Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 06:09 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,394,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Some friend. She cornered you rhetorically and laughed in your face. And you call an a-hole like that a friend?
Well, truth be told, I was laughing right along with her, because Trump is a friggin’ idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 06:25 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,856,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
The World Looks on in Horror

Wow! We’re really winning now. I spoke with one of my French friends last week. Let’s just say that having our dear leader ask if medical researchers are looking into injecting our bodies with disinfectant did NOT enhance our national standing. She literally laughed herself to tears during our Skype chat. So proud to be an American. NOT!
You spoke to your French friends? Well there you have it folks proof positive that the world looks at us with not only pity but horror and contempt.

1. Many French look at everyone except the French with contempt.

2. You need to travel more. It isn't only Trump causing pause for thought. It is the 2 parties sand bagging the nation and holding us hostage that have the word staring at us in confusion. They felt that way before Trump was made President. The left loves to brag about the ACA? Yeah well the countries that have functional single payer systems are confused by how anyone can look at the ACA and call that a step in the right direction.

Trump is an idiot, no more so than a Speaker saying "you have to Vote for it to see what's in it." Or a VP saying "just shoot your gun in the air." Or any of the many other asinine statements made by Biden.

I live abroad. I watch the news every morning and every evening. Your friends are entitled to their opinions just like mine are. That doesn't make their opinions fact.

Do you know what twists the world in regard to the USA? The fact that we spend nearly 700 billion a year on our military and have 600,000 homeless and feel that we have a right to attack anyone who disagrees with us. Trumps views on medicine are the least of their concerns.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:20 PM

Gee, did anyone actually read the article I linked in the OP? The article discusses very negative reactions (the above-mentioned pity, horror, etc.) from Germany, France, Italy, Britain, Canada, Romania, Bosnia, Nigeria, China, Brazil, Spain and others. For the love of God, it is not just about the French. That was my personal example, because I don’t happen to have a good friend in every single country where Trump’s handling of the coronavirus is seen as a chaotic disaster and/or pitiful joke.

Here’s just one of many choice quotes: “Post-truth communication techniques used by rightwing populism movements simply do not work to beat Covid-19 .... And we see that populism costs lives.” (from a former prime minister of Romania).

After the White House ordered a halt to shipments of critical N95 protective masks to Canadian hospitals, the Ontario premier, who formerly had “spoken out in support of Trump ... said the decision was like letting a family member ‘starve’ during a crisis.”

From an editorial in a Brazilian paper: “Even by the standards of his behavior, the level of impudence is astonishing for the holder of an office that, until just a few years ago was considered a reference in leadership for the democratic world.

The Chinese are happy about it though. “There is a palpable sense of relief among Chinese state commentators that the US president’s antics have diverted some of the anger that would have otherwise have been aimed at Beijing.”

I thought Trump wanted to heap all the blame on China (and to be fair China does deserve a lot of blame) , but his “antics” are actually making it easier for China!!!

OMG, his administration is such a dumpster fire.

Oh yeah, and “antics?” That’s usually a word associated with one’s pet monkey, not the president of the United State.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:39 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,092,479 times
Quote:
Gee, did anyone actually read the article I linked in the OP? The article discusses very negative reactions (the above-mentioned pity, horror, etc.) from Germany, France, Italy, Britain, Canada, Romania, Bosnia, Nigeria, China, Brazil, Spain and others. For the love of God, it is not just about the French. That was my personal example, because I don’t happen to have a good friend in every single country where Trump’s handling of the coronavirus is seen as a chaotic disaster and/or pitiful joke.

Here’s just one of many choice quotes: “Post-truth communication techniques used by rightwing populism movements simply do not work to beat Covid-19 .... And we see that populism costs lives.” (from a former prime minister of Romania).

After the White House ordered a halt to shipments of critical N95 protective masks to Canadian hospitals, the Ontario premier, who formerly had “spoken out in support of Trump ... said the decision was like letting a family member ‘starve’ during a crisis.”

From an editorial in a Brazilian paper: “Even by the standards of his behavior, the level of impudence is astonishing for the holder of an office that, until just a few years ago was considered a reference in leadership for the democratic world.

The Chinese are happy about it though. “There is a palpable sense of relief among Chinese state commentators that the US president’s antics have diverted some of the anger that would have otherwise have been aimed at Beijing.”

I thought Trump wanted to heap all the blame on China (and to be fair China does deserve a lot of blame) , but his “antics” are actually making it easier for China!!!

Oh yeah, and “antics?” That’s usually a word associated with one’s pet monkey, not the president of the United State.
In case you missed it, you are trying to convince people who voted for a candidate, based in part on the fact that he pledged to stop other countries from taking advantage of the US, that they ought to be outraged at the man because other countries don’t like or respect him. The only thing you are doing, as far as they are concerned is giving them proof that he is doing what he promised them he would.

I didn’t vote for Trump, but I really and truly don’t care what they think of my president. I generally think most of their leaders are waste products and can’t fathom why they elected them, seems only reasonable they feel the same way about mine.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:49 PM

30,119 posts, read 18,935,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In case you missed it, you are trying to convince people who voted for a candidate, based in part on the fact that he pledged to stop other countries from taking advantage of the US, that they ought to be outraged at the man because other countries don’t like or respect him. The only thing you are doing, as far as they are concerned is giving them proof that he is doing what he promised them he would.

I didn’t vote for Trump, but I really and truly don’t care what they think of my president. I generally think most of their leaders are waste products and can’t fathom why they elected them, seems only reasonable they feel the same way about mine.
Not surprised that you didn't vote for Trump.

The French have done awesome, only about twice as many dead per capita as our terrible leader.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:56 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,578,521 times
Quote:
Gee, did anyone actually read the article I linked in the OP? The article discusses very negative reactions (the above-mentioned pity, horror, etc.) from Germany, France, Italy, Britain, Canada, Romania, Bosnia, Nigeria, China, Brazil, Spain and others. For the love of God, it is not just about the French. That was my personal example, because I don’t happen to have a good friend in every single country where Trump’s handling of the coronavirus is seen as a chaotic distasteful and/or pitiful joke.

All this finger pointing and yowling indignation from the radicalized Democratic party over pandemic response is no more than that bunch of yammering monkeys capitalizing on a crisis to gain political ground.

Come on. Seriously? It wouldn't have mattered if Trump had mobilized every branch of the military including the Space Force, added10000 people to the CDC, created a whole army of medical professionals and erected 50 massive hospitals in every state overnight.

The Dems would still say he bungled it. Sheesh , when he tried to stop travel from China they howled racism. When he halted immigration they howled xenophobia. If Trump does anything it's wrong.

And we should all buy off on the leftist Dem narrative that they could have done everything better BUT TRUMP. The Dems move en masse to shut down and/or hinder to the point of no gain anything and everything the man does. Talk to Pelosi and Schumer and the ever present "Squad" about that.

The Radicalized Democratic party in DC has spent the last three years concentrating on NOTHING but trying to stop the president from doing anything and doing all they can to remove him from office so they dont have to face him I. Another election. They want POWER. That is ALL they want.

They dont care a Whit how many people die of covid. The more the better. So they can blame it on Trump and grab power.

As for the rest. What the WORLD thinks matters no more than what the French think singularly. Not a fart in a high wind. I was wary of Trump. I didnt vote for him or HRC. But he has won me over. I'm not a Republican, but I'll vote for him.

I hope that the House and Senate see Dems sent packing en masse. Like the mid terms in Clinton's first term. Whether its Republicans, Independents or Libertarians even that take their seats we'll be better off by far. Send that pack of howling baboons somewhere we cant hear them.

Then we can see some things get done. When all these cou tries that hold such contempt for us see all the cash in aid we send them vanish, was bring our military home and let their civil wars play out to the end, let the thugs in chopped up toyotas chop off hands feet and heads then we'll see how much they hate us and hold us in contempt.

When we start REALLY doing what Trump wants and put AMERICA first. Take care of our own. The Hell with the world, and globalism and especially the UN and Europe.

Let them pay for their own "projects" ,support NATO and use their own troops as Peacekeepers in third world armpits in Africa and the ME.

More Trump bashing is falling g on more and more deaf ears methinks.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Wow. Nice world view. Inspiring.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:54 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,629,494 times
Quote:
No, we don’t have to do whatever the world says. Who even said that? Talk about a false binary.

Look: A mature individual knows who they are. They know their values and what they will put up with and what they won’t. At the same time this mature individual cares about what others think. They know they do not live in complete isolation and that who they are is inevitably worked out in relation to others. They don’t care about what every single person thinks. But they certainly listen to some.

Same goes for countries: The well-governed, “mature” country has its own identity. It has its traditions, values, history, political structure. At the same time it exists as one among other nations and does indeed care what other nations “think”. As for the mature person, not all foreign opinions count equally. Why should we care about what Zimbabwe thinks of us? They are neither ally, nor enemy, nor shining model of good governance. But we should indeed care about what other democracies and particularly our allies think of us.
Perhaps they should just appreciate us as we are just as they expect and/or demand that we acquiesce to their unending fastidious appraisal. We are never going to please everybody. There will always be something wrong, a failing, shortcoming, etc. They laugh and find fault with us too bad. Why are we not permitted to laugh, ridicule, find fault, criticize these bastions of perfection who in your mind seem to be doing everything right while at the same time complaining and criticizing anything we ever do in a never ending attempt to please them? Let them tone it down and kiss our backside for a change. They need us more than we need them and at times they need to be reminded of this reality, some more painfully “reminded” than others.

Why do you let this even bother or trouble you so? These hard to please countries will never be satisfied no matter what we do or how much we give. F them! They don’t like it tough cookies, go trade somewhere else.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:08 PM

20,112 posts, read 16,092,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Not surprised that you didn't vote for Trump.

The French have done awesome, only about twice as many dead per capita as our terrible leader.
I literally cried when he won the Republican primary in 2016 and I have spent the past three years hoping and praying that we would have better options in 2020 - it certainly never dawned on me that in 2020 Trump would be the most coherent of any pair of candidates, and yet, here we are. However, I don’t give a crap what other countries think of my current president, just like I didn’t care what they thought of Obama, either Bush, Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, Ford, Johnson, Kennedy, or Eisenhower.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:30 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,094,900 times
It was horror when you elected the Moron In Chief.

It will be contempt if you reelect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies