Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 02:50 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
July 31.
That's bad. It means that struggling business owners, FINALLY allowed to open and trying to save their livelihoods, won't be able to staff their operations for another two months. That's enough to drive them into bankruptcy and make this entire thing even worse.

NO WAY should unemployed people be paid MORE in government funding than they earned. At most, it should have been at 100% of pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 03:06 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People know this isn't permanent, even those uneducated folk that you look down on....

People are taking advantage of this, costing the taxpayers like me money. Do you have any idea the tab for this if the Dems get their way and extend this into December? End this ASAP and everyone go back to work, that's what's happening here and there are zero people hospitalized in all of Knox County (500k+ pop) for Covid. I'm not saying this isn't serious... but newsshock-- not everywhere is the NE and NYC right now.

I don't look down on the working class, I just said poor Bernie people think they deserve free money more than anyone else which is a generally true stereotype.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's bad. It means that struggling business owners, FINALLY allowed to open and trying to save their livelihoods, won't be able to staff their operations for another two months. That's enough to drive them into bankruptcy and make this entire thing even worse.

NO WAY should unemployed people be paid MORE in government funding than they earned. At most, it should have been at 100% of pay.
Who the heck signed that bill?

Old 05-19-2020, 03:16 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:

And while I think the new $3T bill (that extends the UI through Jan 2021) that the House just passed is "deader than fried chicken", there will almost certainly be a negotiated compromise on the bill and a good chance that the UI part remains in. We can only hope the Senate and Trump insist that it be scaled to ensure that UI is less than previous wage. But I haven't heard a lot of GOP opposition to it. It is the state and city bailouts that is their red line. And the UI may be the Dem's red line.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:18 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
More jobs available for 2020 high school and college grads who can't get unemployment. Win.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:

No argument.

50 states and 50 unique UE systems, many of which were old systems not easily modified.

No question states were receiving unprecedented UE claims that were overwhelming systems and creating huge backlogs. Some states combined the bump with the UE payment. Some states issued 2 separate payment. And some states experienced huge gaps in timing.

While it seems simple to write a few lines of code, I have no idea what shape state systems are in or the resources to maintain them.

Bottom line, the Senate and Trump agreed and Trump made sure recipients knew he was responsible for the bump.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People know this isn't permanent, even those uneducated folk that you look down on....
I recall when the temporary suspension of Payroll Taxes associated with the financial crisis ended, some media chose to frame it as an Obama increase in taxes.

Seems some chose to not comprehend the definition of “ temporary”.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:37 PM

If, as some, claim, the temporary $600 bump along with UE is more than many earned pre C-19 and those receiving UE automatically qualify for SNAP, and may qualify for EBT , what is up with the food banks and lines that extend for miles and miles?

There are endless reports of people waiting for hours in these lines to have a shot before the food bank runs out.

I appreciate the SNAP Benefit ( $1.40 p/p, per meal does not go far without modifying meal planning. I also understand the cost of infant formula.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:38 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:

I explained. Count all jobs. - 2/3 jobs for many people - and I just read in Fl the restaurant etc are adding a surcharge for Covid expenses- cleaning products etc to the clients.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:25 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
While it seems simple to write a few lines of code, I have no idea what shape state systems are in or the resources to maintain them.

Think Cobol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies