's as though he refuses to listen to people who know things about solving the current pandemic.

From originally claiming that coronavirus is the "Democrats' new hoax" to trying to override Fauci and force schools to open, etc.; it's as though he willfully refuses to promote decent public policy.

If I were a billionaire in my 70s and I had a high-profile job, I'd get a career coach and lots of good staff to help keep me in line and make good decisions. But he won't. At every instance, if he can choose between being civil and making good policy, on one hand, or being nasty and making decisions against the advice of people who actually know something, he does the latter. As though he were trying to be as obnoxious and uninformed as possible.

I thought that Obama was horrendous, too. 12 years of this awful leadership in the executive branch.
He's playing the role of TV star is all I can figure. He isn't going to lose his base by behaving a bit decent, but he may be able to bring on a few independents. So, I have to conclude, he just loves the attention whatever it is.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:17 PM

14,364 posts, read 11,859,185 times
Context is everything. With Trump, even moreso.

Testing is good for sick people.... to confirm what they have.

It's probably good for continually at risk people like health care people, so they know and can stop working and get treated.

For the rest of us, it's overrated. I don't need a test. If I got a test today, the very next person I see or place I go, I wouldn't behave any differently. I still have to take care and pretend I might have it, and pretend everyone else has it, to be safe. It wouldn't change anything.

The masses don't need testing, IMHO.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-14-2020 at 07:30 PM..

Old 05-14-2020, 07:19 PM

45,035 posts, read 26,196,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post

A libertarian that supported the economy being shut down? lol okay

Old 05-14-2020, 07:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,518,268 times
So it's important to understand that most of Trump's supporters are quite passionate for Trump because like they are Trump is strongly against illegal immigrants. This is by far their no. 1 issue. They sure as heck can't turn to any Democrat candidates to be anti-immigrants.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:21 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,078,274 times
I think he’s doing his best. In that it’s like a robot trying to be human...
“Fellow human, have you tried tried using light or disinfectant? It lubricates your gears.”

Old 05-14-2020, 07:24 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,352,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I think he’s doing his best. In that it’s like a robot trying to be human...
“Fellow human, have you tried tried using light or disinfectant? It lubricates your gears.”
He should watch some "Dexter," to see how it's done. Dexter managed to learn to imitate human characteristics pretty well. But, he had a dad who cared and taught him.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:24 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,769,029 times
Only awful to those who lost... Curious why the people who voted against Trump are the biggest crybabies...

Old 05-14-2020, 07:29 PM

22,309 posts, read 11,819,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So it's important to understand that most of Trump's supporters are quite passionate for Trump because like they are Trump is strongly against illegal immigrants. This is by far their no. 1 issue. They sure as heck can't turn to any Democrat candidates to be anti-immigrants.
You are deliberately blurring the line between legal immigrants and illegal aliens. Being against illegal immigration is not being "anti-immigrant". Legal immigrants obeyed our immigration laws and patiently awaited their turn to come here. You should get out more. Illegal immigration makes legal immigrants angry---and rightly so. Illegal aliens either overstayed a visa or sneaked across the border. Illegal aliens have no business being here and need to leave. Period.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:30 PM

1,737 posts, read 948,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Context is everything. With Trump, even moreso.

Testing is good for sick people.... to confirm what they have.

It's probably good for continually at risk people like health care people, so they know and can stop working and get treated.

For the rest of us, it's overrated. I don't need a test. If I got a test today, the very next person I see or place I go, I wouldn't behave any differently. I still have to take care and pretend I might have it, and pretend everyone else has it, to be safe. It wouldn't change anything.
The reason that more testing is a good thing is it gives us an idea of how many people are infected. If we only test people that are already showing symptoms, that doesn't really tell us much. It's the rate of positive tests that gives us some idea of how widespread it is and gives us a roadmap to get back to some sort of normalcy. I believe the guideline is 10% or under to be considered safe to start getting out of lockdown. If a state only tests 500 people, and there is, for example, a 5% positive rate, that doesn't tell us as much as if we tested 50,000 people and they had a 5% positive rate. If you test very large numbers of people, and the positive results are low, then the virus is not very widespread, and it will be easier to control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies