Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 05:04 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times

Advertisements

I mean it's not far fetched. And this election really highlighted the idea.

Whether or not you think Russia influenced the elections. Is it to far fetched to think that social media can be used to coheres people in another country in order to create social collapse?

So lets say Russia didn't care who won. Hillary or Trump. If Hillary won, they still would find a way to put out more conspiracies.

I'm thinking it's still happening now. With the conspiracies about the pandemic. All you need is an army of gullible idiots and the next thing you know, the country your targeting has a major problem with fools torching 5G towers.

Even if you don't believe in "Russian collusion", it's not hard to believe that both sides are being played by a foreign entity to put out false information.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:12 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I don't like how social media moderation now increasingly has a point of view.

Someone has decided which side is right and which is wrong on something like rapidly evolving Corona Virus "Science", and any and all disagreement is silenced and banned. I think social media should get out of the content business and let people see all sides.

You're worried about "The Russians" but having Mark Zuckerburg deciding what is good and what isn't in our own personal communications, isn't better.

Social media is a PLATFORM... a technology, it's not a Channel. It shouldn't be in the content business.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-16-2020 at 05:26 PM..

Old 05-16-2020, 05:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Someone has decided which side is right and which is wrong on something like rapidly evolving Corona Virus "Science", and any and all disagreement is silenced and banned. I think social media should get out of the content business and focus on letting people see all sides.

You're worried about "The Russians" but having Mark Zuckerburg deciding what is good and what isn't in our own personal communications, isn't better.

Social media is a PLATFORM... a technology, it's not a Channel. It shouldn't be in the content business.

Absolutely true.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:30 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:

Someone has decided which side is right and which is wrong on something like rapidly evolving Corona Virus "Science", and any and all disagreement is silenced and banned. I think social media should get out of the content business and let people see all sides.

Bingo. They are now acting like a UTILITY except they are now censoring anything remotely conservative. It is as if AT&T breaks into your phone conversation and tells you not to say this or that, or just cuts you off. Would that have been tolerated?

Old 05-16-2020, 05:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
FB launched in 2004

YouTube launched in 2005.

Twitter launched in 2006

All three platforms matured during Obama‘S two terms and forever changed politic.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:34 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Bingo. They are now acting like a UTILITY except they are now censoring anything remotely conservative. It is as if AT&T breaks into your phone conversation and tells you not to say this or that, or just cuts you off. Would that have been tolerated?

Yes. Very equivalent to a UTILITY. I couldn't rep you again so soon.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:48 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Yes. Very equivalent to a UTILITY. I couldn't rep you again so soon.
Keep going!

I mean making sense!

Old 05-16-2020, 05:51 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I mean it's not far fetched.
Yes, because it has already been occurring for the past 10-15 years. Social media is one of the greatest propaganda dissemination vehicles in history.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:02 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:

BBM~~ Just who is silencing them? The major silencing appears to come from the TOP> Not the Social media platforms!!

Social media's trying to mitigate the spread of BS and lies spread of "Mis-information.. However, "Freedomof speech and ability to disseminate opinions appears to trump the ability of Trolls/Bots that infiltrate it continues to appear constantly! Educated and those that know the Facts/truths fight back but for some 9 especially here on C-d) appear to get more exposure of just plan Lies... Course POTUS spreads and disseminates same lies daily++

There's a reason USA has become distrusted and not considered a place to make any deals with.. It's going to take a change soon..or World economy will lose their ability to justify their profit margins .. and many of those Corporations that got $$ from DJT's pay-off to them will go into top 1%'er" and will bow out!!

Meanwhile global communities will suffer/and will never forget WHO actually caused much of this disaster!!

Apology Tour by Biden won't work initially, unfortunately..It will comedown to what USA's Congress does to attempt to repair what DJT has destroyed... Confidence requires years to repair

Social media has to be taken in context/ source of many must be search by hosts to get to the bottom of just "WHO is disseminating their information.. Electronic connections is known .. yet many platforms have been LAZY too VET them.. It's been a few years and many get blocked.... then Many suggest conspiracy to silence Blah blah!! If people were able to verify IP/location addresses.. It would be possible to block etc. Thank GOD, many well know Sites have already been identified..and only ones repeating their BS are those who want to have their personal ideology repeated.. regardless of Facts!!

China/Russia and many other Countries have "Teams" spreading alternate viewpoints of facts" in order to discredit those FACTS!! Welcome to the 21st Century.. It behooves people to be VERY VERY careful just who they listen to!!

Old 05-16-2020, 06:04 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
I feel nothing other than amazed that people actually get their news and information from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies