Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 08:03 PM

9,871 posts, read 7,642,001 times

Advertisements

Not gonna lie

Be pretty awesome if we could get one bill that ruled them all with this bill
Government pays up to $30,000 towards an essential workers loans

Legalize marijuana and place an excise tax on recreational marijuana

Create a public option health insurance for those making $50,000 or less and tax individuals UBI at 5%

Implement public option starting next year for everyone that is paid monthly or taxed weekly from UBI or TANF. With 5% tax for those making $50K or less and 10% for those making over $50,000.

Legalize sex work within sanction businesses and decriminalize sex work outside of sanction businesses

Decriminalized substances

Raise max Federal unemployment benefits to $1000

UBI of $1500 a month to all tax payers or individuals with a Social Security Account

Business tax exemption for businesses that apply to make needed supplies

Hazzard bonus till December of $200 for essential workers

Do away with the death penalty and eminent domain

Carbon tax

Variable VAT Tax

Flat income tax of 10% and a flat business tax of 20%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 08:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah because small businesses that can't get PPP loans closed, a number of large companies includ J.C. Penney's is in bankruptcy and we won't see "now hiring". But hey call it waste and unnecessary all you want...
JC Penney, like several other brick & mortar retail chains have been on thin ice for years- nothing to do with the Corona. It closed more than 200 stores over the past 5 years, pre- Corona and will be closing many more as a part of their petition to reorganize under Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

I don’t think (not positive) it qualified for a loan/ loan guarantee under the recent stimulus. Same deal for Macy’s, the GAP, etc. Macy’s announced its intent to close 125 stores earlier this year- pre Corona.

Pier One also entered into Chapter 11 bankruptcy earlier this year- pre Corona. It intends to close 450 stores.

When anchors close there is an immediate impact on the entire mall and retail and dining in the surrounding areas, which impacts local/ county/ state sales tax revenues.

AMC and other movie theatre chains have also been on thin ice as consumer behaviors shift to streaming.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I actually want cannabis to be legal but this isn't the way to do it.

Maybe after all the dust settles the government can figure out it's a billion dollar industry and finally make it legal. We need every penny we can get.
This bill is not proposing legalization. It is seeking to give legitimate marijuana businesses ( mostly small businesses) access to the banking system.

It is a curious thing the Federal Government expects marijuana businesses to pay tax on profits but declines to give those business access to the banking system.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:48 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,806,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: Damn, they caught us trying to jam useless pork into the bill, and now they aren't letting us get away with it. Time to ignore the fact that they said "Congress can do better", and just wail that they're somehow destroying the bill as if our pork hadn't already done that.
Cool but OP your title is titled "far-left wish list"... not a topic about pork.
Nice try to change your view when you just meant to shoot down the whole thing based on who originated the bill (i.e. playing party politics instead of evaluating the meat).

Now could there be improvements made? Of course, that's why we have 2 chambers. But is this a "far left" wish list? Hardly even close, this is a fairly moderate bill contrary to the title of your thread.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,823,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
We're opening back up for business here.

The government can't just print free money forever.
So is Arizona but what's that got to do with the fact that many small businesses that couldn't secure a Payment Protection Plan loan will not reopen? What has "we're opening back up for business here" have to do with the aforementioned J.C. Penney's and Neiman Marcus bankruptcies, Game Stop closing stores after having to shutter as a non-essential business, Modelle's, Beall's and these are just right now? I can tell you, nothing. Who knows how many will stay open once reopened but not seeing foot traffic due to tightened spending...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...19/3090235001/

As for if the government printing free money forever, who the hell said that?

Old 05-17-2020, 01:53 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,823,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
JC Penney, like several other brick & mortar retail chains have been on thin ice for years- nothing to do with the Corona. It closed more than 200 stores over the past 5 years, pre- Corona and will be closing many more as a part of their petition to reorganize under Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

I don’t think (not positive) it qualified for a loan/ loan guarantee under the recent stimulus. Same deal for Macy’s, the GAP, etc. Macy’s announced its intent to close 125 stores earlier this year- pre Corona.

Pier One also entered into Chapter 11 bankruptcy earlier this year- pre Corona. It intends to close 450 stores.

When anchors close there is an immediate impact on the entire mall and retail and dining in the surrounding areas, which impacts local/ county/ state sales tax revenues.

AMC and other movie theatre chains have also been on thin ice as consumer behaviors shift to streaming.
Oh I agree with Penney's, Macy's, Pier One, etc. This wasn't a Covid-19 thing for most. Covid-19 just poured accelerant on the dumpster fire that was J.C. Penney's. Would it go into bankruptcy without, possibly. I think it would shutter stores regardless, but the magnitude is the difference. Most of this is due to customer behavior shifts.

What I do disagree with is the AMC and movie theater chain issue. I love the movies and last year went 40 something times due to AMC Stubs A-List. This year I only have seen about five/six films, due to Covid-19. I have AMC Stubs A-List and generally break even on it. That said, I often go by myself and may or may not get concessions or would take my parents (normally my mom though some I take just my dad.) My parents average about 10 for my mom and maybe 4 for my dad, more than the American average of one or two movies a year. In fact 50% do that...

I do think streaming is a weird bird and despite eCommerce, I think up until Covid-19, it didn't really shift consumer behavior. Why, well most of the 2010s were "the best year in cinema" monetarily. Ticket revenues went up despite fewer people going. It might make the 50% of American movie goers who only see one or two films a year were tempted by streaming to this point, but yet there were a good number who go once every other month and yet also have streaming services or in my case twice a month. Hell, I know people that go weekly if not bi-weekly... It isn't that movie theaters don't have problems like cell phone use, it is that I don't think they are thin ice from streaming. New movies on streaming often aren't as good as those in theaters. I mean I liked The Duff (a fine movie), but I didn't need to see it in theaters, Ford V. Ferrari or Knives Out (two of my favorites from last year) I did though... What makes them on thin ice is that Onward bombed (infact Captain Marvel alone beat the entire two weekend cumulative box office weekends of Onward); lots of blockbusters moved dates due to Covid (Mulan, The New Mutants, No Time to Die, Black Widow, Fast 9, Wonder Woman 84, Jungle Cruise, The Eternals, etc.); and the fact that some movies went VOD rental (I am personally against that since I don't get the theater experience at home and think spending $20 for 48 hour access is a bit steep.)

Maybe I am the crazy one, but movie theaters weren't exactly hurting until Covid-19 from what I knew...

Old 05-17-2020, 02:01 AM

18,461 posts, read 9,108,050 times
Where’s the outrage over corporate welfare?

I don’t understand why some people vehemently oppose help for individuals but don’t mind it when Wall Street and big corporations get bailed out.

Hell, didn’t Trump use populist rhetoric during his campaign?

Old 05-17-2020, 02:06 AM

2,649 posts, read 1,839,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Funny how Republicans think it’s their divine right to expose others to a deadly virus yet people should be locked up for a plant because they don’t like the smell.
Some people have no "taste." I often wonder what DJT, thinks of the "plant?" He claims he does not drink, but that guy seems high on something. He blabbers on and on about subjects that don't even make sense.

He seems to be gaining weight, is it all the late night snacking?

Old 05-17-2020, 02:08 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,857,787 times
As one democrat said, "It is an amazing opportunity to leverage suffering."

A package to pay for not 1 but 2 studies on diversity and inclusion in the cannabus industry.

This is the biggest porkulous package in US history, and that is the best that can be said about i.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:14 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,654,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So is Arizona but what's that got to do with the fact that many small businesses that couldn't secure a Payment Protection Plan loan will not reopen? What has "we're opening back up for business here" have to do with the aforementioned J.C. Penney's and Neiman Marcus bankruptcies, Game Stop closing stores after having to shutter as a non-essential business, Modelle's, Beall's and these are just right now? I can tell you, nothing. Who knows how many will stay open once reopened but not seeing foot traffic due to tightened spending...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...19/3090235001/

As for if the government printing free money forever, who the hell said that?
What do you want me to tell you? It's not my fault they're out of business. We never should have locked down in the first place like we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies