Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 11:29 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Your closest match: Libertarian Capitalism

I don't know how my capitalist score wasn't 100 and my liberty score only being 89% was surprising too.
THAT's what they give you to chart your "results" on???

Something that says "Markets" and "Equality" are on opposite ends of the same axis? And that either one is an equally legitimate intention of government??

"Markets" are what you have when everyone has the same chance to earn money, and to exchange it for what others have. OTOH what they call "Equality" is what you have when some outside force reaches in and takes what you earned, and transfers it to someone who didn't earn it.

They are certainly opposites. But they are about as far as you can get from "equally desirous goals" of government. One is freedom, and one is theft.

The others are also interesting. Do you have more "Liberty" if you have less "Authority"? Is a society completely without any laws or rules, more at Liberty than a society that makes murder, theft, and rape illegal and severely punishable? If all humans in the society are perfect, and would never do any of those heinous things, than maybe a society with zero rules of any kind would be viable. But has there ever been a society of perfect humans, any time in human history?

This is another "test" that is based on pure garbage for its assumptions of what you can (or should) be.

A useless test, for actual humans in the real world. As I have pointed out before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 07:06 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Closest match:

Neo Liberalism ROFLMAO!!

Not a big fan of the way some of the questions were worded..... tending to make me want to hit the gray neutral response in the middle, when I probably would have answered differently it it was worded differently.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:08 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
around 52 right on all 4 axis except peace, which was like 46 Nation.

Some questions were tainted by the use of all, always etc which skews their answer.

Edit messed up answer.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:26 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

I originally found this test on actualized.org forums, a personal development site. As people get more "higher consciousness" they tend to become more and more progressive, but not always. Personally I think too much progressiveness can be as dangerous as too little. The test is interesting because one can still be progressive but not authoritarian.

Their answers are all over the place but lean a bit more progressive. What I would be curious to see are the results of people who heavily favored the lockdowns, since most people tend to score low on the "authority" scale versus liberty. Talk is cheap though, many people say things and do the opposite... for example progressives love to travel, and though they don't like the CO2 levels and carbon emissions, many of them have visited 30 countries and fly all the time. Many people live a lifestyle contrary to what they tell people their views are or what they rationalize in their minds their views to be... it makes them sleep better at night.

Here's the link to that forum:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/top...l-quiz/?page=1

Last edited by sholomar; 05-21-2020 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-21-2020, 07:43 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Attached Thumbnails
The Eight Values Political Test-eight-values-test.jpg  

Old 05-21-2020, 08:08 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Scanned through the first twenty questions or so. At least half of them were vague and un-answerable.

For example:
1.) It is important that the government follows the majority opinion, even if it is wrong.
How does the govt know what the majority opinion is? The results of a formal vote? If so, then following it is not only important, it is mandatory. But if they get it from polls in the media, or "likes" on twitter, or etc., then they should do what they (the govt) thinks is best. That's what the people elected them to do.

2.) All authority should be questioned.
Sure, why not? The Chinese people can question Xi Jinping, and the Russian people should question Vlad Putin, etc. Won't do them any good, and won't change what the govt will do. But yeah, questioning sounds good to me.

3.) My religious values should be spread as much as possible.
What does this have to do with government? Or political philosophy?

4.) Environmental regulations are essential.
Some at the state or local level are. But very few at the Federal level are. And the Fed govt has no authority to issue environmental regulation.

5.) Gun ownership should be prohibited for those without a valid reason.
No. Finally, a clear proposal with a clear answer. Too bad it took 5 questions to come up with one.

6.) Churches should be taxed the same way other institutions are taxed.
Which other institutions? Some others are taxed heavily. Other are taxed lightly if at all. Some are double-taxed, etc.

7.) It is necessary for the government to intervene in the economy to protect consumers.
Very seldom. And when the govt does, it usually makes things worse instead of better. Best done (if at all) at the local level.

This "test" keeps pretending that the things it brings up have a simple, yes/no answer when most aren't even close.

A useless test.
Without a doubt, written by a soft-Communist Leftie.

One of the questions: From each according to their abilities to each according to their needs.
  1. Not a question.
  2. A direct quote from Karl Marx advocating for redistribution of wealth.

I suppose it was still an interesting political compass test, but why are the people who write these things disciples of Karl Marx? Advocating for Marxism is an extremely Far-Left position. Other examples are questions obsessing with religions being taxed, religions involvement in government and a whole host of others.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:12 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

One of the questions: From each according to their abilities to each according to their needs.
  1. Not a question.

I suppose it was still an interesting political compass test, but why are the people who write these things disciples of Karl Marx? Advocating for Marxism is an extremely Far-Left position. Other examples are questions obsessing with religions being taxed, religions involvement in government and a whole host of others.

I believe in survival of the fittest (within reason) personally and think leftists basically usurp God to play God, by hijacking the basic laws of nature in the end, forcing everyone to be equal when they most certainly are NOT. It's an oversimplification of my views but it's meant to poke at lefties even though I kind of am one somewhat (see my test results) . If it was up to them they'd make lions be vegans (even though a lion's stomach cannot digest plant matter) because being a carnivore is not "compassionate." You see the problem here. Giving a helping hand and being compassionate is one thing, forcing people to adopt your strict way of viewing the world when it goes against the laws of nature is another. Communists support compassion but in the end they end up killing all non-believers time and time again... such compassion... in reality they are acting out of their herd animal instincts, tricked into thinking it's something more...

Last edited by sholomar; 05-21-2020 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-21-2020, 08:37 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Centrist with some leanings toward equality (65.4%) and progress (59.8%); otherwise roughly equal. Sounds about right.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Your closest match: Social Liberalism.

8 Values Political Test

Old 05-21-2020, 09:59 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

1. Not a question.

Even Jesus and Prophet Muhammad advocated charity for the poor by the rich ?? Were they leftists??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies