Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 11:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is baloney.

You think all the people collecting money are liberals -- lololol.

Come on now .

And employers are required to report employees who are refusing to work and those employees lose their benefits.

The problem isn't the rules/procedure, it is the people who don't follow them.
All they have to say in my state is that they do not feel safe... the benefits continue. (KY) Our Governor actually talked about this on his press conf a few days ago, he said NO ONE was going to be forced into working if they didnt feel safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 11:49 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Once a business gets their PPP funding, they have 8 weeks to use it on 75% payroll in order to have it forgiven. They have a huge incentive to get those employees back to work as soon as they are funded.

I'm curious how the compliance and verification is going to work on that. Does that have to go to a payroll increase over existing payroll?

Old 05-19-2020, 11:52 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
All they have to say in my state is that they do not feel safe... the benefits continue. (KY) Our Governor actually talked about this on his press conf a few days ago, he said NO ONE was going to be forced into working if they didnt feel safe.
So then who is going to go back to work if they were a low-skilled employee (waitress, retail, etc.) earning $10 - $15/hr if they could just say "I don't feel safe," and with the extra money they are getting for being unemployed (instead of the $2500 they get for working per month, they will now get close to $4000), go out to eat for lunch, go the shopping mall, even take up a new sport.

How is the small business supposed to recover given the Democrats' success in pushing the bribe - paying employees more if they turn down work? Dang but those Democrats sure want to keep the unemployed rate high.

Last edited by Rachel976; 05-19-2020 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 11:52 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBlock View Post
A restaurant job is considered essential at the moment. Who is going to deliver food or make your food under these conditions currently in a pandemic? You should at least pay them some Hazard pay or pay them two week sick pay if they get sick from covid

You're not listening. I don't think anyone has said the employee doesn't deserve it but you need to answer the question as to where the money is coming from. Many small businesses, after being shut down a few months and now operating at 25-50%, don't have any in their accounts to give.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:59 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So then who is going to go back to work if they were an low-skilled employee (waitress, retail, etc.) earning $10 - $15/hr if they could just say "I don't feel safe," and with the extra money they are getting for being unemployed (instead of the $2500 they get for working per month, they will now get close to $4000), go out to eat for lunch, go the shopping mall, even take up a new sport.

How is the small business supposed to recover given the Democrats' success in pushing the bribe - paying employees more if they turn down work? Dang but those Democrats sure want to keep the unemployed rate high.
Exactly.

What's to stop them from just milking the system and constantly say "I don't feel safe?"

Old 05-19-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You're not listening. I don't think anyone has said the employee doesn't deserve it but you need to answer the question as to where the money is coming from. Many small businesses, after being shut down a few months and now operating at 25-50%, don't have any in their accounts to give.
Bingo! Some of these posters who just want to drop thousands of dollars on people who refuse to go back to work (in some cases, DOUBLE what they could get for working) don't appreciate the dire straights that small business owners are in.

Even when they open, they will be lucky if they just break even, as they will be forced to keep customer levels to 25% to 50%. Do liberals really think that businesses are just rolling in cash and can "match" the bribe level of $4000 a month for staying unemployed for the lowest-skilled workers? How is the business owner supposed to pay HIS or HER bills??

Old 05-19-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Exactly.

What's to stop them from just milking the system and constantly say "I don't feel safe?"
True. The problem is that we will have the radical leftists come out and say how we look down on low-income workers because we are selling them short - assuming that they would choose to stay unemployed over working, even if being unemployed ends up with them getting double the money they could earn.

Puh-lease. I know leftists always like to race in and defend poorly educated and/or minimally skilled people, but really, they aren't altruistic. They will milk this thing for whatever it's worth - pocketing an extra $1000 or $2000 a month as long as they can. What person is going to turn down $4000 a month for doing nothing - all that extra time and money! - for the chance to wait for the bus, deal with the commute, stand on their feet all day, do a boring job, and then return home to do it all another day, and for half the money??

Old 05-19-2020, 12:03 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
Employers, restaurants around here are reopening and offering jobs back.

If they don't go back to work they get cut off unemployment.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Employers, restaurants around here are reopening and offering jobs back.

If they don't go back to work they get cut off unemployment.
That would be great if they did. But a poster just a few up said that in his state, all the employee has to say is that he doesn't feel safe back at work, and the gravy train continues.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:07 PM

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the Democrats were pushing this unemployment "windfall" in order to discourage employees from returning to work, thus keeping the unemployment rate artificially high, and using it to defeat Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies