Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 04:33 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
No it's not rightfully theirs, you deserve only what you can create and defend yourself and they couldn't create or defend anything. Hell they were still in the stone age when North America was discovered by the rest of the world and they'd still be in the stone age to this very day if not for that happening.

They were fortunate to have been given anything at all.
So if Corona Virus (as an example) wipes out 3/4 of your people the way small pox & measles did to native tribes and then say an unaffected country comes over to slaughter more of you and take your means to live you would be ok with being relegated to a "stone age" existence that your left with....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 04:35 PM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
So if Corona Virus (as an example) wipes out 3/4 of your people the way small pox & measles did to native tribes and then say an unaffected country comes over to slaughter more of you and take your means to live you would be ok with being relegated to a "stone age" existence that your left with....
Smallpox had nothing to do with what happened to native tribes.

Also, they weren't "relegated" to a stone age existence, they never managed to get beyond that level for a host of reasons, until others showed up and did it for them.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Smallpox had nothing to do with what happened to native tribes.

Also, they weren't "relegated" to a stone age existence, they never managed to get beyond that level for a host of reasons, until others showed up and did it for them.
Stone age existence according to you, looking at European Countries starting at the time of Columbus onward and comparing them to China they were living like animals. For the earliest settlers it was these natives that taught them how to survive.

As for diseases

"The most destructive disease brought by Europeans was smallpox. The first well-documented smallpox epidemic happened in 1518.[3] The Lakota Indians called the disease the running face sickness.[8] Smallpox was lethal to many Native Americans, bringing sweeping epidemics and affecting the same tribes repeatedly. "

"Many Native American tribes experienced great depopulation, averaging 25–50% of the tribes' members lost to disease. Additionally, smaller tribes neared extinction after facing a severely destructive spread of disease.[4] A specific example was Cortés' invasion of Mexico. Before his arrival, the Mexican population is estimated to have been around 25 to 30 million. Fifty years later, the Mexican population was reduced to 3 million, mainly by infectious disease. "

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native..._and_epidemics

Old 05-19-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Stone age existence according to you
No, it's literally fact that they were still in the stone age when the Europeans showed up, and they almost certainly would have never managed to get out of the stone age no matter how much time went on. That's not to say they didn't do the best with what they had, and IMO some of that was pretty impressive, it's just pointing out the fact that they never managed to get beyond the stone age.....and never would have.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:19 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
CNN should be ashamed (but honestly this is par for the course for them). Sure, let's assume their infection rate is truly higher than NY (vs simply being a side effect of number of test administered), without knowing the real world impact of infections (e.g. hospitalizations, deaths), that number is meaningless. What's even more telling:

So CNN is implying that more extreme lock downs are meaningless?

Complete junk reporting. They are so callous and empowered that they can send out completely different messages but yet feel confident that the tone of the article is all that is necessary for folks to buy into their narrative (CV19 affects 'minorities' disproportionately).

Eh, they're just reporting facts.

I mean, I get it. For someone people fake news is just facts they don't like while red pills are imaginary things they'd like to be true. It's more the inverse for most people though. Generally whenever I see someone talking bout fake news it's someone complaining because they don't like the facts. Case in point. Meanwhile some talking about red pills is usually someone with fantastical story they're convinced is real. Take that red pill and burn down some 5G, that kind of thing.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
No, it's literally fact that they were still in the stone age when the Europeans showed up, and they almost certainly would have never managed to get out of the stone age no matter how much time went on. That's not to say they didn't do the best with what they had, and IMO some of that was pretty impressive, it's just pointing out the fact that they never managed to get beyond the stone age.....and never would have.
There living met their needs and many of the cultures in the Americas were pretty advanced compared to the Europeans, what they lacked was firearms and resistance against disease...

Old 05-19-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
There living met their needs and many of the cultures in the Americas were pretty advanced compared to the Europeans, what they lacked was firearms and resistance against disease...
No, they weren't advanced in any way, and them never advancing wasn't by choice, it was because they weren't able to due to natural disadvantages they had. Unfortunately for them, they were stuck on North America without any beasts of burden, and no one to trade with that had them either. Without animal labor, it's impossible to progress beyond the stone age. They did pretty well for a primitive society, but let's not go crazy romanticizing it.

They made almost no progress societally or technologically over thousands of years. Like I said, they did pretty well for what they had to work with, but they were backwards and primitive, and that would have never changed without outside interference.

The fact that they knew local hunting, foraging, and farming techniques better than newcomers doesn't change that.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
No it's not rightfully theirs, you deserve only what you can create and defend yourself and they couldn't create or defend anything. Hell they were still in the stone age when North America was discovered by the rest of the world and they'd still be in the stone age to this very day if not for that happening.

They were fortunate to have been given anything at all.
Dude, please. SMH

If your ancestors hadn’t left Europe, they would’ve died of starvation. Talking about the “Stone Age” when referring to people who were able to feed themselves and eek out a basic subsistence when your ancestors lived even worse than any Indian did.

Give ya mouth a rest.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I see no bias in the CNN report. What if what they reported is true? I know, that doesn't fit some minds very well but what if its actually true? It follows a lot of patterns, such as genetic biases can lead to higher infection rates.
There really isn't. I live in Arizona and it has been an issue for at least a month and a half now whether you talk the local media or at times the national media. Every other week, there was some story about Gallup (on the New Mexico side of the reservation or res) actually had blocked traffic. The res has had several 78 hour curfews during the height of the pandemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Like New York, imposing a strict lockdown cooping everyone up together is an effective way to spread the virus.

Hope we learn from this and they get the best treatment.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. New York has several issues. Some of it is close-knit communities like the Hasidic Jewish community. Some of it is mass transit. Some of it is being an international travel hub. Some of it is due to very close quarters whether working or walking. Some of it is the fact that healthcare is too expensive. The Navajo community is close-knit and I can say that from going to the reservation and dating a Navajo woman and being threatened during and after the relationship. But it also has issues of resources. Some areas have no access to running water. There is also a good amount of obesity and other unhealthy behavior including drug use. Both of my ex's parents used meth at different times and her brother when I knew her was alcoholic.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Dude, please. SMH

If your ancestors hadn’t left Europe, they would’ve died of starvation. Talking about the “Stone Age” when referring to people who were able to feed themselves and eek out a basic subsistence when your ancestors lived even worse than any Indian did.

Give ya mouth a rest.
No, they wouldn't have. Don't ignorantly lash out simply because you don't like the truth of what I'm saying.

Talking about the "stone age" when talking about a stone age civilization is entirely appropriate. You can try to overly glamorize that stone age civilization if you want.....but it won't get you very far. The facts are that they were somewhere between 7500 and 4000 years behind the rest of the world.

I've given them props for what they managed to accomplish, and I've explained that it wasn't their fault....and that they would have literally never advanced beyond the stone age without outside interference, but let's not get crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies