Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 04:22 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,553,546 times

Advertisements

I have thought about it for a while and I don't think the cop thing will ever be solved by the cops / government.
  • This has been going on in this country since before 1996. Rodney King anyone?
  • Each time this happens there are riots and police in question get arrested and put on trial (this is not exactly fun for anyone).
  • But it keeps happening. Now can we presume that all the police officers are racists out to kill people? No that is ridiculous. Why would they go through this if they didn't have to. Not to mention the civil rights civil cases that are a LOT greater in number. (and involve a lot of white people).
  • More likely this is the way it has to be. Police officers have to shoot first and ask questions later and government has to allow them to do this... why?
  • because no one in their right mind would ever become a police officer without assurances that if they felt threatened they could do what they felt was necessary.

So the logical conclusion is this... if black people (and it is mostly black) really want this to stop they have to change their behavior. Not a cop but I have seen black people with cops and I just think there is a cultural disconnect. When a police officer says to a white person, stop, put your hands up.. they DO IT. Quickly as if they know if they don't they are facing death if they don't. Black people... nope... they fuddle with their shirt, they keep talking, they look down -- as if the police officer doesn't really mean it.

Not saying there aren't bully cops and not saying they aren't disgraces to the force but when I am confronted with such a person, I instinctively act differently. I do what they say, I give them no lip, and get away from them as soon as possible.

The cops aren't ever going to change and no matter the lip service the government isn't going to ask them to. So if you are really concerned about people teach them how to react when dealing with a police officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 04:26 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,300,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I have thought about it for a while and I don't think the cop thing will ever be solved by the cops / government.
  • Each time this happens there are riots and police in question get arrested and put on trial (this is not exactly fun for anyone).
  • But it keeps happening. Now can we presume that all the police officers are racists out to kill people? No that is ridiculous. Why would they go through this if they didn't have to. Not to mention the civil rights civil cases that are a LOT greater in number. (and involve a lot of white people).
  • More likely this is the way it has to be. Police officers have to shoot first and ask questions later and government has to allow them to do this... why?
  • because no one in their right mind would ever become a police officer without assurances that if they felt threatened they could do what they felt was necessary.

So the logical conclusion is this... if black people (and it is mostly black) really want this to stop they have to change their behavior. Not a cop but I have seen black people with cops and I just think there is a cultural disconnect. When a police officer says to a white person, stop, put your hands up.. they DO IT. Quickly as if they know if they don't they are facing death if they don't. Black people... nope... they fuddle with their shirt, they keep talking, they look down -- as if the police officer doesn't really mean it.

Not saying there aren't bully cops and not saying they aren't disgraces to the force but when I am confronted with such a person, I instinctively act differently. I do what they say, I give them no lip, and get away from them as soon as possible.

The cops aren't ever going to change and no matter the lip service the government isn't going to ask them to. So if you are really concerned about people teach them how to react when dealing with a police officer.
Ever notice one common thing? When these things happen the majority of times they are fighting the cops.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:32 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,262,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

I could give you a list of white people who were being violent and the police arrested them without violence like that Ruth kid who shoot up the church in South Carolina and they took him to Burger King after the arrest BUT I rather show this.
Attached Thumbnails
Why the cop thing will never be solved by the cops...-progress.jpg  

Old 05-31-2020, 04:32 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Ever notice one common thing? When these things happen the majority of times they are fighting the cops.
I mean not to generalize but I have been black people with cops or cop like people and they just seem to think it is ok to fight. To try to get away. Not to do what is commanded. As if what has been asked of them is a request not a command. I truly think it is a cultural issue. Perhaps white people are just too puritanical. My boss is black and he definitely has explained in depth to his children how to behave whenever with a police officer. There is a procedure you just do and I swear to god that black community has get serious and teach their people how to behave because this is never going to change -- from the police officer / government perspective. No matter how many times you riot. And frankly (as likely proven by civil rights cases) 99% of the time the police are ruled to have been in the right by a jury or a judge.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:34 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,463 times
We need true citizen police, not people who have never lived in a city who drive 40 miles one way to work. Let the wonderful Democrats in Minnesota figure this one out and then make it worse like they have for 50 years. The stupid Swedes and Norwegians will keep voting for them no matter what.

Old 05-31-2020, 04:47 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times
Why the cop thing will never be solved by the cops...

Or: why the thug thing will never be solved by the thugs.

There are two sides to every story

Old 05-31-2020, 04:58 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,356,057 times
The police don't need to "fix" anything. They aren't doing anything wrong. Tell the bad guys and gals to stop being thug criminals. The police don't make the call that gets them in contact with the "victim" thugs, other concerned citizens do. Police are merely doing their jobs.

Last edited by self-made; 05-31-2020 at 05:59 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 05:06 PM

7,938 posts, read 9,160,764 times
When black children are raised to believe that cops are your sworn enemy, they do not grow up to become cops. That keeps the police force white and less likely to understand what you are going thru as a black person.
Want to decrease police brutality against blacks? Increase the number of black cops.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:56 PM

185 posts, read 253,278 times
The cop thing could be solved by the cops. Habitual offenders? The entire force denied raises. Convicted offender? Lose your pension. Have a dirty partner and don't say anything? You're both fired.

I'm angry so just being dramatic but you can hit people where it hurts.

And the last thing I would ever do is tell a black mother or father how to raise their children. If black people are afraid of the police or don't automatically comply, there must be a reason. If there is an easy way and a hard way to deal with police, there must be a reason why some black people chose the hard way.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:24 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I could give you a list of white people who were being violent and the police arrested them without violence like that Ruth kid who shoot up the church in South Carolina and they took him to Burger King after the arrest BUT I rather show this.
Christ, this again? You realize that police departments do feed the people they arrest, right? And again, cherry picking. There are white arrestees who were taken down before being taken in, and there are blacks who were arrested peacefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies