Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 03:42 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
here's a 4th article you may want to include.....BTW, this article was written in 2017, long before Biden expressed any interest in running for President.

https://newspunch.com/joe-biden-secr...vice-predator/
NewsPunch - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › NewsPunch
NewsPunch is a Los Angeles-based fake news website known for spreading conspiracy theories, political misinformation and fake news, mixed in with real news stories.[1] Originally named Your News Wire,[4][10][11] it was founded in 2014 by Sean Adl-Tabatabai and Sinclair Treadway.[2][5][12] In November 2018, it rebranded itself as NewsPunch, and began redirecting yournewswire.com traffic to newspunch.com.[10]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Tara Reade's story changes on a daily basis and the details of her claim simply make no sense at all. She is not a credible accuser. And yes, I listened to her story, and gave her the benefit of the doubt. But believe women doesn't mean suspending all investigation at all, it means start of with a presumption that they are telling the truth. In her case, that presumption has been rebutted by the inconsistency of her claims. That she filed a police complaint is meaningless - it was decades after the event, just in conjunction with all of the current publicity she is courting and the police have already closed it. It doesn't prove any of her allegations in any way.
I agree!

Old 05-16-2020, 03:50 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
She seems to skip out paying for rent too.
Absolutely! That makes it okay that she was sexually assaulted!

Am I doing this right?

Old 05-16-2020, 04:10 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree with you. I think he doesn't remember either. He doesn't remember a lot of things. I'm inclined to believe her for many reasons. I'm an assault survivor, but that's not the reason. Women make it up. It's rare, but they do. As with Blasey-Ford, there is no evidence she was being bought off, and I don't see anyone making voluntarily subjecting themselves to such harsh public criticism. Memory is not like a video camera. Given the fallibility of our long term memory, offering conflicting statements does not necessarily mean it's a lie, nor does failing to remember certain circumstances of an assault.

As a person with years of postgraduate education in psychology, I've studied how human memory works, the different memory processes, and what physically occurs to people with different conditions that cause cognitive dementia. Memory is heavily influenced by our perceptions and experiences. It fades with time. Whether she made it up or not, voters may be affected by whether they think she is telling the truth. I don't think it would make much difference. People for whom this issue is a dealbreaker would have made up their minds not to vote for him already. It's that he actually gave this advice that's so weird. Personally I believe it's a sign that he has dementia. Of course I'm not there to diagnose him, but people with dementia often say things a normal individual would never say out loud.
Just addressing the point in bold. The numbers tend to vary pretty massively from place to place, but the breakdown looks something like this:
  • Between 3% and 15% of all rape allegations lead to arrest, trial and conviction and imprisonment of the perpetrator.
  • Between 3% and 15% of all rape allegations are eventually proven to be false.The alleged victim is lying or misremembering things for whatever reason.
  • This leaves anywhere from 70% to 94% of cases where we have absolutely no idea whether or not it's true.

There are a lot of women out there who will use false rape accusations as a cudgel to punish somebody -- usually men -- they're mad at. There are also a lot of women out there who have been raped and never tell a soul for years and years. There are a lot more male victims than people realize. Thanks to our prison system, more men are raped every year than women. Young boys are often victims and grown men are certainly not immune. Boys and girls who were victims tend to repress memory of the things that happened to them. Crimes of a sexual nature are a messy, messy thing, and there's a whole lot of uncertainty across the board.

The idea that we should automatically believe anyone was always idiotic. My only point to people who were enthusiastic supporters of #metoo and #timesup and the like is that they be consistent. If you actually believed that the mere allegation of sexual assault was enough to ever make any person unfit for public office, then you have no business voting for Joe Biden.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:17 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Biden would have been much happier being a priest.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Absolutely! That makes it okay that she was sexually assaulted!

Am I doing this right?
We don't know that because she changes her story. Look at all the women that said Trump did it.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:45 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Biden told us today that 85,000 people have lost their jobs due to corona. He should do some standup when he loses his Presidential bid for a 3rd time.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:47 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
We don't know that because she changes her story. Look at all the women that said Trump did it.
72 so far claim Biden was inappropriate.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:47 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
I personally believe the sexual harassment claims are legit, and also they had some moment alone which could be in the gray zone of consensual or not. We men know we often make the first moves, and we rely on women to go along with it. But sometimes women go along with it out of intimidation and don't really properly express themselves.

But what I believe is not important.

I won't be voting for Biden but its unrelated to if Tara's accusations are true or not. I personally don't care about it. Even if her story is true 100%, it sounds like an innocent mistake and not something done with predatory intention. So I don't care.

I think Biden's response here is perfect. If I were in his shoes I'd make the same thing. What's he supposed to do it? He denied it. No need to humiliate himself anymore. What's she accusing him is not really a big deal if you take the entire context of her story.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:59 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Biden told us today that 85,000 people have lost their jobs due to corona. He should do some standup when he loses his Presidential bid for a 3rd time.
oh please, it was clear in context that he said jobs when he meant lives. If you think misstating things should be career ending, then Trump should have been out of office before he ever was inaugurated. That's not even a specific dig at him, it's just that it's a fact that all humans misspeak. Thinking it only matters that it's Biden is just lazy bias on your part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies