Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 10:53 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times

Advertisements

My sister lives in VA Beach and she says the state is opening up but she's not going anywhere. All sorts of concerts and other events will be going on but she won't be going. Says it's too soon. Residents have a hard time getting to the beach anyway--it's jammed with hotels and probably those on the beach come from elsewhere and are staying in hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

19,387 posts, read 6,498,806 times
Oh-oh. In March when people packed the Virginia beaches, Governor Blackface got angry and punished the entire state with a lockdown until June 10th - which at that time was almost three months away. He will not be disobeyed!

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
To be fair, isn’t the beach the best place you can be? In the warm sun with plenty of saltwater to kill any virus?

I’d take that over cramming into a Walmart.
Saltwater is full of viruses.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:57 AM

989 posts, read 455,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
These people appear to be practicing social distancing. Small groups that are together appear to be properly distanced from others. Mostly it's 2 or 3 or 4 people together as small groups.

I think a photo taken down the beach like that is playing tricks with our eyes. People farther away in the photo appear to be spaced closer together than they really are. I bet if an overhead photo was taken of the same area, you would mostly see proper social distancing with family groups staying together but other groups farther from each other.
Quote:
To be fair, isn’t the beach the best place you can be? In the warm sun with plenty of saltwater to kill any virus?

I’d take that over cramming into a Walmart

I agree that if I'm going to do anything, I'm going to go to the beach or a park. Yesterday was a beautiful day after weeks and weeks of dreary, rainy, cool "Seattle-like" weather here in the mid-Atlantic. It was GLORIOUS!

But....despite all that, the beaches were technically closed with the exception of fishing and exercise. I don't think the intention was that you could sit, sunbathe, and have a beach day in groups. But apparently, no one in Virginia is going to enforce it.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:59 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

Is that the same beach picture that was used in stories regarding the Pacific coast?
there was some fake news regarding that recently.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:00 AM

211 posts, read 409,220 times
Fair amount of people in the water, according to a quick Google search, water temp is 57 to 60.3, that is a bit chilly

Old 05-17-2020, 11:01 AM

14,216 posts, read 4,587,380 times
I live in Los Angeles and it is the same thing this weekend at the beaches and parks

Old 05-17-2020, 11:12 AM

989 posts, read 455,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969351 View Post
Fair amount of people in the water, according to a quick Google search, water temp is 57 to 60.3, that is a bit chilly
I agree that this is odd. It makes me suspect the photo is fake. The water temps around here are very cold and seriously doubt that many people would be in the water. I know the reporter states when it where it was done, but it surely seems odd.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:12 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,035,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
New York City bars were packed this weekend. What's your rationalization for that? Are they not liberal, too?
NYC bars are closed for sit-down service, so exactly which bars did you go to/walk by that were packed?

Are you talking about that picture of people getting takeout from Dorians?

Old 05-17-2020, 11:13 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Oh-oh. In March when people packed the Virginia beaches, Governor Blackface got angry and punished the entire state with a lockdown until June 10th - which at that time was almost three months away. He will not be disobeyed!
Try quoting facts, the state has started to reopen as of Friday with the exception of some localities who requested the continuation for another 2 weeks.

As for the beaches "As mandated by the State of Virginia, all public beaches are currently closed, except for the purposes of fishing and exercise. Proper social distancing measures should continue to be taken and groups should not exceed ten people in number at any point."

Even with the shutdown only certain business were shut down completely others could be open if they could maintain limitations and social distancing requirements. Restaurants had to do take out/delivery only.
https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies