Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 04:13 PM

25,420 posts, read 9,723,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfl View Post
Dems want to keep this going they want "control". Aint gonna happen dems. We are Americans, we have freedom, period. Get this economy back people don't let the dems win. Trump 2020! )
Guess the Dems have a different economy somehow? Do you all realize how ridiculous you sound when you start talking like the Dems and Reps live in different countries? We all suffer when the economy heads south. SMDH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 04:17 PM

19,394 posts, read 6,460,466 times
I think people in full shutdown areas, like the liberal NoVa area, are ignoring it. I just had to run an errand - listed under Northam’s edict as a qualifying “essential trip” - and the roads were packed. I think people have just had enough and are going out, visiting friends, whatever.

It’s also possible that these people were driving back from other parts of Virginia, which are now in Phase I.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:23 PM

10,052 posts, read 6,353,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I think people in full shutdown areas, like the liberal NoVa area, are ignoring it. I just had to run an errand - listed under Northam’s edict as a qualifying “essential trip” - and the roads were packed. I think people have just had enough and are going out, visiting friends, whatever.

It’s also possible that these people were driving back from other parts of Virginia, which are now in Phase I.
NOVA on a Friday afternoon? The roads are always packed unless there's a blizzard or a hurricane in progress. BTW, VA still had a large number of places that people could go to under the "full" shutdown mode, as listed in EO-53, paragraph 5.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:37 PM

19,394 posts, read 6,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
NOVA on a Friday afternoon? The roads are always packed unless there's a blizzard or a hurricane in progress. BTW, VA still had a large number of places that people could go to under the "full" shutdown mode, as listed in EO-53, paragraph 5.
NOVA on a Friday afternoon USED to be packed, pre-virus. Up until two weeks ago, the roads were very empty. The point is, people are rebelling - there was a big protest in Loudoun today - and cops are not enforcing Northam’s essential travel nonsense.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:35 PM

10,052 posts, read 6,353,908 times
Quote:
NOVA on a Friday afternoon USED to be packed, pre-virus. Up until two weeks ago, the roads were very empty. The point is, people are rebelling - there was a big protest in Loudoun today - and cops are not enforcing Northam’s essential travel nonsense.
The cops never enforced it around here previously. How would they anyway, with so many exemptions as to where people can go? It would be impossible to track peoples' travel to various destinations if they were visiting several places in a single trip. It's also quite easy to make multiple trips in a single day.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:39 PM

20,957 posts, read 5,523,701 times
Quote:

Tons of traffic in my little town in Western WA. It's good to see.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:52 PM

42,307 posts, read 17,654,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm particularly surprised that the Yellow Vests of France haven't been protesting! Or protests by the Chileans, but then, they're probably too pooped out from the widescale rioting they did 6 months ago!

And yes, where are the protesters?

In Thailand, right after they ordered the Lockdown, 40 people committed suicide.

So perhaps that helps explain it, suicides over protesting, and isn't suicide a form of protest?
If they weren't afraid if catching the virus they might protest

Old 05-15-2020, 05:55 PM

42,307 posts, read 17,654,946 times
During the 1918 pandemic Philly said "to heck with the virus" and had a huge parade.
At the same time Seattle went into defensive mode with masks, social distancing, stay at home and closed schools and businesses.

Philly went on to have the highest amount of infections and mortality (just like NYC).
Seattle had the lowest rate of infections and mortality.

They say history repeats itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...oronavirus-now
There was certainly opposition to the kinds of restrictions Americans faced during the 1918 pandemic. Church leaders routinely protested that, in the midst of a pandemic, their congregants’ needs were best met by access to religious gatherings. Business owners fought hard to stay open. Theatre owners pursued legal challenges, while opposition was voiced to school closures. In San Francisco, an “Anti-Mask League” organised against face-coverings.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:02 PM

493 posts, read 512,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
What would you like to do that you are not doing right now?
I had to cancel two vacations: one to Hawaii and one to Europe.
I lost my job; I am now an "essential worker" working back at minimum wage hell.
I would like to eat out at a restaurant.
I would like to go out shopping.
I would like to visit cultural institutions.
I would like to go to the beach.
I would like a haircut, I now haven't had one in three months.
I want to see my extended family and my friends again, sit right across from them, and give them hugs.
I want to travel again without being shamed and without silly quarantines.
I want to LIVE again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No dining in
No going to malls
No going to movie theaters
No going to public libraries
No getting haircuts
No flying to international destinations where I want to go.

So, a good deal of normal life is on hold.
Exactly; normal life is on hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I am even MORE heartbroken, annoyed, and angry because a lot of this was caused by misinformation, guessing (models) and they keep moving the goalposts farther and farther. Which is causing us to lose our freedom. AND that people are scared unnecessarily because of the climate of fear mongering that they have been foisted upon people so that they are scared to go out to the stores and restaurants when it re-opens. And what most is heartbreaking are the businesses that are going out of business because they will not be able to reopen due to various reasons - either the new way of doing things wont work because they are a very small store/restaurant, and/or they lost everything they put into it and/or they cannot afford to pay rent even pro-rated rent, for the months their business was closed.
Exactly. It's sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
What exactly do you want? To attend a movie or rock concert? To get on a plane?
You are more than able to go to work in a meat plant, Walmart or the drive-thru if you so desire. School administrators are still trying to figure out the next school year.
Most of us aren’t so eager to be in close contact with each other yet. I am not a fascist. Just careful. I am not standing in the way of your life; just protecting mine.
See my first response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Selfish, simple-minded people who think everything is all about themselves without any regard to the community are being the biggest babies in the country right now. Heaven forbid people use this time to learn something, catch up on a list of books, save money for a rainy day, etc.
Already did that. I want my normal life back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Imagine there was no stay at home orders, and the virus ran unchecked. I'm sure all the businesses you mentioned would be thriving right now.
That's because of society becoming pussified, living in fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Here's what you are really trying to say:

Selfish, simple-minded people who think everything is all about themselves without any regard to MY PERSONAL DESIRES AND FEARS are being the biggest babies in the country right now.
why are your personal desires and fears more important than mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I love how the OP says their heart hurts for those who lost their jobs.....but apparently doesnt care about those who died.
Those people who lost their jobs lost them through no fault of their own. Those people who died would have died sooner than later from old age or poor health anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Where do you live Dude?
California.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:57 PM

13,589 posts, read 9,622,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
What would you like to do that you are not doing right now?
I'd like to go to the gym. Or at the very least, to be able to use the chin-up bar at the local park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Health concerns will ultimately trump economic concerns.
A grave (pun intended) mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I love how the OP says their heart hurts for those who lost their jobs.....but apparently doesnt care about those who died.
The dead are cured of their suffering. The unemployed remain saddled with somehow figuring out how to live. Now tell me again, which is the worse predicament?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies