Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 10:58 AM

3,075 posts, read 3,262,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Please. Your ancestors may not have even survived the 20th Century, let alone a time before that!

Hell, Europeans wacked 100 million of their own people in Continental wars last century alone, culminating in the Bosnian/Balkan War. And the Europeans showed that their propensity for blood thirst, murder and ethnic cleansing had gone nowhere. That was the 90’s, and they were STILL setting up concentration camps and creating mass graves.

How many Americans are of Slavic ancestry? Gotta be millions.

So, you know...slow ya roll.
So, what was the topic of this thread again ...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 10:59 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Boy, this really surprised me as someone who comes from one of the Navajo Nation states. Talk about a beautiful but bleak place....that a virus can rip its way through that area just shows how deadly this thing is.

Watch the video. The Navajo just can’t catch a break. All of my life, I’ve never known them to live without horrible tragedy and poor health issues.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/18/u...rnd/index.html
I don't think it should be surprising at all. The Navajo Nation has some of the highest poverty rates, poor health outcomes, and poor access to healthcare.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
Quote:
Boy, this really surprised me as someone who comes from one of the Navajo Nation states. Talk about a beautiful but bleak place....that a virus can rip its way through that area just shows how deadly this thing is.

Watch the video. The Navajo just can’t catch a break. All of my life, I’ve never known them to live without horrible tragedy and poor health issues.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/18/u...rnd/index.html
From the Navajo Times
Quote:
Over the past few days it’s been reported the Navajo Nation has more COVID-19 cases per capita than any of the states, even surpassing the national hotspot, New York. President Jonathan Nez said that’s because the Nation is testing more of its citizens than any state, so “of course you’ll get more positive and negative results.”
144 deaths so far according to the same article and according to Wikipedia 350,000 people live in the Navajo Nation. Pretty high rate I think.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:40 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,556,583 times
Quote:
Nonsense. The Black Death alone wiped out 50 million people in “advanced Europe.” Why? Because a huge portion of the population were living in conditions hardly better than a pig sty. Sanitary conditions in Europe were atrocious. They’d almost deforested the entire continent. The average European wasn’t even allowed to hunt for food, lest he be imprisoned for poaching. Land was almost entirely in the hands of the extreme wealthy or the church. This is why Europeans were constantly on the hunt for distant lands where they could settle.

And once again, your ancestors were BROKE! The immigrants to this country were overwhelmingly poor. If they were doing so good in Europe, they would’ve stayed. The winners in European society didn’t need to leave. The destitute did. So if you’re an American of European ancestry, just know that there’s a 95% chance that your family were refugees from Europe’s continental misery.

As far as working with iron smelting and forging, West Africans were doing that by the sixth century. Indians may not have understood that technology, but they managed to clothe and feed themselves just fine. They didn’t need the White man to figure out a basic subsistence. And if they were happy with their lives, what’s wrong with that? I mean, what’s with the arrogance? YOU didn’t teach them anything!!
Quote:
Please. Your ancestors may not have even survived the 20th Century, let alone a time before that!

Hell, Europeans wacked 100 million of their own people in Continental wars last century alone, culminating in the Bosnian/Balkan War. And the Europeans showed that their propensity for blood thirst, murder and ethnic cleansing had gone nowhere. That was the 90’s, and they were STILL setting up concentration camps and creating mass graves.

How many Americans are of Slavic ancestry? Gotta be millions.

So, you know...slow ya roll.
LOL so yeah...I take it this is merely propaganda you got from some racist hate group. It's unfortunate how those types of groups prey on the uneducated and naive of all kinds.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:51 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Well....I mean, there literally is a reason why they live in such poor conditions, it's because they've done nothing at all with what they've been given. Their people would have been much better off had they been given nothing at all and just been expected to adapt to life in the rest of the country.
Well, their situation is pretty unique and the American Government has never been great for them. I have no idea what it’s like to be them I guess.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:56 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
CNN should be ashamed (but honestly this is par for the course for them). Sure, let's assume their infection rate is truly higher than NY (vs simply being a side effect of number of test administered), without knowing the real world impact of infections (e.g. hospitalizations, deaths), that number is meaningless. What's even more telling:

So CNN is implying that more extreme lock downs are meaningless?

Complete junk reporting. They are so callous and empowered that they can send out completely different messages but yet feel confident that the tone of the article is all that is necessary for folks to buy into their narrative (CV19 affects 'minorities' disproportionately).

I did not watch the video, but I did see what you quoted from it, and your conclusion is based on a lacking understanding. In the Navajo Nation, a stay at home order would have a different impact than the general US population. I read a lot about this a few weeks ago, consider:

Among the poorest populations inside the USA, they have muli-generations living under one roof, in very close quarters. Very limited access to modern healthcare in some cases, older, traditional-minded people, and the big one, is that even under lockdown, due to the poverty, they can't stockpile weeks of food, so they have the kids going out to get groceries, bringing it back to a crowded house, living in close quarters, where it's easy to spread.

ADD TO THAT, many homes don't have running water, so there is no ability to wash hands, and conditions are just not as clean.

There are so many more factors than "ooooh, lockdown doesn't work". If anyone ought to be ashamed it's you. Either for your dishonesty, or your lack of knowing the facts.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:07 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I don't think it should be surprising at all. The Navajo Nation has some of the highest poverty rates, poor health outcomes, and poor access to healthcare.
They have access to free healthcare.

https://navajofamilies.org/publichealth.html

https://www.ihs.gov/navajo/

Old 05-20-2020, 12:10 PM

3,075 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
There are so many more factors than "ooooh, lockdown doesn't work". If anyone ought to be ashamed it's you. Either for your dishonesty, or your lack of knowing the facts.
Interesting interpretation of my post. Can you point out exactly what I said that would imply that my gist was "oooh, lockdown doesn't work"? Versus "CNN threw out a headline grabbing but contextually less than relevant metric about a population and then tried to use that metric to support a statistically tenuous narrative vs focusing on the real world impact and implications on that population". Also feel free to detail the 'facts' that I appear to be lacking relative to gist of my comment or what aspect of my comment was 'dishonest'?

Old 05-20-2020, 12:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Healthcare is scares and often times distant.
"Native Americans" have universal healthcare.

It's effectively Medicare-for-All for Indians.

It's Indian Health Service. It's a line-item in the budget and is managed by the Bureau of Indian Affairs and is included as part of the $1.8 TRILLION annual welfare spending in the US.

In addition to the Indian Health Service, there's Indian Human Services, Indian Housing Block Grants and Indian Education (just in case you want to peruse the 2020 Budget or previous annual budgets).

It's all free.

Granted, they don't have big shiny hospitals that are monuments to the Hospital Administrator Gods, but they have medical and dental clinics on the reservation. The ER isn't exactly a certified trauma center at any level, but it gets the job done.

In case you're wondering, under US and international law, Indian tribes are nation-States separate and apart from the US but under the territorial administration of the US pursuant to treaties under which tribes ostensibly agreed to allow the US to administrate. Technically speaking, they comprise a confederation in which the US is effectively the central government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Stone age existence according to you,...
No, Stone Age according to the definition in use since time immemorial.

Stone Age means using stone implements and tools.

Europeans had metal hand-axes, hatchets, axes and other instruments to bludgeon one to death.

Indians had a rock tied to a stick using leather (since they didn't know how to make rope) called a tomahawk.

Hence, Stone Age.

Quote:
For the earliest settlers it was these natives that taught them how to survive
That's a distortion of the facts.

No Indians taught anyone how to survive.

The flora and fauna in the Americas is different than Europe. The Indians did teach Europeans to properly grow maize/corn, which is native to the Americas.

No one in Europe, Asia or Africa had ever seen corn until Europeans arrived.

Corn will quickly burn out the soil and your crop yields will diminish year after year until you have no corn at all.

To get around that, you plant legumes with corn, like lima beans or peas.

Corn puts nutrients in the ground for legumes, and legumes put nutrients in the ground for corn, so the soil never burns out.

Better still, since the Indians were too stupid to figure out how to make rope, and too lazy to put stakes for legumes, you can use the corn stalks in lieu of stakes, so you don't have to stake or tie them up.

Even better is that many legumes are naturally resistant to certain fungus, insects and disease that plague corn, so you have a natural organic pesticide. Won't stop worms, but it'll keep most insects off your corn.

And then, if you plant lima beans and eat them with corn, which is what succotash is, the chemicals they release in your stomach synthesize a protein, so you effectively have a meat substitute.

You forgot the part about the Wampanoag begging the Puritans to enter a mutual defense treaty, because the poor weak Wampanoag kept getting brutally savaged in their many battles with the Narraganssett.

One thing Indians loved more than anything was genocide. Dozens of tribes were exterminated in genocidal campaigns by your peace-loving Indians long before Europeans ever arrived.

Quote:
As for diseases

"The most destructive disease brought by Europeans was smallpox.
So what?

Asiatic Plague swept through the Roman Empire several times.

There's a reason why Europeans colonized Africa in the 1880s instead of the 1680s or 1780s.

Yeah, that's right, all the exploration parties before then died of diseases.

Quote:
There living met their needs and many of the cultures in the Americas were pretty advanced compared to the Europeans, what they lacked was firearms and resistance against disease...
Um, 98 out of 567 is not "many."

Yes, some Indians owned stone houses and owned property and had stone fences or hedgerows marking their properties, and some Indians even built apartment buildings.

But those were a minority, not the majority.

Why do you think Abraham Lincoln, as a captain of a cavalry troop in the Illinois National Guard, was able to wipe out 3 villages of the elderly, women and children of the Sacs & Fox?

That's because the men of the Sacs & Fox all had to leave to go talk with the Winnebago to pay for protection and then go parlay with the Kiowa, Apache, Omaha and Pawnee and convince them not to kill them as the migrated across their lands.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
True. I went to college with a bunch of Navajo kids. They had it pretty rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
LOL so yeah...I take it this is merely propaganda you got from some racist hate group. It's unfortunate how those types of groups prey on the uneducated and naive of all kinds.
Nah...I got it from the information I know myself. I don’t follow or read any hate group literature. I spit this venom for white folks who think their poop doesn’t stink just because they’re descended from Europe while forgetting the conditions their own families escaped from.

This is the internet version. You oughta see how I’d break it down to you in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies