Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 07:37 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Why does anyone think that the USA is somehow unique, that we would always be the great nation we once were 50 years ago? Times change, history moves on, we had our day in the sun. We decided more or less as a society to take the downward path, none of us can abdicate our responsibility for our decline.
Yet, before this pandemic, the US was still very much the most economically powerful nation on the planet.

The world has seen the most prosperous and peaceful 80 year period in its history and it is mostly due to the existence of the big dumb benevolent superpower that I assume you are residing in. So yes, the USA is most certainly a unique nation and it has been since its inception. The only ones who disagree with this are either leftists or morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 07:50 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
The “world” will always find something wrong. You can't please everybody. There is zero point in even bothering trying on our part. Does France, China, Russia, other members of Europe care what we think of them? Of course not.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:50 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
What do we need to do so that “the world” looks favorably towards us? When they say “jump” do we not jump high enough? Are we too slow when massah say “jump”? F them. I could care less what they think or having to cater to their GD whimsey. They don't like it then what are they going to do about it?
Unfortunately the isolationist theory doesn't work in this day and age. People want to be able to buy the cheapest products but want to bash the countries that make them and export them to us. That doesn't work. People want to be able to say F*** you to other countries if they criticize us but still want to make sure their help will be there if we're attacked. That doesn't work either.

Frankly, we've had our day laughing at and criticizing some other countries for their strange and backward-looking political policies (and even interfering militarily when we felt like it); now it's their turn to do the same with our strange and backward-looking policies.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:02 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Unfortunately the isolationist theory doesn't work in this day and age. People want to be able to buy the cheapest products but want to bash the countries that make them and export them to us. That doesn't work. People want to be able to say F*** you to other countries if they criticize us but still want to make sure their help will be there if we're attacked. That doesn't work either.

Frankly, we've had our day laughing at and criticizing some other countries for their strange and backward-looking political policies (and even interfering militarily when we felt like it); now it's their turn to do the same with our strange and backward-looking policies.
Yet the only one to mention “isolation” was you. Of course isolationism is impossible, not sure why you even mentioned it. I/we can still say F them and laugh at them just as they continue doing so at us. You should be just as concerned if not more so about the well being of our country as you are with theirs.

Only difference is they could care less while limp wristed pansies here fret and worry about pleasing everybody. You can't please everybody.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:07 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
France has nearly twice as many COVID-19 deaths per capita than the US despite identifying nearly half as many cases per capita.....I don't think they have anything to laugh about, and if they are, it sounds like your friends aren't very bright.
France is also more densely populated than the US and much closer to Italy, the original COVID epicenter in the Western world. Also, they have had a coordinated and very well-managed national response that involved a strict lockdown (stricter than anything in the US), government supporting those who were out of work to minimize economic damage, interregional cooperation in regards to virus-fighting resources. Their “déconfinement” is also highly structured and is already succeeding. Mark my words within a month or so, things will be much better there and in the rest of Europe while we will be fighting our way through a second wave.

Please note: I am not saying France’s response was perfect. There were a lot of issues with undercounting deaths in retirement homes for instance. But on the whole what I’ve seen is a responsible, well-planned response.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:13 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
France is also more densely populated than the US and much closer to Italy, the original COVID epicenter in the Western world. Also, they have had a coordinated and very well-managed national response that involved a strict lockdown (stricter than anything in the US), government supporting those who were out of work to minimize economic damage, interregional cooperation in regards to virus-fighting resources. Their “déconfinement” is also highly structured and is already succeeding. Mark my words within a month or so, things will be much better there and in the rest of Europe while we will be fighting our way through a second wave.

Please note: I am not saying France’s response was perfect. There were a lot of issues with undercounting deaths in retirement homes for instance. But on the whole what I’ve seen is a responsible, well-planned response.

Now it is confirmed.......It was .50 cents worth of something else. A veiled attempt to shift blame away from the CCP.

CN

Old 05-15-2020, 08:14 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
France has nearly twice as many COVID-19 deaths per capita than the US despite identifying nearly half as many cases per capita.....I don't think they have anything to laugh about, and if they are, it sounds like your friends aren't very bright.
I take it you are proud that out of about 200 countries, America is #12 in MOST deaths per 1M population? American Exceptionalism! Go us!

France's population density is also 4x greater than ours. If social distancing has any role to play, it is simply harder to do it there.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:14 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:

Most of the US’s cases have been in the Northeast US urban corridor, overall a far more densely populated area than France. In addition, the US saw almost 800 thousand arrivals from China in the December to February timeframe. Far exceeding that of any other nation.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:19 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:

My Francophile friend, those excuses don't explain why they have more deaths per capita despite fewer confirmed cases per capita. It would suggest that their response was significantly less effective than that of the US.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:21 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
The last thing I care about is the sensitivities of a collection of Leftists and Europhiles; Europe has a long history of oppression and blood-lust, and most of our ancestors came here to get away from it; enough said?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-15-2020 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies