Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 06:43 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If this Pandemic brought to the front any defects we have at all, right at the forefront is our bad habit of buying everything from other countries. America used to build things right here, and when some crisis, like a war, came about, we were able to gear up and make the tools we needed to fight that war. Now , we can not even make a simple protective mask in the USA any longer.

One major cause of this decline is you and me. We want cheap prices, and yet, we want American workers to make a decent wage, whereas workers overseas will work for peanuts. If we go to the store and see something made in the US for $10, and , right next to it, one made in China selling for $5, 9 times out of 10 we buy the cheaper one. I am as guilty as the rest of you.

So, what is the fix ? Do we wake up and start spending a few bucks more to support American manufacturers, or do we just continue to cheap out and send our money overseas ? I am all for global cooperation and doing business with other countries, but I also want to see us not get into this shortage situation when the next emergency hits......and it will hit for sure.

This would be good, but the manufacturers and dealers will have to take the lead. We can't buy U. S. made goods, if they aren't on sale. Three years ago, I was able to buy an electric pruning saw that was made in Virginia. I was pleased to be able to do that and it was rated the highest by customer reviews. But I haven't found any of the other things I've bought, that were made here.

Some types of goods haven't been made here for so long, I would be doubtful about their quality, if they became available. I may buy a new camera this year. What are the chances there would be one made in the U. S., that would have the features and dependable performance I wanted? I remember a time when a "Made in Japan" label, marked it as a piece of junk. The tables have really been turned, on that one and things have gone full-circle, as many Japanese camera companies are having some of their products made in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 06:53 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
We were driving those crap American cars from the 70's...in the late 90's-2000's...in the upper rust belt.

Don't remember ever seeing their imported counterparts still on the icy salty roads though. Damn those crappy, crappy American cars.

Yup, still drive one of those, from the 90ies - it's so cushionie, comfy and reliable ( including those icy salty roads,) that I don't want to trade it for anything.

We all have our own preferences.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:09 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
And what if there is a similar quality AND similar price option made in Arkansas?
Well in that case, the workers in Arkansas weren't paid a living wage so I can't support that business.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:10 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This would be good, but the manufacturers and dealers will have to take the lead. We can't buy U. S. made goods, if they aren't on sale. Three years ago, I was able to buy an electric pruning saw that was made in Virginia. I was pleased to be able to do that and it was rated the highest by customer reviews. But I haven't found any of the other things I've bought, that were made here.

Some types of goods haven't been made here for so long, I would be doubtful about their quality, if they became available. I may buy a new camera this year. What are the chances there would be one made in the U. S., that would have the features and dependable performance I wanted? I remember a time when a "Made in Japan" label, marked it as a piece of junk. The tables have really been turned, on that one and things have gone full-circle, as many Japanese camera companies are having some of their products made in China.
Google is at your finger tips. If it exists, it should be easy to find. Instead of "I haven't found any of the other things I've bought to be made here". Seek it out.

As far as dealers aka retailers, they would typically prefer NOT to sell US made. Then it highlights how much imported junk they are selling.

Consumer electronics may not come back. We don't need to make everything though.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well in that case, the workers in Arkansas weren't paid a living wage so I can't support that business.
Or you're being gouged hard for the import.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:14 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
And what if there is a similar quality AND similar price option made in Arkansas?
I can make a choice, be a social justice warrior or have an extra $150 to spend on something or somewhere else (that will likely employ "americans")

Its almost as if you are missing point on purpose.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I can make a choice, be a social justice warrior or have an extra $150 to spend on something or somewhere else (that will likely employ "americans")

Its almost as if you are missing point on purpose.
I truly don't care what you buy. At. All.

And if they are similar PRICE, you aren't going to have the $150 extra in your pocket. I know, I know, basic logic is difficult for an extreme internet hardliner tough guy like you.

Last edited by madison999; 05-19-2020 at 07:30 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 07:49 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
I truly don't care what you buy. At. All.

And if they are similar PRICE, you aren't going to have the $150 extra in your pocket. I know, I know, basic logic is difficult for an extreme internet hardliner tough guy like you.
You're right, I misread the post. So a person has a choice. Is that what is really bothering you?

Whats with insult? Out. Of. Bullets?

Old 05-19-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
You're right, I misread the post. So a person has a choice. Is that what is really bothering you?

Whats with insult? Out. Of. Bullets?
Figured you'd take it as a compliment. Too bad American made products bother you that much but oh well.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:28 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
Quote:

Or said another way; if I buy made in a China patio set for $150 vs. the $300 for the one of similiar quality made in Arkansas, I've got $150 leftover to spend on other things
Behind the curtain, the Chinese gov't is using their huge pile of trade surplus money to subsidize that Chinese patio set manufacturer. Unfortunately, I see very few things that are of the "similar quality" you speak of. In most cases, you get what you pay for, Chinese item goes into the garbage a lot sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies