Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 10:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Boy, this really surprised me as someone who comes from one of the Navajo Nation states. Talk about a beautiful but bleak place....that a virus can rip its way through that area just shows how deadly this thing is.

Watch the video. The Navajo just can’t catch a break. All of my life, I’ve never known them to live without horrible tragedy and poor health issues.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/18/u...rnd/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 10:50 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Boy, this really surprised me as someone who comes from one of the Navajo Nation states. Talk about a beautiful but bleak place....that a virus can rip its way through that area just shows how deadly this thing is.

Watch the video. The Navajo just can’t catch a break. All of my life, I’ve never known them to live without horrible tragedy and poor health issues.

CNN should be ashamed (but honestly this is par for the course for them). Sure, let's assume their infection rate is truly higher than NY (vs simply being a side effect of number of test administered), without knowing the real world impact of infections (e.g. hospitalizations, deaths), that number is meaningless. What's even more telling:

Quote:
The nation has one of the strictest stay-at-home orders in the country, mandating that residents not leave their homes unless there is an emergency or they are essential workers.

Even those who leave home for work must have documentation on company letterhead with a verifiable contact number for a manager in order to go.
So CNN is implying that more extreme lock downs are meaningless?

Complete junk reporting. They are so callous and empowered that they can send out completely different messages but yet feel confident that the tone of the article is all that is necessary for folks to buy into their narrative (CV19 affects 'minorities' disproportionately).

Old 05-18-2020, 11:09 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
I see no bias in the CNN report. What if what they reported is true? I know, that doesn't fit some minds very well but what if its actually true? It follows a lot of patterns, such as genetic biases can lead to higher infection rates.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:01 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I see no bias in the CNN report. What if what they reported is true? I know, that doesn't fit some minds very well but what if its actually true? It follows a lot of patterns, such as genetic biases can lead to higher infection rates.
So let's play along and say their article is true based on what was reported (vs what was implied). If so, then while the Navajo's may well be infected at a higher rate, they are not reporting more deaths or hospitalizations. The implication then could be interpreted as while Navajos are more susceptible to catch the virus, they are LESS susceptible to require hospitalization or to die from the virus. If I were a Navajo, I'd gladly accept that tradeoff (as would a significant portion of NYC'ers if they had the option).

So then, what is the message? One would hope that if CNN were going to imply correlation, or more daringly, causation, that they would actually follow through with more real numbers (how much more difficult could it be to find out the hospitalization/mortality rate)? Instead we get neither, just a weak irrelevant (but headline grabbing) statistic with zero follow through with an explicit tie in to a narrative that has equally as little evidence behind it.

That said, I'm not saying that there isn't a possibility of there being a relationship between race (and by race I mean genetically, not culturally) and the negative effects (simply having the virus is not a negative effect) of the virus. I'm just saying that the article, as is, doesn't go beyond a second graders logic in establishing that relationship.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:15 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
So let's play along and say their article is true based on what was reported (vs what was implied). If so, then while the Navajo's may well be infected at a higher rate, they are not reporting more deaths or hospitalizations. The implication then could be interpreted as while Navajos are more susceptible to catch the virus, they are LESS susceptible to require hospitalization or to die from the virus. If I were a Navajo, I'd gladly accept that tradeoff (as would a significant portion of NYC'ers if they had the option).

So then, what is the message? One would hope that if CNN were going to imply correlation, or more daringly, causation, that they would actually follow through with more real numbers (how much more difficult could it be to find out the hospitalization/mortality rate)? Instead we get neither, just a weak irrelevant (but headline grabbing) statistic with zero follow through with an explicit tie in to a narrative that has equally as little evidence behind it.

That said, I'm not saying that there isn't a possibility of there being a relationship between race (and by race I mean genetically, not culturally) and the negative effects (simply having the virus is not a negative effect) of the virus. I'm just saying that the article, as is, doesn't go beyond a second graders logic in establishing that relationship.
True. If Navajos are getting infected more but there is no corresponding increase in hospitalizations, CNN could run with this headline: “Certain minorities are more successful in fighting off coronavirus.” Wouldn’t fit the narrative, though.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:17 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Infection does not equal death or even symptoms. Totally irrelevant article.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:20 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Infection does not equal death or even symptoms. Totally irrelevant article.
In fact, the MORE increases in infections WITHOUT a corresponding increase in hospitalizations or deaths is excellent news.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
In fact, the MORE increases in infections WITHOUT a corresponding increase in hospitalizations or deaths is excellent news.

There is no discussion of the rate of hospitalization or death so we don't know what that stat is. In my search for the rate of those stats, I have found a few thing. First the 'Nation' covers many states and so that hospitalization is not centered in one area -- harder to track...and also hospitals are not close by.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on-coronavirus
“We don’t have enough hospital beds for individuals to recover, so we’ve had to send people home where the virus is spread,” said Nez. After multiple family outbreaks, up to 150 coronavirus patients will now be temporarily housed in three converted community gyms, instead of being sent home.

It is cause for concerrn. Hopefully they start the downward slope soon.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:39 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Never heard of this before last week, not the Navajo but the Choctaw.

Quote:
DUBLIN — More than 170 years ago, the Choctaw Nation sent $170 to starving Irish families during the potato famine. A sculpture in County Cork commemorates the generosity of the tribe, itself poor. In recent decades, ties between Ireland and the Choctaws have grown.
Now hundreds of Irish people are repaying that old kindness, giving to a charity drive for two Native American tribes suffering in the Covid-19 pandemic. As of Tuesday, the fund-raiser has raised more than $1.8 million to help supply clean water, food and health supplies to people in the Navajo Nation and the Hopi Reservation, with hundreds of thousands of dollars coming from Irish donors, according to the organizers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/w...an-tribes.html

Old 05-19-2020, 05:39 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Like New York, imposing a strict lockdown cooping everyone up together is an effective way to spread the virus.

Hope we learn from this and they get the best treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies