Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 12:10 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times

Advertisements

Since the ChiComs are openly putting the "One country, two systems" farce to an end, that gives President Trump the go-ahead to give formal recognition to the nation of Taiwan. He formally recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, so as long as the pretense is being swept aside, Taiwan should be recognized as well. I hope he does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 12:12 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
It is pretty cool actually. Unlike in China, she can speak without censorship and so can we, while at the same time recognizing her views for what they are.

In China, that is not how it works at all.
honestly, I am not convinced that this person is outside of China. i still say, this is a propagandist working for the CCP.... literally.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
honestly, I am not convinced that this person is outside of China. i still say, this is a propagandist working for the CCP.... literally.
Yeah, I do not know where she is located physically, and it does not really matter. But she is pretty clearly an appologist for the CCP and her posts here usually promote the propaganda of the CCP.

She can do that here. And people can agree or disagree. That is one of the things that makes America as a nation arguably better than China.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:09 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Yeah, I do not know where she is located physically, and it does not really matter. But she is pretty clearly an appologist for the CCP and her posts here usually promote the propaganda of the CCP.

She can do that here. And people can agree or disagree. That is one of the things that makes America as a nation arguably better than China.
It is most certrainly one of the number of ways that the US is superior to China... But what I will say that as comically hawkish and off as her opinions are on China, she definitely isn't an actual wumao because she has, for a number of years, referred to the CCP leaders as "eunuchs" and lambasted them for not crushing taiwan and HK and initiating a hot war with the US or other nations who openly defy China; real Wumaos will never speak ill of the Party, and would instead say something like, "watch how little Taiwan and stupid America cry when China crushes you and no one can stop us," or "HK is very lucky that China's leaders are so kind to it, I would rather kill all the cockroaches," etc. They would take a hard-line stance but never denigrate the party.

China knows what would happen if they tried to invade taiwan, and that's why they don't.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:52 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It is most certrainly one of the number of ways that the US is superior to China... But what I will say that as comically hawkish and off as her opinions are on China, she definitely isn't an actual wumao because she has, for a number of years, referred to the CCP leaders as "eunuchs" and lambasted them for not crushing taiwan and HK and initiating a hot war with the US or other nations who openly defy China; real Wumaos will never speak ill of the Party, and would instead say something like, "watch how little Taiwan and stupid America cry when China crushes you and no one can stop us," or "HK is very lucky that China's leaders are so kind to it, I would rather kill all the cockroaches," etc. They would take a hard-line stance but never denigrate the party.

China knows what would happen if they tried to invade taiwan, and that's why they don't.
Dudes and dudetts...I’m flattered that you’re so irked by me. Yup I am a china apologist. You got me. Lol. As for an invasion, it might just come sooner than anyone thinks . I’ve already stated my view and it’s really up to Tsai. I hope she doesn’t disappoint her followers once again by shying away from declaration of an ROT. She can also null and void the ROC constitution or invite US warships to Taiwan or any of the islands ....all of those are red lines that she hadn’t had the courage to cross. I am actually rooting for her to cross them. You should too.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:01 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Who cares? China unleashed this pandemic on the world.

Recognize Taiwan NOW!!!!
One American maniac with an AR mows down ten people and there are 30 threads and hundreds of responses demanding the end to gun rights in this country (while they endlessly hurl insults at law abiding gun owners).

Chinese Communist Party brings the entire world to its knees and is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands?

You know the answer.

F China.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:26 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yes, the mainland won’t do anything unless the green frogs on Taiwan force the issue. The fate of china’s unification is in their hands. They need to cross the red lines drawn by the anti-secession law to force china’s hands. The Chinese are too conservative and scared to take bold steps so they’ll need to be forced. This is the problem with the current Chinese leaders...too conservative and too risk adverse. They don’t have the in your face attitude of mao or the daring attitude of Deng....they only care about naive and ultimately self defeating things like peaceful rise and peaceful unification. From history, what country has risen peacefully? What unification did not come at a cost? To want to do these things in a peaceful way is quaint at best and stupid at worst. I hope Chinese leaders are seeing the folly of their past hopes and dreams and get down to being more pragmatic. The only way to unify is the military solution. The only way to deter external interference is through nuclear deterrence. So build up those DF 41 and make sure everything is ready, even if Tsai sends out peace offering....because she is a liar and a taidu at the core. I bet when China finally does what it needs to do in regard to Taiwan, most of the world would be fine and the US and the west will whine a little bit then go back to business as usual. After all it’s an internal chinese civil war thing anyway.
When are they going to give up this "One China" fantasy? Taiwan has its own government, its own military, its own economy. Its been that way for 80 years!! To pretend that Taiwan is just a rogue province of China is laughable. Taiwan should declare its own republic, and the rest of the world - including PRC - should recognize it and then we can all move on, living in reality.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

I had to look up the term "wumoa" as I have not seen that one before. In any case, here is an article from Foreign Policy magazine that addresses that issue, for anyone that is interested:

Quote:
China’s Communist party raises army of nationalist trolls

While Russia has traditionally relied on bots to push its agenda online, China’s Communist party has raised a volunteer troll army of real people, most of them young men, to go online and attack its enemies.

For years, China’s nationalist trolls were known as “50 cents”, or wumao, for the Rmb0.50 they were said to earn for each patriotic post. But more recently a new breed of volunteer warrior has emerged, nicknamed the “bring-your-own-rations wumao” for their willingness to work without pay. Some like to call themselves “little pinks”, a name derived from the colour of a popular online forum used by nationalists.

With nationalism on the rise, fuelled by China’s economic ascent and perceptions of western decline, the propaganda drive has gone global. “Tell the China story well and build China’s soft power,” President Xi Jinping urged delegates at the party’s 19th congress in October.
In any case, her more critical comments are not anti-CCP, by any means. They tend to encourage more extreme intolerance and militarism from the party. She wants MORE of the worst of what the CCP has to offer, with none of the restraint that the CCP has shown up until this time.

To me, she is helping to pave the way and to provide cover for a new wave of terror. If and when they bring it - and with their actions and comments with regards to Taiwan and Hong Kong lately, they look like they want to - she will have helped to cheer that on.

This is not anti-CCP. Not by any means. Her credentials as far as a potential "wumao" are not only intact, they may actually be stronger than ever with this kind of talk.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
When are they going to give up this "One China" fantasy? Taiwan has its own government, its own military, its own economy. Its been that way for 80 years!! To pretend that Taiwan is just a rogue province of China is laughable. Taiwan should declare its own republic, and the rest of the world - including PRC - should recognize it and then we can all move on, living in reality.
Hopefully soon after the election in November, President Trump will 1) formally recognize Taiwan as an independent nation, and 2) End recognition of this "one country, two systems" silliness.

The ChiComs have ended their pretense about it with their vote to squash the legal rights of Hong Kong, in violation of the treaty obligations under which the island was returned to them in 1997. With that bold move, it is time for everyone else to stop pretending as well.

Hong Kong is likely finished. But Taiwan could benefit from this change greatly.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:01 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Right. China should immediately invade and prove itself not a paper tiger, or shut up and accept the situation. I totally agree. All that chines money going into all those new ships and planes in the chinese military need to be used. In the process if Taiwan is completely destroyed, well I guess that’s the cost of reality....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies