Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 11:39 PM

493 posts, read 514,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I symphothize with that. I moved from Chicago back to my home city of Los Angeles just before the 2k8 recession. That sucked. I was a dental assistant, and then ended up working at Home Depot for a minute because nobody was hiring. My real dream was to work in animation. I started going to school and eventually a professor helped me out and I got a job at a studio. It's more technical(working on cars), but I'm in so much of a better spot career wise than I was before. But that time working back in retail, it sucked. And I did try to get a dental assistant job but there were more requirements in California. The job I had was in a military base and I just did red cross training since someone I knew in the military hooked me up. So going back to a minimum wage job was absolutely DEMORALIZING. SO I feel you man... That's why we need a better system to help people when something happens. This country has no safety net and people are set to fall through the cracks.
All those are luxuries. And again, I know. I met a girl not too long ago, and we'd talk. She was a bar tender. We finally gone out for the first time, the weekend before lockdown. Since then
I could not see her and I lost contact with her. I think about her alot. It effin' blows.
As for the bar scene, the restaurant scene. Getting Ramen with this girl I liked. My hair is scruffy af rn. I think I'm gonna be back at work looking like I scalped Keanu Reeves and wore his hair lol. I wanna go back to the gym, I wanna see my parents. Regarding parents, obviously that isn't a luxury. But they understand too. But as for bars, eating out, and parties. We all know why we cannot do that. The high chance that we can come home and infect our families, that's why it is not a good idea if you understand how viruses work. Nobody wants this, but also nobody wants to risk killing their grandparents.
i'm so sorry dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 11:39 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,110,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
it may be "perverted" but it's true.
Anyone stating that probably doesn't have any family or friend that they care about.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:54 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Depending upon extent and duration, it absolutely can be. In fact, it can lead to anything from widespread domestic deaths to a global armed conflict.
Domestic deaths? You mean killing your family? Anyone who does that has a much bigger problem beyond unemployment. Isn't the issue deaths from the global pandemic?

Old 05-17-2020, 12:03 AM

3,315 posts, read 2,131,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Domestic deaths? You mean killing your family? Anyone who does that has a much bigger problem beyond unemployment. Isn't the issue deaths from the global pandemic?

Probably poor word choice on my part.

What I meant was that there's a difference between:
  • Folks who die [from] COVID-19.
  • Folks who die [with] COVID-19.
  • Folk who die as a result of indirect circumstances brought about by various reactions to dealing with the pandemic (ex: suicide, overdose, domestic violence, robbery, mass violence, lack of seeking medical care for various health-related concerns, war).
The third bullet above, under certain circumstances, can yield death tolls that far exceed potential deaths due exclusively to (or with) the virus.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:08 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Threads like this make me glad that the USA is a plutocracy and not a democracy. I’m glad that smart people like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, and others are running the country for their own personal benefit. It’s far better than the alternative (democracy by idiots).

Yeah, a democracy by an educated populace would be preferable to a plutocracy, but we don’t have an educated populace.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:43 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,925,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
What constitutes "reasonably safe" and when can we expect that to happen?
The criteria for reopening were given by the White House:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

That's what I would define as reasonably safe. It includes things like a 14-day downward trajectory in number of cases, and robust testing programs in place.

When it will happen varies from state to state. Unfortunately a lot of states are opening up even though they have not met the above criteria.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:59 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

That's what I would define as reasonably safe. It includes things like a 14-day downward trajectory in number of cases, and robust testing programs in place.

When it will happen varies from state to state. Unfortunately a lot of states are opening up even though they have not met the above criteria.
They are RECOMMENDATIONS, not MANDATES.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

Yep. And we are seeing cases rose in a number of these re-opening states.

Last edited by mkpunk; 05-17-2020 at 10:01 AM..

Old 05-17-2020, 09:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Are you actually saying that unemployment is worse than death? Must be a pretty small life.

Because Harpaint, like all good sheep, knows that exposure=infection=death.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:02 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yep. And we are seeing cases rose in a number of these eye-opening states.
Yes.....because the number of tests are increasing. More testing = more cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies