Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 09:55 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Where is the flaw in the statistics?

Serious question.

These data seem pretty straightforward.
Please elucidate the compiling error if you don’t agree.

“Coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths worldwide per one million population as of May 17, 2020, by country”

Sweden is 6th.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-inhabitants/
My opinion:

It's not the statistics that are flawed. It's the comparison of the statistics between countries. If Sweden and any other country did exactly nothing to fight CV, would their death rates between them be exactly the same per capita? No. Why? Because geography and environment and culture and even politics all play a part in the spread of a virus and it's effect on a population. And to what degree would they differ? We don't know.

We DO know that 99% of known cases are extremely mild and since that is such a high percentage, that should be the driving factor of political policy.

Again, I like Sweden's light touch approach to managing this pandemic and I think parts of the US are moving towards that posture as each day passes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 10:15 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Meaning what, exactly?
We know that covid tends to be mild for kids and more serious in older adults, just like chicken pox. Less similar to your polio or smallpox comparison.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:56 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No reputable epidemiologist talks about herd immunity without a vaccine
That's exactly right.

"Herd immunity" (snicker) is an hypothesis, not a theory. There is no data to support the claim of "herd immunity" (snicker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Actyually, viruses have become extinct becuase the disease killed too quickly that it ran out of people to infect.
That is true, and that was the case for Spanish Flu, but that is not the same thing as "herd immunity" (snicker).

With respect to "herd immunity" (snicker) and Spanish Flu, note there were 2 distinct waves that swept through the US killing people.

Also note that 10s of 1,000s got Spanish Flu twice, once during the 1st wave and again in the 2nd wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
That statistic is meaningless until you consider population size, densities, vulnerabilities, culture.
And you deceitfully ignore those because they destroy your argument.

The population density in Sweden is less than the US. Disease spreads slower through populations with lower densities.

Swedes are a homogeneous group.

Did it not occur to you that their DNA is better adapted to cold climate and fight off diseases associated with colder climates?

Swedes are also monarchists.

Americans are republicans.

Monarchists have different attitudes toward government than republicans.

You need only to suggest to Swedes to social distance and they'll do it.

But, Americans?

On local TV last night when bars and restaurants opened with patio seating, social distancing went right out the freaking window, in spite of the fact it was a condition to reopen.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Quote:
You're wrong, dude. Take the L. It's not about a population comparison. It's about pushing flawed statistics to bolster your political view. You "WANT" isolation to be the answer but every single day, it's not looking like the right one.

Sweden had a better approach to the pandemic than a one-size-fits-all lockdown. period.
As far as political view, I'm an ultra-conservative. I make Finn look like Eugene Debs.

I'm guessing you're really Michael Dukakis.

You're certainly not a Conservative, because you've shown a blatant callous disregard for family and community.

Sweden has more deaths per Million and more hospitalized and at home sick than the US.

And, Sweden's economy is tanking.

Oooops......

Your economy was going to crash no matter what you did, but having government crash it will be less costly and of shorter duration than letting the virus crash it for you.

As it stands now, your economy might recover by late July or August, instead of December, which is how long the misery would have lasted had nothing been done.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:09 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Except that they lost 10X more people than their neighbors, and gained nothing.
A lot of their infections and deaths were concentrated in the Somalian migrant community. Many of whom didn't give a damn about observing social distancing guidelines...

Old 05-17-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's exactly right.

"Herd immunity" (snicker) is an hypothesis, not a theory. There is no data to support the claim of "herd immunity" (snicker).

That is true, and that was the case for Spanish Flu, but that is not the same thing as "herd immunity" (snicker).

With respect to "herd immunity" (snicker) and Spanish Flu, note there were 2 distinct waves that swept through the US killing people.

Also note that 10s of 1,000s got Spanish Flu twice, once during the 1st wave and again in the 2nd wave.

And you deceitfully ignore those because they destroy your argument.

The population density in Sweden is less than the US. Disease spreads slower through populations with lower densities.

Swedes are a homogeneous group.

Did it not occur to you that their DNA is better adapted to cold climate and fight off diseases associated with colder climates?

Swedes are also monarchists.

Americans are republicans.

Monarchists have different attitudes toward government than republicans.

You need only to suggest to Swedes to social distance and they'll do it.

But, Americans?

On local TV last night when bars and restaurants opened with patio seating, social distancing went right out the freaking window, in spite of the fact it was a condition to reopen.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

As far as political view, I'm an ultra-conservative. I make Finn look like Eugene Debs.

I'm guessing you're really Michael Dukakis.

You're certainly not a Conservative, because you've shown a blatant callous disregard for family and community.

Sweden has more deaths per Million and more hospitalized and at home sick than the US.

And, Sweden's economy is tanking.

Oooops......

Your economy was going to crash no matter what you did, but having government crash it will be less costly and of shorter duration than letting the virus crash it for you.

As it stands now, your economy might recover by late July or August, instead of December, which is how long the misery would have lasted had nothing been done.
You couldn't be more wrong or wrong about me. And one thing I know from reading your prior screeds, you don't like when you are wrong and you have no idea how frequently you are. If anything, you're more of a Dan Quayle type.

Why do you keep saying "your economy"? You're not in America?

Sweden's population density is less than the US? LOL. Some parts yes and some parts no.

Show me in any comparison of CV deaths between countries where the statistics take into account a "national DNA"? Your tripe hasn't hurt my argument one bit. But keep trying. You'll get it right when the right answer becomes obvious. Then you'll claim it was your answer all along.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
A lot of their infections and deaths were concentrated in the Somalian migrant community. Many of whom didn't give a damn about observing social distancing guidelines...
Good point. But they were just going to let us think the only deaths in Sweden were indigenous Swedes.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:15 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
It's not finished but it is further along than you indicate:

-40% ventilator usage and hospitalizations have been falling for three weeks almost since the lock-down ended
in Georgia?

YEs overall we are on the right track and why we should definitely be moving forward towards some kind of new normal.

As you know, I'm all in and have been participating -- lol.

But it really is too early to tell if the states opening up are going to be okay.
I have an optimitic feeling that here in South Carolina we will be fine. We weren't as bad as many other places, not as good as some.....but I'm feeling good about going forward.

Concerts, bars, etc...nah not so much....but a patio lunch overlooking the beach -- I'm in.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:17 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Quote:
Good point. But they were just going to let us think the only deaths in Sweden were indigenous Swedes.
It might also be due to the fact that, due to their dark skin, they tend to be more Vitamin D deficient.

Which, along with Vitamins A and C are very important in fighting off not only Covid19 but other infectious diseases as well.

Vaccines are a cop-out so that people don't have to examine and engage in more healthy lifestyles and diets...

Old 05-17-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
in Georgia?

YEs overall we are on the right track and why we should definitely be moving forward towards some kind of new normal.

As you know, I'm all in and have been participating -- lol.

But it really is too early to tell if the states opening up are going to be okay.
I have an optimitic feeling that here in South Carolina we will be fine. We weren't as bad as many other places, not as good as some.....but I'm feeling good about going forward.

Concerts, bars, etc...nah not so much....but a patio lunch overlooking the beach -- I'm in.
Good luck. I think you'll be fine with whatever you decide to do. I'm looking forward to a weekend in Myrtle real soon.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
In keeping with my theme that Swedes are not Americans

Secretary Azur qutoe........"I think, in any individual instance, you're going to see people doing things that are irresponsible. That's part of the freedom that we have here in America."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies