Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 12:18 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,079,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

He pointed out plenty that was wrong. Illegal? No. Short-sighted? Yes. It's not illegal to willfully ignore scientific fact, but as we've seen the results can be tragic.

In other words.......he stated his opinion.

That's not a "whistleblower".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 12:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,148,069 times
Quote:
It's great to say that manufacturing should be shifted back to the United States and that the supply chain needs protecting. But what is he doing to encourage that?
It requires Capital.

Also, you do realize that such manufacturing would increase medical costs, which in turn would increase health insurance costs, right?

You need Capital in the form of money to start your mask-making venture.

Unless you're already rich, you're not going to get a bank to finance you.

You'll have to get private investors, so you'll need a really good business plan.

The other Capital you need is labor.

Please don't embarrass yourself by saying there's 6 Million unemployed, because that's not how it works.

In order to work in manufacturing, you must have the manufacturing skill-set as part of your skill-set repertoire. How many of those 6 Million have the manufacturing skill-set? Statistically, about 18%-20%.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, about 1,200,000 workers.

Yes, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, because the heavy manufacturing skill-set, which is a sub-set of the manufacturing skill-set, is not the same as the light manufacturing skill-set or the clean manufacturing skill-set.

Those skill-sets are not inherently transferable, meaning just because you have the clean manufacturing skill-set, it does not logically follow that you can adapt to the heavy manufacturing skill-set.

Do those 1,200,000 workers all live in the same city?

Nope, and that's most unfortunate.

How many would actually live in your MSA? About 3,100.

Even though 3,100 might have the skill-set, they are not morally, ethically or legally obligated to work in that skill-set and probably wouldn't unless you paid them $45-$65/hour.

Which brings us to the next point, which is being competitive so that you can stay in business.

You'd probably only be able to pay around minimum wage in order to stay open.

And, if you have high turn-over and hiring/training costs, it's going to end badly for you.

Which brings us to another point.

You can have high paying jobs manufacturing high-tech electronic stuff or low paying jobs that manufacture garden-variety crap, because you don't have the labor or other Capital to do both.

What is the most efficient use of that labor? The high paying jobs.

That just one of about a dozen reasons why you "off-shore" jobs. You keep the good stuff and let the up-and-coming foreign States do the dumb stuff.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:58 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,066,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post

Trump supporters are so deluded that they don't realize Bright is giving an argument that they would probably agree with if it didn't make Trump look like a petulant toddler. It makes me understand that the Trump movement isn't about ideology or policy, it's about protecting their dear leader at all costs.

The irony is that those who can least afford, and still support this clown, are the ones who pay the most. They've lost their health care, they've lost their jobs, and they are faced with a debt pile which can never be repaid. And yet they still think when he sucks them in with childish rhetoric he is on "their side". He is on nobody's side except himself. Anything for Donald. Nothing for anyone else. Oh the pain when the flock finally realizes that his cheering them on while they applaud the most basic violation of all of our rights, has only to do with making the Donald the source of fraud and fiddling.

I give you by way of example" "I don't take a salary of $400,000" or whatever it is. At the same time I bill BILLIONs to the government for my clubs, in tax finagling, and awarding contracts which benefit my family (see son in law Kushner and the Medical Supplies meant for the citizens).. And his followers applaud.

And then here are the series of whistleblowers who bring forward facts which the clown decries as being "disgruntled" employees. We should ALL be disgruntled at what he has been doing to our Country.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:40 PM

2,000 posts, read 759,842 times
Quote:
Facts cannot be biased. It's that simple.

He pointed out plenty that was wrong. Illegal? No. Short-sighted? Yes. It's not illegal to willfully ignore scientific fact, but as we've seen the results can be tragic.
The reality, and a point largely glossed over by the masses is, the President and political appointees don’t control spending and the day to day activities of the departments. This is a failure of these government “experts” career employees who have access to billion dollar budgets and decide how this money is spent. If there wasn’t equipment in the stockpile that’s on the leadership, which doesn’t rise to the elected official level. Unfortunately, we never hold the Fauci’s or the Brights’s of the world accountable.

We turn into a political fight and think some Pandemic office in the basement of the west wing would have made a difference.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:47 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
The reality, and a point largely glossed over by the masses is, the President and political appointees don’t control spending and the day to day activities of the departments. This is a failure of these government “experts” career employees who have access to billion dollar budgets and decide how this money is spent. If there wasn’t equipment in the stockpile that’s on the leadership, which doesn’t rise to the elected official level. Unfortunately, we never hold the Fauci’s or the Brights’s of the world accountable.

We turn into a political fight and think some Pandemic office in the basement of the west wing would have made a difference.
This President sure does, look how many people he's fired, he fires everyone who he thinks don't agree with him. What you said makes sense for any other administration, but not for this one.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:11 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I agree.

You have "Crimson Contagion" that should have been glaring red flag that the US supply chain was extremely vulnerable to a global pandemic. Of course, Trump and his crew of corrupt idiots completely ignores the warnings as the coronavirus spreads in China.

Then it spreads globally and countries close off their borders; the US is left without PPE because we outsourced all the manufacturing to other countries.

Trump supporters are so deluded that they don't realize Bright is giving an argument that they would probably agree with if it didn't make Trump look like a petulant toddler. It makes me understand that the Trump movement isn't about ideology or policy, it's about protecting their dear leader at all costs.
In all honesty, that kind of blind following is exactly the stuff of both parties modern foundations. We saw Obama worshipers, we saw Bush worshipers, and now Trump worship. I'm thinking this is simply the evidence of America becoming dumbed down to levels that allow a sports team fervor to permeate the political realm. One poster who seems to suffer a serious case of delusional thinking was adamantly comparing Trump to--George Washington?

As the collective IQ drops, it seems that more people look to politics for a savior, someone who can deliver them from the evil liberals or the demonic conservatives, depending on who they fear. I'm old, and tired of seeing the nation in decline, and all the friction only makes it harder to have a conversation with those of an opposing view. I grew up in a different America, one that put civility ahead of one's need to be heard at all cost. And unlike Trump and others who grew up as wayward types who were openly dismissive of others, we were taught to be civil and respectful. So much for that America, it's long gone..

Old 05-18-2020, 04:18 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
In all honesty, that kind of blind following is exactly the stuff of both parties modern foundations. We saw Obama worshipers, we saw Bush worshipers, and now Trump worship. I'm thinking this is simply the evidence of America becoming dumbed down to levels that allow a sports team fervor to permeate the political realm. One poster who seems to suffer a serious case of delusional thinking was adamantly comparing Trump to--George Washington?

As the collective IQ drops, it seems that more people look to politics for a savior, someone who can deliver them from the evil liberals or the demonic conservatives, depending on who they fear. I'm old, and tired of seeing the nation in decline, and all the friction only makes it harder to have a conversation with those of an opposing view. I grew up in a different America, one that put civility ahead of one's need to be heard at all cost. And unlike Trump and others who grew up as wayward types who were openly dismissive of others, we were taught to be civil and respectful. So much for that America, it's long gone..
I disagree, this is unique to the Trump presidency. I have never seen hundreds if not thousands of professionals including scientists and degreed people replaced by campaign donors or children of campaign donors who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. In the past we expected donors to be rewarded with ambassadorships, but now they are holding cabinet positions. Geezus we have what, 7 lobbyists holding cabinet positions?
https://prospect.org/power/mapping-c...cutive-branch/

Old 05-18-2020, 04:22 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,033,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
60 years from now, I wonder if Americans will look back at Trump's presidency and laugh, or just shake their heads in disbelief.

What a time to be alive in America. We have a silver-spoon idiot reality TV star with zero experience in government running the government.
Yep......that was the reason I voted for him.

I thought the "silver-spoon idiot reality TV star with zero experience in government running the government" would FINALLY get the attention of the Elites in this country. That they would realize everyday people were hurting and finally put America first.

I expected him to fail. BUT I expected that the Elites would finally GET THE MESSAGE.

For a "first-time" government employee he has done much, much, much better than I expected. Total surprise.

BTW....the Elites didn't get the message. They focused on Trump, instead of the message the American people were sending to the Elites.

So guess what...I am voting for him again.

As a "first-time" Federal government employee he made a MAJOR mistake not firing ALL the previous political appointees from previous administrations. As a Federal employee for 30 years......political appointees OWE their lives to the political parties, NOT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. They really could care less about the American people.

He is getting better and better at running the Federal government. Still don't like him as a person, but as President he has been the best President since Ronald Reagan.

I am looking forward to the next four years with him in office. I will actually work for his re-election.

Last edited by 509; 05-18-2020 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-18-2020, 06:48 PM

9,821 posts, read 4,614,344 times
Quote:
Trump is such a toddler, going off on a tantrum and retiring to lame insults when his widdle feewings are hurt. What an embarrassment to intelligent Americans.

He does act like a child and I agree with a lot of what he says. His delicate china doll ego is EXTREMELY brittle when he is not portrayed in a positive manner. He's his own worst enemy and unnecessarily keeps non starter issues alive.

I know people like that they always must be perceived in a positive manner no matter the issue and will lie and embellish to say the least. It not even about taking responsibility for an issue they literally and figuratively live for positive 'press', feedback, validation what ever you want to call it but President Trump is extremely delicate if not needy dude.

That being said I'm sure frustration builds that he can't get the positive press and feedback he deserves in many cases when the media especially CBS(top of the hour radio news gives new meaning to bias) and others look to make mountains out of mole hills on everything. The spin so much I don't how they can stand up straight after completing a broadcast or press conference.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:00 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,066,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Yep......that was the reason I voted for him.

I thought the "silver-spoon idiot reality TV star with zero experience in government running the government" would FINALLY get the attention of the Elites in this country. That they would realize everyday people were hurting and finally put America first.

I expected him to fail. BUT I expected that the Elites would finally GET THE MESSAGE.

For a "first-time" government employee he has done much, much, much better than I expected. Total surprise.

BTW....the Elites didn't get the message. They focused on Trump, instead of the message the American people were sending to the Elites.

So guess what...I am voting for him again.

As a "first-time" Federal government employee he made a MAJOR mistake not firing ALL the previous political appointees from previous administrations. As a Federal employee for 30 years......political appointees OWE their lives to the political parties, NOT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. They really could care less about the American people.

He is getting better and better at running the Federal government. Still don't like him as a person, but as President he has been the best President since Ronald Reagan.

I am looking forward to the next four years with him in office. I will actually work for his re-election.

Does it strike you that the Donald is a Silver Spoon wannabe (he is such a pathetic human being they don't want anything to do with him) and therefore leads the class (swamp?) when it comes to heinous behavior in government?

Rhetoric (lies?) aside, has he does anything for the average American? Or America at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies