Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 06:09 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times

Advertisements

Why aren't we seeing mass casualties at Harris Teeters, Walmarts, and Lowe's? Those chains have been open and packed full of bored shoppers since day one of this "pandemic". Did those stores somehow figure out how to instantly kill all pandemic startin viruses at thier front doors?

Or perhaps it's just a bad strain of the flu for old folks and the rest of us really don't have much to worry about?

Anyways, I'm off to get me a Nothingburger with a side of fries today.

We the people really need to demand that our media be non-biased, impartial, and without corruption. We the people need our media to not have agendas, sell out to political parties based on how much revenue that party can generate for that media group, and we need to hold them accountable for lying to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 06:20 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
It is possible to be safe while out and about shopping and playing. Number one, keep your distance, wear a mask and don't touch your face until you can slather your hands with sanitizer or better yet wash them.

Still I am not too keen on going out to eat or getting take out. I have had one cup of coffee out since this whole mess started.

It was ironic this morning. I'm listening to the radio and someone called in about their die hard Dem sister that is growing tired of the lock down. She said that if Hillary was President we would be over the crisis by now, not because Hillary would have had a cure or handled the start of the pandemic better than Trump did but because the media wouldn't have dragged on with the negative doom and gloom reporting on the virus.

Imagine that, a hard core Democrat admitting that the media is part of the problem...

Old 05-11-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is possible to be safe while out and about shopping and playing. Number one, keep your distance, wear a mask and don't touch your face until you can slather your hands with sanitizer or better yet wash them.

Still I am not too keen on going out to eat or getting take out. I have had one cup of coffee out since this whole mess started.

It was ironic this morning. I'm listening to the radio and someone called in about their die hard Dem sister that is growing tired of the lock down. She said that if Hillary was President we would be over the crisis by now, not because Hillary would have had a cure or handled the start of the pandemic better than Trump did but because the media wouldn't have dragged on with the negative doom and gloom reporting on the virus.

Imagine that, a hard core Democrat admitting that the media is part of the problem...
I've stopped by and supported my local coffee shop almost daily since this started. Here in SC nobody is really all that diligent about wearing masks, although you do see them more often since this whole thing started. In Charleston County, where I live, which includes the metros of Charleston, North Charleston, Mount Pleasant etc. Population of approx 300k, we've had 8 deaths and like 700 cases so far. There's been far more fatalities due to cardiac arrest, car crashes, gang shootings, drownings and suicides than the 8 that have passed due to Corona.

I know in other areas, where public transportation is rampant, and people live in stacked housing, have had more of an issue with this virus, but it really hasn't affected anyone I know. I know of one family who had several members test positive, the worst of them getting a fever and laying low for a few days, but there's absolutely no reason why Charlestonians are sitting at home with all public schools, beaches, and businesses closed.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:32 AM

654 posts, read 364,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Why aren't we seeing mass casualties at Harris Teeters, Walmarts, and Lowe's? Those chains have been open and packed full of bored shoppers since day one of this "pandemic". Did those stores somehow figure out how to instantly kill all pandemic startin viruses at thier front doors?

Or perhaps it's just a bad strain of the flu for old folks and the rest of us really don't have much to worry about?

We the people really need to demand that our media be non-biased, impartial, and without corruption. We the people need our media to not have agendas, sell out to political parties based on how much revenue that party can generate for that media group, and we need to hold them accountable for lying to us.
There have been outbreaks at Walmarts. We don’t yet know how many people have caught Covid-19 at those stores, but the number is certainly higher than if there were strict social distancing.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
There have been outbreaks at Walmarts. We don’t yet know how many people have caught Covid-19 at those stores, but the number is certainly higher than if there were strict social distancing.
Where's the proof?

Old 05-11-2020, 06:37 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
I also live around the similar area as the OP. Much of last week was like business as usual. Maybe we dodged the worst because schools were closed in mid-March before the virus was prevalent here. I suppose we shall see in the coming months. I'm curious to see what happens when (if?) schools reopen in August.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I also live around the similar area as the OP. Much of last week was like business as usual. Maybe we dodged the worst because schools were closed in mid-March before the virus was prevalent here. I suppose we shall see in the coming months. I'm curious to see what happens when (if?) schools reopen in August.
My guess is basically the same thing that's going on now, not much.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:47 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,880,794 times
I suspect I'm going to repeat this post for all big cities in 50 states. Be realistic in your expectations. What did you think would happen? Not based on the media - but on your own calculations, trusting a little bit that it probably is spread like the flu, kills more than the flu, and no one is immune? Just guess...

(While you're thinking about that - whether or not Home Depot was busy - ya know what wasn't busy? Schools. Colleges. Sports, Arenas, Concerts, Churches, Parks, Parades, NASCAR and - well - stuff that basically has folks outnumbering home depot about 1000 to 1. So first - accept that - no matter what a few retail stores look like - the great bulk of contagious opportunity was eliminated for you.)

Ok - what could happen? 5 million people in SC - half get sick, 1% might die - that's 25,000 - that's quite a few, no? You can fudge this around, doesn't matter - 25K, 50K, 10K - whatever, all bad, didn't happen. It means that half the people did not get sick. How many DID get sick? If you believe in a super-low death rate (0.1%) - you have 300 dead - it means 300 THOUSAND are sick right now, or immune. May not seem like much - but that's more than 10% of the "half" we were trying to avoid.
With ALL THE ACTION we took - SC might have 300K sick. Is it such a crazy stretch to believe that with 90% of people home - 90% of the spread was stopped? You can fudge that around a bit too - but it just figures into your "realistic expectations." Don't think too hard on it - it barely matters because...

You have about 12,000 hospital beds in SC total. About half are already full of the "regular" sick - so you have 6000. While only a small percent die of COVID, a much larger percent, maybe 10 or 20%, will be hospitalized. 6000 is 10% of 60,000.

And I just said - you have 300K sick. Or 100K - doesn't change anything. The point is - it would have taken barely a blip in this system to sink ALL your hospitals. All you needed was 60K sick the same week - and the next gunshot wound will sleep in the street.

60K - that's just more than 1%. Yep. That's right. If only ONE PERCENT of SC got sick ON THE SAME DAY - you would be out of hospital beds. NY proved it was possible for the infection to travel that fast, given a chance. Any big gatherings planned down there in March? Say, college basketball perhaps? Any place where 60 thousand people could gather at once, all touching and breathing, and screaming, 12 inches apart?

Think realistically folks. 1% infections would have SANK SC - 20% or 40% or 80% was not necessary. The strategy was to eliminate 99% of it - any less was a failure. Check the math yourself, I have data on my side.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:01 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
I've stopped by and supported my local coffee shop almost daily since this started. Here in SC nobody is really all that diligent about wearing masks, although you do see them more often since this whole thing started. In Charleston County, where I live, which includes the metros of Charleston, North Charleston, Mount Pleasant etc. Population of approx 300k, we've had 8 deaths and like 700 cases so far. There's been far more fatalities due to cardiac arrest, car crashes, gang shootings, drownings and suicides than the 8 that have passed due to Corona.

I know in other areas, where public transportation is rampant, and people live in stacked housing, have had more of an issue with this virus, but it really hasn't affected anyone I know. I know of one family who had several members test positive, the worst of them getting a fever and laying low for a few days, but there's absolutely no reason why Charlestonians are sitting at home with all public schools, beaches, and businesses closed.
From what I have read the virus does not do as well in warm humid climates vs cooler dryer climates. That is one factor to consider. Eventually, however, you are just asking for it by not taking cautions. Good luck, though.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:02 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:

The election showed us they can never be trusted again. None of them. It's become media click bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies