Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 10:15 AM

4,505 posts, read 1,861,709 times

Advertisements

Virtue signaling is more important than health.

Wear the damn mask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 10:18 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Yet you attempt to shame people with a fake story about them. Pot meet kettle.
I literally said “I bet a million bucks” meaning, yes, I’m making it up.

How was that fall when your mom dropped you on your head as a child?

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Cloth masks do not work in preventing virus spread:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

(This study, link above ^ cautions against the use of cloth masks, because they are not effective)
That's your rebuttal? I'm fairly certain most people already know that a cloth mask isn't on par with a medical mask, if not there's not much hope for them. They aren't meant to work on the same level, good grief.

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
He's a medical professional, an MD (and neurosurgeon). Would you rather take your guidance from a medical professional or from some media talking head with a degree in journalism (at best)? Oh wait, you're only willing to listen to sources that share your political leanings, regardless of their professional knowledge. Got it.
Funny, all of the neurosurgeons in my hospital disappeared once the COVID patients started coming. Maybe next week, when we start up regular surgeries, I will see them again, probably with nice tans.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:20 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Whatever.
There is an MD Trump voter right here on this thread who I do respect. I suggest not skipping his posts.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This is what I dont get. Their views are completely conflicting. They want to open up the economy, but they dont want to do things that will help keep it from shutting down again. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I am much more heavily invested in the economy than they are, so I really want to see us up and running for the long term.

Being someone who believes in freedom, I believe that people should not be forced to wear masks. Not by the government, anyway. People who are against the shutdowns should WANT to wear masks on their own accord. More than anyone. If we can open up society without having the disease go wild again, forcing another shut down, why be anti-mask?
Exactly! They are too dumb to understand that it’s going to take the majority of the population feeling comfortable enough to go out in public to bring the economy back, yet the very things they are doing are making people want to stay away. They really couldn’t care less about business owners, they are only concerned about themselves.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:24 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Informed...that is funny.
Yes, the irony is rich.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:26 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This is not a scientific study. It is a biased, and politically motivated article, which is easily determined by not only the language used, but some of the misinformation stated in the article.

Add to that, the people who are “harmed” the most by the masks, the COPD and lung fibrosis patients, are also the quickest to die when they contract COVID-19. Quite the dilemma. Any idiot could tell you that these people should not be wearing masks for more than a short duration of time, unless they are wearing their nasal cannula underneath the mask. In fact, we find that patients using a nasal cannula under a mask have even higher oxygen saturation’s than people who wear the nasal cannula without a mask, because the mask traps the oxygen that the nasal cannula provides, allowing them to breath the oxygen, not only through their nose, but through their mouth as well.

This is an advertisement for a device that adds oxygen to the mask, in effect, doing the same thing as the nasal cannula does for the COPD and pulmonary fibrosis patients when they wear a mask.

This article also completely contradicts, your the next article you posted, where it says....

Your Hanoi study here was funded by the 3M Corporation. The largest producer of medical grade masks. Which might account for all the flaws cited in the study.

But lets pretend for a moment that this conflict doesn’t exist. It does not prove what you claim it proves. It does not prove that “the N95 medical type masks are the only masks that are significantly effective in stopping some virus spread.” It does not prove that “ The cloth masks that much of the public are using are not effective at all.”

If the study is to be believed, and that is a big “IF” considering the flaws of the study, then all it proves is that the cloth masks are not very effective in preventing the wearer from being infected. It does not prove, or even intend to prove, that It is not effective in preventing an infected wearer from transmitting the virus to others. But it should be obvious to anyone with even a modicum of common sense, that sneezing or coughing into the air, will contribute to more exposure than sneezing or coughing into a cloth mask.
^This (in boldface) is worth repeating 1,000 times over.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:26 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They aren't meant to keep you from contracting it, they are meant to keep your droplets from spreading as far in case you sneeze or cough. If you sneeze while standing in the grocery store, it could mean the difference between spraying a few items on the shelf, vs spraying the whole darned shelf.
Yes, a mask is certainly better than nothing for that purpose. However, a mask could be 100% effective but one could still get the virus by contracting it through the eyes. If research determines this is true, you may see people looking further weird by wearing goggles or some other type of eye shield.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:29 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Disinformation/propaganda that works against public safety should be taken down.
....hmmm....I wonder whom Trump will pick to head that department?

See any gaping holes in your plan there, besides being a totalitarian idea from the get go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies